DJ Moore - Possible 1st round target?

paraven

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Moore essentially gives us a Ray Rice out on the wing of the offense to toast a helpless corner for YAC.

I've seen Moore take snaps at running back, it would be crazy if we used him as our satellite back at times. We could get some real mismatches going and bring back that terror to the Baltimore offense.

50 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Ideally we don't take DJ Moore in the 1st round, it would be amazing to get him in the 2nd, that would the best case scenario. I don't think anyone of us is calling for him to be our 1st round pick, only that if all other options have exhausted themselves it would be fine to take him in the 1st. 

I am and fully expect him to be a first round pick 

12 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Who do you think picks him?

us at 16 B|

but seriously, I could see Buffalo, Carolina, NO, and NE go WR. He will rise up draft boards, Daniel Jeremiah who I think is one of the better draft guys has him as his #3 Wr, and this is pre combine. 

3 hours ago, Danand said:

On the video I posted, DJ Moore consistently struggled to get open, and he mostly used more than 3 steps to set up the defender at LOS, which means he takes some time to actually get into his route.

I am not saying he is a bad player, I just say I don't see 1. round potential in him.

This receiver is 20 years old. You’re talking about making his feet more efficient. That’s something that can be taught. You can’t teach Moore’s ability in the open field. He has elite RB vision in the open field. He has tackle escaping ability. He attacks the football. He switches gears on his routes already.

Mark my words, minus some sort of significant injury, this dudes floor is Derrick Mason. His ceiling is Steve Smith.

This guy somehow managed to break a 23 year record at Maryland with 80 receptions, while playing with 5 different quarterbacks. He picked up over 1000 yds in an offense that only put up about 1600 yds passing. With horrible QB play, he capped the potential of what could be accomplished. There’s no way that such a skill set isn’t able to translate to the NFL level.

From both a production standpoint. And skill set. He’s a cant miss prospect.

I'm sry, but we could say the same thing about Perriman hence the things he just need to improve on. That is something almost every prospect him. Still, some of them have a physical ceiling, others a mental ceiling for how much they can incoorporate into their skillset.

The record is impressive with 5 QB's, and none of them threw the ball well. However, it could also be a case of him being force fed the ball.

I like the age, I like the mental aspect of his game where he attacks opposing players, I love how he always manages to fall forward like a RB, do I think he will be a good player in the NFL, yes, do I think he belong in the 1. round? No.

If he sneaks in at 30-32 I am not surprised, but I see teams getting better value other players. Simply, the 3. round mock I am currently doing has about 50 players I would pick before him.

I don’t know... I see Kirk out running coverage and pursuit a lot... Whereas Moore seems to always have a guy right in his pocket and although he makes contested catches I see him more as a day two prospect... I think Kirk is going to test extremely well so even though I think he too is a day two late first prospect at best... I believe his combine is gonna push him up draft boards... 

7 hours ago, berlin calling said:

with the offense MM is running Kirk is the weapon if choice to me, plain and simple. draft him in the 1st and be done with, get a consistent 1k+ receiver who actually has the ability to gain yac. As Campanero will probably be gone he could also be the returner this team lacked since Jacoby Jones.

I’m sorry but if we have a 1000 yds receiver there’s no way I want him returning kicks. MAYBE punts, but only as a rookie. No way I want to expose such an important player to injuries.

8 hours ago, EastsideEZ said:

I don’t know... I see Kirk out running coverage and pursuit a lot... Whereas Moore seems to always have a guy right in his pocket and although he makes contested catches I see him more as a day two prospect... I think Kirk is going to test extremely well so even though I think he too is a day two late first prospect at best... I believe his combine is gonna push him up draft boards... 

This is because Kirk’s offense consistently gives him clean releases by way of motioning him. He’s also going up against nickel corners in the slot, who are generally only the third best cornerback on their squad.

That’s the reason why he’s outrunning coverage whereas Moore is playing against higher level competition and gets less help via his OC giving him mismatch opportunities. Thus he makes contested catches. But when in the slot, he gets similar separation... and that’s without all the offensive manufacturing and while playing in an overall more simplistic offense.

I think that’s the number one reason, Moore is the best option. He plays in a very simple offense, the Ravens run a very simply offense. He’s a beast producing against bubble screens, MM uses a host of bubble screens. He does a good job against contested catches. We don’t have to worry about manufacturing offense for Moore to be successful. Kirk will go from being the #1 focus of his offensive coordinator (the spoiled kid) to being in a basic offense where he will have to go back to creating ever from the ground up. Which I think he can do, but between the two, I just see Moore as moore special in that regard, moore versatile.

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m sorry but if we have a 1000 yds receiver there’s no way I want him returning kicks. MAYBE punts, but only as a rookie. No way I want to expose such an important player to injuries.

AB does it for the Steelers. Occasionally, should have added that.

Of course you need a dedicated returner but somebody with Kirks ability should def. be used for returns every now and then just like JJ was.

Directly from Christian Kirk's weaknesses section of his draft profile on the NFL site,

"Benefitted from variety of rub routes that got him wide open."

You could tell DJ Moore had to gear down to accommodate his weak armed college QBs, that won't be a problem here with the Ravens. Flacco is the biggest man in the league, the 'Italian Bomber'. Lately he's been forced to bomb within 5 yards of the LOS, but that's why we need to get him some weapons.

I think DJ checks all the boxes. I've seen him do everything from burn outside corners deep, to moving the chains by getting open quickly on an inside slant from the slot. He's quick, fast, and explosive. Bubble screens were both, to take advantage of his skill set and to mitigate the poor play of his QBs through easy completions. He is in no way, a player we'd have to manufacture touches for. 

From what I've seen and read of Christian Kirk, he'd be a solid pick. A double, as Ozzie Newsome would say. But he's not going to be much more than that. He might be a big producer from the slot (although the Ravens rarely get any sort of production from slot receivers), but that's his ceiling.

DJ Moore, in my opinion, can be a home run. Similar size to Kirk, but faster and more athletic. Is he the finished article? No, of course not. If he was he'd be a consensus top ten pick. But he has the tools to become more than Kirk possibly could. The Ravens have to be looking at him, and thinking of his potential to transform this offense. If his draft stock explodes (which it probably will), and he becomes a guaranteed first rounder, then so be it. The only calculation they should have to do is whether to take him at #16 or trade down a few spots.

16 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

This is because Kirk’s offense consistently gives him clean releases by way of motioning him. He’s also going up against nickel corners in the slot, who are generally only the third best cornerback on their squad.

That’s the reason why he’s outrunning coverage whereas Moore is playing against higher level competition and gets less help via his OC giving him mismatch opportunities. Thus he makes contested catches. But when in the slot, he gets similar separation... and that’s without all the offensive manufacturing and while playing in an overall more simplistic offense.

I think that’s the number one reason, Moore is the best option. He plays in a very simple offense, the Ravens run a very simply offense. He’s a beast producing against bubble screens, MM uses a host of bubble screens. He does a good job against contested catches. We don’t have to worry about manufacturing offense for Moore to be successful. Kirk will go from being the #1 focus of his offensive coordinator (the spoiled kid) to being in a basic offense where he will have to go back to creating ever from the ground up. Which I think he can do, but between the two, I just see Moore as moore special in that regard, moore versatile.

I just don’t see what people see in Moore... the comparison to Diggs is way off to me... Diggs showed way more explosion as a receiver and returner and outside of them both going to Maryland I don’t really see the correlation... at 16 I don’t see how Moore should be considered I don’t think Kirk should either but once again I think his combine is going to elevate him up boards.. I see Kirk benching well jumping well running in the low 4.4s and I see Moore running in the 4.5s with average strength and short area quickness... but time will tell

Archived