Mason Rudolph

Deekster37

He's not a great prospect to me. Not a single tool I'd consider great - elite. He's a marginal quarterback prospect propped up on a system that made the likes of Brandon Weeden a first round pick. Largely only reads one side of the field (and the times where read the whole field, or tried to, in the games I saw, was because he was flushed to the opposite side, but even still he kept his eyes on one side of the field outside of a couple of exceptions, and these plays typically did not end well) and doesn't go through a full progression tree. Has no experience with NFL concepts or scheme and throws more to open space than anything; he's made some tight window throws, but nothing that got me super excited.  Not super mobile, doesn't have a great arm. Seldom faced any real pressure in the pocket on a consistent basis. 

What Forge said. A lot of the love for him is based on "looks the part" nonsense. He's draftable, of course, because pretty much any QB with a track record of production is draftable just in case. But a scenario involving him becoming a successful NFL starter would have to involve him getting a lot better at a lot of different things, and that's not worth gambling an early pick, IMO.

Mason Rudolph has grown on me. He improved quite a bit this year with his accuracy. The difference between 2016 to 2017 was pretty drastic within the same limited system. The question with him is if he transcends what he did in college. What he did appeared to be pretty simplistic. He had a consistent, veteran offensive line, good skill position players. Can he function in a complex offense and be accurate while making quicker decisions while likely facing more pressure? I don't know. He's not a very good with improvising on broken plays and his lack of sudden athleticism hinders him there.

12 hours ago, Forge said:

He's not a great prospect to me. Not a single tool I'd consider great - elite. He's a marginal quarterback prospect propped up on a system that made the likes of Brandon Weeden a first round pick. Largely only reads one side of the field (and the times where read the whole field, or tried to, in the games I saw, was because he was flushed to the opposite side, but even still he kept his eyes on one side of the field outside of a couple of exceptions, and these plays typically did not end well) and doesn't go through a full progression tree. Has no experience with NFL concepts or scheme and throws more to open space than anything; he's made some tight window throws, but nothing that got me super excited.  Not super mobile, doesn't have a great arm. Seldom faced any real pressure in the pocket on a consistent basis. 

I pretty well agree with what Forge said, except maybe about his arm strength. He has a pro arm, is a large QB who can take a pounding, but Forge's remarks about Weedom make me stop and wonder about him. I think he will be a project who needs to sit for at least a year, to bring his techniques up to snuff. 

It looks like he will be a late 1st round pick, so pro scouts and GM's must think there is something there, although late 1st round QB's only succeed at around a 6% success rate. 

I like it fellas and thanks for the talk but I have seen this before and like it thanks for the arm strength comment  cuz I think he has......enough!!!!! mobility i know that game hence being a Packer fan but I think he has stuff that some gm's will love and I wasn't high on weeden back then either I just see something different thanks again fellas talk again soon 

3 minutes ago, Deekster37 said:

I like it fellas and thanks for the talk but I have seen this before and like it thanks for the arm strength comment  cuz I think he has......enough!!!!! mobility i know that game hence being a Packer fan but I think he has stuff that some gm's will love and I wasn't high on weeden back then either I just see something different thanks again fellas talk again soon 

I have been a draftnik for an awful long time and sometimes a prospect gets downgraded because of who coached him, especially, if that college HC has produced numerous drafted QB's who then went on to flop. This is what happened to Rodgers, his college HC had produced many high drafted QB's who had all flopped and it caused GM's to shy away from Rodgers.

However, like Rodgers, sometimes a prospect can change a perception and go on to do great things, but Rudolph will be a late 1st round QB because of his HC's past abilities to produced a solid NFL franchise QB. Ditto for Falk. Their HC's have shown, they do not need a pro style QB to win games, their system can make a QB  look far better than he actually is and they are masters at hiding a QB's weaknesses, so team will be tentative about drafting Rudolph.

I agree sir I've been doing this for a long time myself this is what makes it fun for me now! This kid to me has  especially in today's game! I look past tedford and Gundy that's where people get intertwined and follow college too much!!These guys are smart in NFL they know how to adapt if they grab a guy just my opinion love the Falk quote too thanks for the talk!

Lacks zip on his throws. Lollipops the ball down the field. He can throw it far, but it doesn't travel with any velocity. He's going to throw a lot of INT's in the NFL trying to drive the ball down the field IMO.

I don't like him very much. He's below Kurt Benkert and a few others that are outside of Tier #1.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Lacks zip on his throws. Lollipops the ball down the field. He can throw it far, but it doesn't travel with any velocity. He's going to throw a lot of INT's in the NFL trying to drive the ball down the field IMO. I don't like him very much. He's below Kurt Benkert and a few others that are outside of Tier #1.

Really what it comes down to with him: He's got size, he's accurate, functional athleticism, poise, great off-field. Everything else is questionable. The arm strength, ability to process quickly, handling a complex scheme, improvisation, etc. I grade QB's the same as every position despite the absurd positional value of the position. I can't put him higher than the 4th round right now. 

Archived