Is Tanking Explicitly Against The Rules?

the lone star

11 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

The Browns last season come to mind, they drafted a QB, Kizer in round 2 and threw him to the wolves right out of the gate and stuck with him through a 0-16 season. IMO, they definitely tanked the season on purpose as their GM tried to rebuild the franchise, thinking foolishly, that the owner had guaranteed him 5 years to get the job done and he paid the price!!!

I do not think coaches or players tank.  I do think GMs and owners tank.  The Browns are a great example.  They have even told everyone they are doing it with their 3 year plan.

If we talk MLB then some teams have done it as part of their "turnaround" process.  Cubs and Astros come to mind.  Both teams jettisoned talent for young players and sucked for several years while they developed.   Then there is the Pirates who's owner just jettisons talent to make more money.  The Marlins have started this path.  Are they trying to be the Cubs or the Pirates?

The NFL is cyclical so the bad teams should be getting the better players via the draft.  That the draft is a crapshoot and football is the ultimate team sport makes it very hard to do a quick turnaround without some really good talent people in the FO.

On 2/20/2018 at 9:19 PM, SkippyX said:

The Browns played 2 OT games last year. They lost 3 other games by 3 points.

The only team I knew for sure was tanking in the NFL was the Suck for Luck Colts.

They started a guy for 8 games who's QB rating was 9.8 the year before. (Painter)

About the Browns, you are wrong. You have to remember that when teams play the 1-31 Browns, they have zero emotion for the game and have already marked down a win for themselves. That is why last place teams almost always win around 3 games, every game for them is a Super Bowl, while their opponent puts out as little as possible and without emotion, a pro team is always ripe for an upset!!!

Losing 16 games is almost impossible unless the GM is trying to tank or is so incompetent, that he needs to be replaced!

On 2/17/2018 at 2:37 PM, Jakuvious said:

There's no explicit rule against it, no. Nothing that literally says no tanking or no intentional losing or making a half-assed effort to win or something. There are a few rules that are kind of tangentially no tanking rules though. Teams must in good faith submit accurate injury reports, so you can't, for instance, claim a bunch of key players are injured when they aren't to keep them out. The trade deadline is basically an anti-tanking rule, to keep teams out of the playoffs late from dumping players to contenders. The salary cap floor can kind of be interpreted as anti-tanking as well, though it isn't really effective enough to do that job.

But really, most of what prevents tanking in the NFL is just inherent to the league. Careers and rosters have inherently short shelf-lives. This leads to owners being impatient with GMs, GMs being impatient with head coaches, and head coaches being impatient with players. Unless you have a really substantial amount of guaranteed job security as a GM or head coach, it's generally not worth the risk to tank. You hurt your resume for a better draft pick, which you may be fired before you can spend, or, if you survive that, you may still be fired before that player develops and contributes. You'd really need a guarantee that they'll stick with you for a few years no matter what, and even then, you'd be taking them at their word. The voices of fans and the allure or ticket and merchandise sales can override a lot of promises.

And even after that, if it's deemed worth it to tank, there's the actual logistics of doing that. I'm 100% confident that if a coach or GM went to players and asked them to throw games or go half effort, they'd lose the team for good. You could cut players, but keeping them for trade or until they could get you a comp pick is always more worthwhile. You could simply bench significant players, but if it isn't well-justified, and those players are part of your long term plans, you risk upsetting fans and alienating players (see: last year Giants and Eli.) And with so few games, one win vs loss can be the difference of several draft spots, so even if you want to tank at the top of the team, one well-executed game by your team or one really bad game by the opposition can still screw it up.

I just don't think the way the league is and is set up incentivizes tanking. Now you will see teams make decisions to prioritize the future over the present (starting a younger, but currently worse player over a better, but older one, cutting good but expensive players, etc.), but I'd argue that that's not quite the same, since they're still trying to win the games they're playing at the time.

This is a perfect response IMO.

On 2/20/2018 at 9:19 PM, SkippyX said:

They started a guy for 8 games who's QB rating was 9.8 the year before. (Painter)

Perfect example of a someone that just quickly googles a name and looks at a quick stat in a column without actually reading what they even googled for in the first place.  

I have lost all hope for humanity any more.....

Archived