Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

1 minute ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I too have backed off on Darnold. Something is off to me. Every thing he does always looks like a struggle. Yes, he was getting results but is it going to translate to success in the NFL when you are constantly having to work harder than everyone else to get the same result? I have heard and read numerous things about him bombing during chalk talk sessions with teams and where there is smoke there is at least a hot ember if not a fire. Watching him throw and drive a team down the field compared to the other QBs he just looks like a guy who is getting oftly lucky.

I was wrestling with Mayfield/Darnold for too long but I have made up my mind I'm a Baker Mayfield QB1 guy.

I disagree with you Josh Allen assessment though. Dude has some seriously shotty footwork and wildly erratic accuracy.

I would be on board with Lamar Jackson if we had an innovative coaching staff that would bring in some Zone read and RPO concepts. If we are going to try to turn him into a pure pocket passer then he's going to bust all the way.

And lastly hell freaking no to  Josh Rosen.

I agree with you completely about Jackson, he needs a coaching staff that can put together a scheme that works to his strengths.  Regarding Allen, to start now, nope, don't want that.  To sit and learn and be coached up and maybe take over in a few years.  Yes please!  Love the combo of size mobility arm strength and athleticism.  His throws just look good.  He can use touch when needed, put it on a rope when needed and the deep ball is a thing of beauty.  He just needs refinement.  He reminds me a lot of Mahomes.   We know what Dorsey thought of him.  If you remember, I said he did not need to start right away either, and he didn't.

17 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

5 out of my last 6 wives disagreed with me.

It didn't make them right. It just made them 5 idiots who had the same opinion.

There is another, logical conclusion one can draw from that experience.

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

What I have seen of both their play.

Darnold makes throws that Mayfield cannot imagine, much less make.

Now that is just silly, Mayfield's arm is better than Darnold's, without the wonky delivery that he refuses to even consider correcting.

5 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

Now that is just silly, Mayfield's arm is better than Darnold's, without the wonky delivery that he refuses to even consider correcting.

No arguing that, it’s not that Mayfield can’t make those throws it’s that he won’t because he’s more expierenced doesn’t turn the ball over. Mayfield can make every throw and then some that darnold can. Darnold is just more physically gifted and keeps to his own. Bruce let me ask you. Does it worry you darnold recently said in an interview that midway through the season he lost his confidence and that contributed to his turnover rate. I mean if your a legit no doubt franchise QB doesn’t it worry you he lost his confidence in the middle of the season and in college not nfl. 

I resisted the Baker bandwagon for a while, because of a myriad of reasons: size, police incident, Big 12 schemes, Big 12 defenses, Johnny Manziel.

I figured he had a pop-gun arm and easily injured frame because of the height. Thought his absurd completion percentage was all scheme(bubble-screens and short high %throws). Thought his TDs and wins were because of Oklahomas talent advantage over weaker Big 12 teams with cupcake defenses. I thought: police record, he is Johnny, a tiny, lazy, party monster-punk with no integrity.

Then I watched the games, every frickin throw. He IS THE BEST QB this year. Good arm, real zip. Mobile, but with the intent to prolong the play to find a throw, much like Russel Wilson and early Big Ben.

According to every interview Ive seen from people who know him(family, coaches, teammates) he is an extremely committed/hard worker and film junky. Most competitive guy on the field. Awesome leader and teammate. Extremely fast learner with near photographic memory. Learned playbook in less than a week.

And finally, the absolute number one quality required for a QB, thee MOST VITAL trait, first and foremost: Accuracy. Baker is the most naturally accurate, innately accurate, Aaron Rodgers-born accurate, QB prospect in years. His completion% is him, not scheme.

Im willing to bet my rep and place in this forum that in 3 years, he is considered the best QB in this draft, without much debate required. Mark this down. If Im wrong, slam me, ridicule me, kick me in the sack, and I will never post again. I will declare myself a total moron and complete loser as my final post. 

39 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

I resisted the Baker bandwagon for a while, because of a myriad of reasons: size, police incident, Big 12 schemes, Big 12 defenses, Johnny Manziel.

I figured he had a pop-gun arm and easily injured frame because of the height. Thought his absurd completion percentage was all scheme(bubble-screens and short high %throws). Thought his TDs and wins were because of Oklahomas talent advantage over weaker Big 12 teams with cupcake defenses. I thought: police record, he is Johnny, a tiny, lazy, party monster-punk with no integrity.

Then I watched the games, every frickin throw. He IS THE BEST QB this year. Good arm, real zip. Mobile, but with the intent to prolong the play to find a throw, much like Russel Wilson and early Big Ben.

According to every interview Ive seen from people who know him(family, coaches, teammates) he is an extremely committed/hard worker and film junky. Most competitive guy on the field. Awesome leader and teammate. Extremely fast learner with near photographic memory. Learned playbook in less than a week.

And finally, the absolute number one quality required for a QB, thee MOST VITAL trait, first and foremost: Accuracy. Baker is the most naturally accurate, innately accurate, Aaron Rodgers-born accurate, QB prospect in years. His completion% is him, not scheme.

Im willing to bet my rep and place in this forum that in 3 years, he is considered the best QB in this draft, without much debate required. Mark this down. If Im wrong, slam me, ridicule me, kick me in the sack, and I will never post again. I will declare myself a total moron and complete loser as my final post. 

I won't be slamming you.  You can tell just by listening, this dude has a starvation level hunger to be the best.  It is honestly the likes of which I have never seen.  Barring some crazy injury, I think he will be a very good QB in the NFL.  I get the impression that he has been beating the odds and proving people wrong his entire life.  Wasn't he a walk on that went on to win the heisman?

1 minute ago, DizzyDean said:

I won't be slamming you.  You can tell just by listening, this dude has a starvation level hunger to be the best.  It is honestly the likes of which I have never seen.  Barring some crazy injury, I think he will be a very good QB in the NFL.  I get the impression that he has been beating the odds and proving people wrong his entire life.  Wasn't he a walk on that went on to win the heisman?

Walked on at Texas Tech, won the starting job imediately. Then transferred and walked on at Oklahoma and, I think, won the starting job immediately.

Also very eager to compete at the combine.  There is a reason that Darnold did not want to throw.  He did not want his arm on stage side by side with the rest of the prospects.  Completely different reason than why Jackson did not want to do anything other than throw.  Darnold just raises so many red flags.  I really don't want him in a Browns uni.  Last year at this time, I did not like that QB class at all, but loved this one, I admit though, at that time Darnold was my guy to watch.  He did not ascend as I expected.  The class as a whole did though.

Archived