2018 NFL Combine (measurements in OP)

goldfishwars

58 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

But there is something more tangible, it's on film. Mayfield has a low center of gravity and great balance. That's what makes him so shifty, elusive, and slippery (along with his good agility as evidence by the shuttle and the 3CD).

For me, the only knock on Mayfield is his height and some immaturity, the height, because only 6% of current NFL QB's are as short as him and as for immaturity, I do not see it as a big issue when compared to his leadership skills, which for me, are off the charts.

He really reminds me of Brees as far as leadership is concerned and IMO, physically, he has all the rest. 

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I think the template for O'Neil is what Terron Armstead has been able to do since he got into the league as a premier athlete who has gotten stronger since being drafted in the 3rd round. That's probably where I see him going if teams view him as a bit of a project. 

If you believe he can add weight and strength, he goes round 1, if you think he is maxed out, he goes round 3. Not too many NFLers have his feet.

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

Kolton Miller with that 1.67 10 second split at 6’8... oh boy

He is a great athlete, but will it translate to excellence at the next lever, I wonder. He is actually too tall and has difficulty using his hands properly, because of it, just have to see if it works for him in the NFL? 

5 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Other than a drop in the gauntlet, and his 40 aside, Washington has looked really smooth in these drills.

He is going to be a fine pro, he's tough as nails and plays that way, CB's will not like covering him at all.

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Allen was coming off PCL surgery recovery, and his game was (and is) very different from Washington's.  That's apples-to-oranges.

My only issue with Washington's time is that he likely drops draft-stock wise for teams looking for the elite lid-lifter, and will take Chark early.  I think that's a mistake, but it's undeniable that teams love speed (and often pass up on better WR's overall because of it).

I do not think so, he was never viewed as a speed guy by NFL scouts, but he is viewed as a tough guy who will be hard to handle one on one.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

The good agility though isn't any different than his peer group, so the difference that you see as tangible, isn't directly measurable or, more importantly, necessarily translatable to the same level of success in this trait when he plays in the NFL.  Will he be just as elusive with better competition?  More elusive than Rosen/Darnold, certainly, but enough to be significant?   

Yes. That's clear on tape. His agility scores only reinforce that he's an agile and athletic QB. It doesn't need to be "directly measurable." The point of the Combine drills is to reinforce what you see or make you take a second look and reassess. It doesn't matter if his peers have similar agility. They're taller and lack the same low center of gravity and balance that make Mayfield so elusive.

Aaron Rodgers posted worse numbers in the shuttle and 3CD. Romo's numbers were similar to Mayfield's. Both Romo and Rodgers were/are very elusive QBs. If you think Mayfield suddenly isn't going to be elusive in the NFL, I just don't know what to say at this point. I can't even say you're putting too much stock into the Combine because his Combine performance doesn't make anyone question his agility.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I haven't taken the time to evaluate Mayfield or any of the other top QBs at this point because the Rams don't need a QB, but from watching the games during the season, I always came away with the impression that he's going to be a good NFL QB. He needs to reduce some of the hero ball mentality that he has, but I think he has all the goods.

10 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Lazard hitting 4.56 is a fantastic time for him.

He's the wide receiver that jumped out to me the most today that I knew nothing about.  He's big, ran fast for his size, and jumped extremely well.  And in the field drills he looked really smooth.  Overall his size and athleticism profile is very similar to a guy I loved in last year's draft Kenny Golladay. 

Allen Lazard looks like a 2nd round WR now.

9 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

There are a few receivers in the 3rd-4th round range that might emerge as legitimate starters in the NFL:

• D.J. Chark
  • Tre'Quan Smith
  • J'Mon Moore
  • Cedrick Wilson

Value-wise, I like this group more than the guys projected to go in rounds 1-2.

J'Mon Moore and Cedrick Wilson impressed me.  I know Moore ran a slow 40 but I think that fool's gold.  He jumped really well showing himself to be an explosive athlete.  He's also silky smooth as a route runner.  I might be crazy for thinking this but his game looks a lot like former Saints pro-bowl WR Joe Horn.  I'll have to watch more tape to see if that comp holds.

The big winner of the day among the WRs IMO was Antonio Callaway.  I did not think he was as fast as he tested. 4.41 is blazing.  His jumps were about what I expected.  Good but not a great athlete.  In the field drills is where he truly shined.  He looked so smooth and effortless running routes and catching the ball.  Easily the most natural WR in this draft.  Whoever gets him (because he's bound to fall because of the character concerns) will be getting a hell of a player.  He's the only clear-cut All-Pro WR I see in this draft class.  He's that special.

9 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Josh Allen, congrats on being the #1 pick

Agreed 100%.  I was a Darnold guy coming in but after seeing what Josh Allen did out there today as well as the improvement he showed at the senior bowl, I think the Browns would be stupid to take anyone else.  Physically he has it all.  Size, arm strength, athleticism, and yes accuracy.  All the talk about him not being an accurate passer was just that TALK.  I didn't see a wildly inaccurate QB at the senior bowl or the combine.  The only question now is what's between his ears.  What's his work ethic?  How competitive is he?  Is this the type of guy who cares more about football than what football will give him?  Because at the end of the day its the intangibles that make the difference between being just another guy or a legend.  If the intangibles check out with Josh Allen, only a fool would pass on him as the #1 QB in this draft.

With regard to Sam Darnold, I gotta say he had an EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTING combine.  First of all, he chickened out from the throwing.  I don't care if his agent told him to do it or if its smart business wise.  I want my QB to always be a competitor.  And when the rest of your peers are out there competing, you should also want to compete.  Its a mini red flag IMO.  The bigger red-flag was the athletic testing.  I didn't expect him to test like a freak athlete but I expected better than a 4.85 40 and 26.5 inch vertical leap.  Those are piss-poor numbers for a guy who on tape looked like a good athlete.  If he wasn't gonna throw at the combine, why didn't he work harder on the athletic testing?

I'm still not gonna bail on Darnold because his tape is so good, but he isn't as good a prospect coming out of the combine as I thought going in.   Both in terms of measureables as well as intangibles.

7 minutes ago, VanS said:

Physically he has it all.  Size, arm strength, athleticism, and yes accuracy.  All the talk about him not being an accurate passer was just that TALK.  I didn't see a wildly inaccurate QB at the senior bowl or the combine.

Wasn't Allen all over the place it the Senior Bowl practices? Specifically the accuracy drills if I remembered correctly. There's that video of him missing not only the target on the net, but missing the net entirely at one point. 

10 minutes ago, VanS said:

I didn't expect him to test like a freak athlete but I expected better than a 4.85 40 and 26.5 inch vertical leap.  Those are piss-poor numbers for a guy who on tape looked like a good athlete.  If he wasn't gonna throw at the combine, why didn't he work harder on the athletic testing?

This seems to be par for the course with you, which I enjoy, but it seems like you're taking it too far. He's shown he's a good enough athlete to get out of the pocket and make plays. Same with Mayfield who ran a 4.8 and had a poor vertical. They've both shown in game they've got more than enough to get out of harms way. 

6 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Wasn't Allen all over the place it the Senior Bowl practices? Specifically the accuracy drills if I remembered correctly. There's that video of him missing not only the target on the net, but missing the net entirely at one point. 

I got you fam

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/01/josh-allen-wyoming-senior-bowl-throw-video-miss-workout-accuracy-browns-nfl-draft

Archived