Ogletree traded to the Giants

Dr LBC

51 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

CB- Trumaine Johnson FA,Aqib Talib FA,  Richard Sherman soon to be FA,  Brashaun Breeland FA, Josh Jackson Draft

Talib’s first choice appears to be New England

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

Conflicted on this.

I was definitely an Ogletree hater. The fact that we got out of his deal and recouped a few picks is awesome. That being said, we opened up another major hole on the defense. Gonna be interesting seeing where we end this offseason. 

As I pointed out in the thread in the News forum, if you go back and look at how Wade has filled (i.e. guys he didn't inherit) out the ILB's in his defenses from his time as Chargers DC under Schottenheimer forward... it's almost entirely 4th rounders or later and the few 1st and 2nd rounders are either guys he inherited or guys who were on their 3rd or 4th contracts in the league.

For those who were wanting to toss out Cushing or Posluszny as FA pickups, assuming they're willing to come on reasonable contracts, they're much more in-play now.  Depending on what the Bears do in the draft, I can see Trevathan being a post-June-1st cut casualty.  Not likely, but possible, depending on if Fangio decides to move Floyd around.  Corey Nelson is also someone who could be worth a look as much as Todd Davis if we're talking former Broncos.  In Houston, Wade inherited Cushing and DeMeco Ryans and immediately had them go out and sign Tim Dobbins because of his experience in the scheme.  But seriously, go look at the names of the ILB's who played for Wade in defenses that were consistently Top 5 in the league, the biggest names were Brian Cushing (who finished more years on IR than he didn't) and Danny Trevathan.  That scheme pretty much gave Brandon Marshall his name in the league.  You get a couple guys who have good instincts and at least one of which does really well shedding/knifing through blocks and you're solid.

One other random thought I had about us acquiring all this Day 3 picks... we might actually take a shot at an RFA or two.  The Broncos aren't exactly in a favorable cap position and if they make a run at Cousins, we could make a run at Shaq Barrett.  They're "expected" to put a 2nd round RFA tender on him, as they've done with each of their main LB's in years past, but that's at a $2.9m cost which they might be hard-pressed to afford - but he was a UDFA so they can't put the original round tender on him and expect anything in return if they can't match an offer sheet.  Again, doubtful, but just spitballing.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

As I pointed out in the thread in the News forum, if you go back and look at how Wade has filled (i.e. guys he didn't inherit) out the ILB's in his defenses from his time as Chargers DC under Schottenheimer forward... it's almost entirely 4th rounders or later and the few 1st and 2nd rounders are either guys he inherited or guys who were on their 3rd or 4th contracts in the league.

For those who were wanting to toss out Cushing or Posluszny as FA pickups, assuming they're willing to come on reasonable contracts, they're much more in-play now.  Depending on what the Bears do in the draft, I can see Trevathan being a post-June-1st cut casualty.  Not likely, but possible, depending on if Fangio decides to move Floyd around.  Corey Nelson is also someone who could be worth a look as much as Todd Davis if we're talking former Broncos.  In Houston, Wade inherited Cushing and DeMeco Ryans and immediately had them go out and sign Tim Dobbins because of his experience in the scheme.  But seriously, go look at the names of the ILB's who played for Wade in defenses that were consistently Top 5 in the league, the biggest names were Brian Cushing (who finished more years on IR than he didn't) and Danny Trevathan.  That scheme pretty much gave Brandon Marshall his name in the league.  You get a couple guys who have good instincts and at least one of which does really well shedding/knifing through blocks and you're solid.

One other random thought I had about us acquiring all this Day 3 picks... we might actually take a shot at an RFA or two.  The Broncos aren't exactly in a favorable cap position and if they make a run at Cousins, we could make a run at Shaq Barrett.  They're "expected" to put a 2nd round RFA tender on him, as they've done with each of their main LB's in years past, but that's at a $2.9m cost which they might be hard-pressed to afford - but he was a UDFA so they can't put the original round tender on him and expect anything in return if they can't match an offer sheet.  Again, doubtful, but just spitballing.

I agree. Wade Phillips scheme favors the secondary more than the linebackers hence the no fly zone in Denver where they had Talib, Harris, Ward, Roby. The emphasis was never really on the linebackers but more on the secondary. 

Archived