Damarious Randall traded to the Browns for DeShone Kizer

marky mark

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's probably the wiser attitude to have, but I just don't get this move. Obviously I don't have all the information, but this just strikes me as illogical.

Minimally I think he should have been given a year under Pettine to check the attitude in a new scheme. 

No doubt. I was on Randall's side when 95% of fans wanted him cut after his walk off. Now all of the sudden he's Deion Sanders

We can go nuts, or realize bridges were most likely burned and Randall's only chance is with another organization. Most likely a new DC wasn't going to be enough. Randall himself was probably already out the door in his mind as well. Unfortunate cost of doing business. 

Hard to get a read on Kizer from last years play--talent around him was pretty poor and super young as well. He flat out shouldn't have been on the field last year. 21 year old kid that probably should've still been playing in college and not on one of the worst teams in NFL history. 

I'm having a hard time with what most of the others are. Why not go for Njoku or Colman or something we actually need. Did we really need another back up QB? I dont think so. I'm fine with getting rid of Randall, but lets get something we can actually use this year. 

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Rumor has it the Eagles are willing to trade Darby.  If we do this, if we trade for ANY promising or even okay corner still on their rookie contract, I'm fine with the Randall trade.  My issue with the Randall trade is his cap space compared to his talent at our weakest or second weakest position.  We have to trade for somebody or sign somebody to match Randall's play at the same price.  Otherwise... Bad trade, bad move. 

Do you have any specific height and weight restrictions? Shoe size? :)

Just now, tredpack said:

Hard to get a read on Kizer from last years play--talent around him was pretty poor and super young as well. He flat out shouldn't have been on the field last year. 21 year old kid that probably should've still been playing in college and not on one of the worst teams in NFL history. 

I'm having a hard time with what most of the others are. Why not go for Njoku or Colman or something we actually need. Did we really need another back up QB? I dont think so. I'm fine with getting rid of Randall, but lets get something we can actually use this year. 

I'll disagree. Backup QB was a need. Just a less discussed one IMO. Not a "one for one" match position-wise? Okay, that makes sense - but we filled a need - got rid of a problem child - snagged some CAP cash and moved up in two draft rounds. Would you like CLE to serve you dinner as well? LOL

12 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Lolololololololololol

Ted Thompson haters complaining about this place being unbearable.  Name one single trade Thompson made that was this bad.  One.  One.  One.  We had to hear for ten years about Harrell and Hawk and Thornton, a third round pick, and now it's unbearable for you to hear criticism of Gute? 

I can't because Ted hardly ever made a trade!   xD  I'm not going to roast Gute over his first deal.  I remember folks howling when Ted made his first move as GM.

46 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A one year rental at CB still probably gets you a 5th round comp pick. 

Additionally a one year rental at CB is really freaking important when you don't have 3 of the 4 pieces you need at CB right now.

The issue is two fold:

The decision to remove Randall when you need help at that position badly. I can understand this one if somebody tells me that Randall was leading a mutiny of younger players agaisnt the coaching staff. 

The return value got from trading Randall. I don't understand this one. Could have at least taken a 4th rounder from the Browns rather than screwing around with it. 

I don't know that he was "leading a mutiny" per se, but the committee of veteran players recommended he be released. 

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'll disagree. Backup QB was a need. Just a less discussed one IMO. Not a "one for one" match position-wise? Okay, that makes sense - but we filled a need - got rid of a problem child - snagged some CAP cash and moved up in two draft rounds. Would you like CLE to serve you dinner as well? LOL

The upgrade from Kizer to Hundley in 2018 is pretty minimal. If Rodgers goes down this season--we're screwed with Hundley and we're screwed with Kizer. Give a tool Rodgers can actually use this year. 

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

How high of a need to you have backup QB for the 2018 season?

EDGE

CB

TE

WR

OL

DL

S

ILB

QB

For me it was pretty low on the list given the resources GB has to use in cap space and draft picks.

6 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Rumor has it the Eagles are willing to trade Darby.  If we do this, if we trade for ANY promising or even okay corner still on their rookie contract, I'm fine with the Randall trade.  My issue with the Randall trade is his cap space compared to his talent at our weakest or second weakest position.  We have to trade for somebody or sign somebody to match Randall's play at the same price.  Otherwise... Bad trade, bad move. 

A year after the Bills traded him. Either he's a locker room cancer or he simply sucks. xD

I liked Darby a few years ago during the draft process. Really liked his quick twitch and athleticism. He might make a decent slot guy if we choose to trade for him.

The Eagles gave up Matthews and a 3rd round pick for him. They will be lucky to get a 4th round pick for him this time round.. We have three 5th rounders and could trade one of the lower 5th rounder for him and see if they will bite. He's only 24 and has plenty of NFL experience.

27 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Trade solved our backup QB problem.  Won't deny that.  Unfortunately, the backup QB position doesn't matter worth a quarter of a damn to a team as devoid of talent as this one. 

Very much this. Yet some fans think having Kizer as the backup will make a difference. Even Nick Foles would have a hard time being the backup on this team. 

1 minute ago, Chili said:

A year after the Bills traded him. Either he's a locker room cancer or he simply sucks. xD

I liked Darby a few years ago during the draft process. Really liked his quick twitch and athleticism. He might make a decent slot guy if we choose to trade for him.

The Eagles gave up Matthews and a 3rd round pick for him. They will be lucky to get a 4th round pick for him this time round.. We have three 5th rounders and could trade one of the lower 5th rounder for him and see if they will bite. He's only 24 and has plenty of NFL experience.

Honestly dont know much about Darby - but what little I picked up watching some of the Eagle games was the commentary - heard multiple times - that was backed up by his play on the field - that he was a sucker for double moves - and sure enough, he got played a couple times just that way. Now - how he was in other areas of his game? Cant say. Can that double move problem be coached out of him? You'd think so right? I leave such considerations up to the coaches.

11 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

whats the next domino to fall? They HAVE to do something about their WR situation soon, right?

Not really, unless you are talking about salaries = restructuring.   We'll probably draft one next month.

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

Dinner from an NFL organization? Fo sho!

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

How high of a need to you have backup QB for the 2018 season?

EDGE

CB

TE

WR

OL

DL

S

ILB

QB

For me it was pretty low on the list given the resources GB has to use in cap space and draft picks.

Geeeezzzzz Squire. That was more work than necessary. I dont care how the needs are ranked or how they're resolved. Its the latter that counts and far as I'm concerned - I think we just got a new backup QB - which is fine with me. I wanted no part of Hundley The Sequel and while I dont go overboard ragging on NFL players - I think DRs talent level can be replaced. He wasnt the hot stuff some folks are suddenly pining over.

Archived