Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

12 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Fair points, really. But an offensive minded coach should be more than able to call plays that favor what is given to him. And at times he has without issue...2016...

And that's the problem. The only two years that Linehan has had success were the two years that he was forced OUT of his desired offense. In 2014, going into the season, the headlines were all about protecting Romos back. He was horrible the first 2 weeks of the season, and Linehan went into protection mode.

Injury roundup: Romo (back) out of Cowboys practice

Published: Sep 24, 2014 at 12:54 pm
Updated: Sep 25, 2014 at 02:48 am
Gregg Rosenthal
Gregg Rosenthal
Around The NFL Editor

Tony Romo missed a Wednesday practice once again this week for the Dallas Cowboys. It sounds like that's his new routine because of back tightness.

Romo alsomissed practice last Wednesday, which raised some red flags after two rough outings to start the year.

Of course, feeding Demarco Murray the ball 400 plus times worked. Everyone here was saying that Romo should be MVP based on his 20 throws a game, when I thought it was pretty obvious he was done. I was called every name in the book. But it was ultimately his last year.

We let Murray go, open up the new juiced Linehan version of the Romo friendly offense in 2015, and quite honestly it DID look unstoppable, and maybe Romo had some left. But Romo goes down, Weeden steps up and we don't change. Weeden can't do what Romo could. Instead of changing scheme, we bring in Cassel.  Cassel can't do it. We don't change we bring in Moore. Moore looks better than the former two because it's his Papas' system.

Weeden actually goes on to have better success with the Texans that year, and credits the Texans OCs willingness to change the offense for him. DUh

2016 happens, and we draft a RB, and Romo goes down. Then Moore goes down. We don't repeat our mistake of running the same offense. We dumb things down. We run the ball a lot. Play action. We don't open things up for Dak right away. 

We win games.

Then the off season rolls around and Linehan wants to open things up for Dak. And as, D94W, pointed out we stop doing things that were working. Dak looks uncomfortable, and everyone wants to know what happened.

There is light at the end of the tunnel though.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/270446/cowboys-using-offseason-to-define-a-dak-friendly-offense

What an ORIGINAL IDEA!!!!

“I don’t know what it entails in terms of what I want to say right now, but certainly I think when you see it, you’ll know it and we’ll go from there,” he said.

Coach Jason Garrett was asked the same thing at the combine.

“You are trying to have a system that is comprehensive enough and flexible enough that you can fit players in it and play to their strengths,” Garrett said. “No position does that apply to more than the quarterback position. We have always felt that way whether a quarterback is comfortable throwing certain routes or doing certain things in his drop. If he is better outside the pocket or inside the pocket, you always want to play to his strengths and in some way minimize things he doesn't do quite as well."

15 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

So maybe, just MAYBE.... Linehan can design a Dak friendly offense. Though it certainly appears he is an odd choice for the job.

Dak friendly stuff bugs me. The amount of read options called, the reliance on quick slot routes in '16, the outside push protection (opening a lane for the QB up the middle for when its needed) are all very Dak friendly additions the offense.

The only real changes I can see them making to make it even more 'friendly' to Dak is adding in fewer safety attack concepts, and calling more vertical option based routes so he can improv more often. Hard to imorov when all your routes are 3-7 yards.

17 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I miss Romo.

Ive always missed Romo. He will never get the love and credit he deserves for all he did because he never had the teams to do much. And the years he did (2007, 2011, 2014) we ran into a dominating NyG DL that abused him, or had a shabby call vs the Green Bay Aaron Rodgerses cost us the game.

But whats wrong with Dak? Romo didnt have a stellar second year either. Wait till Dak has his full deck again and continues to grow. We have seen that hes going to be a special one.

He looked decent in 2016 when we were actively masking and protecting him within the scheme.  He looked exposed last year when we, according to the owners son, ran an offense built for someone with near opposite skill set. Or at least, an offense designed for a QB with a little more polish in certain areas.

16 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Let’s not fool ourselves into thinking the Ealy signing is anything significant. It’s a one year deal, so there’s no guarantee that he’ll even be on the team Week 1.

Yeah, the Iggles just won a frickin SB with those 1 year prove it deals.

5 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Dak friendly stuff bugs me. The amount of read options called, the reliance on quick slot routes in '16, the outside push protection (opening a lane for the QB up the middle for when its needed) are all very Dak friendly additions the offense.

Maybe we don't need to predominately base our offense on plays run out of shotgun 11. I know most teams do, but maybe more 21 instead of 12 formations. I think Zeke does well with a lead

Archived