Packers releasing WR Jordy Nelson

deltarich87

Just now, skibrett15 said:

Packers have been nothing but classy to Jordy.  We owe him nothing more than our honest offer for his future services and a genuine thanks for his former services.  If he wants to take that as a chip, go ahead.  Doubt he'll prove anyone wrong.

People are really overreacting to some off-the-wall tweet I think. Jordy is intelligent and there's no evidence he feels slighted by the team whatsoever.

1 minute ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I'd be interested to see how much Jordy would have taken to stay. Say it was a minimum of something like 5 mil, there really is no point in releasing him. Wasn't the point of releasing him to gain cap space? 

Bingo, he's got what 2.5m in dead cap? To sign him to vet min would be a 3.5m dollar deal actually.

When the Packers decided to move on from Woodson and from Peppers - they made no offer at all. They didn't want to insult them. And the Packers were roundly criticized by fans for treating those legendary players so poorly

When the Packers decided to move on from Jordy, they made a weak offer and were roundly criticized for treating a legend so poorly

There's just no easy way to do it and there's no way to please everybody.

Jordy understands the business of football and he accepted those sometimes harsh realities from the moment he entered the league

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Who is your source that they offered him peanuts? Not the place that printed it, an actual source?

It was reported by multiple beat guys. Don’t be thick. I really don’t care what the context of how they asked him to play for the vet minimum, they could have said it in the nicest possible way, it’s still insulting. You don’t think so? Cool. It’s called a damn opinion. 

Man this forum can be insufferable sometimes if you even come close to questioning a decision made by the team. 

4 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

It was reported by multiple beat guys. Don’t be thick. I really don’t care what the context of how they asked him to play for the vet minimum, they could have said it in the nicest possible way, it’s still insulting. You don’t think so? Cool. It’s called a damn opinion. 

Man this forum can be insufferable sometimes if you even come close to questioning a decision made by the team. 

So don't feel bad when a crap opinion gets called out, I guess.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Bingo, he's got what 2.5m in dead cap? To sign him to vet min would be a 3.5m dollar deal actually.

No it wouldn’t. It would mean Jordy accounted for 3.5 million against the cap, doesn’t change the money he would get from a vet minimum deal. 

4 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Who cares if you think it was insulting. Its business. 

I don't care if it was $2.00 per hour decrease in pay or 5 million - it isn't fun to be on the receiving end of the conversation. Best way to go about it - rip the band aid off, and quick. Get straight to the point and don't sugarcoat it.

Just now, incognito_man said:

So don't feel bad when a crap opinion gets called out, I guess.

So because an opinion isn’t the same as yours, it’s crap. That’s about as high horse as it gets, not surprising coming from you though. 

1 minute ago, Zing said:

Who cares if you think it was insulting. Its business. 

I don't care if it was $2.00 per hour decrease in pay or 5 million - it isn't fun to be on the receiving end of the conversation. Best way to go about it - rip the band aid off, and quick. Get straight to the point and don't sugarcoat it.

Um that’s the point. Rip the band aid off. Gute isn’t a moron and knew Nelson wasn’t playing for vet minimum so why even make the offer. Just cut ties and be done. 

3 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

No it wouldn’t. It would mean Jordy accounted for 3.5 million against the cap, doesn’t change the money he would get from a vet minimum deal. 

I'm talking about on our cap. You think he's worth what 5m? Well then we save what 2m from cutting him?

The move was to free cap space, that was the most they wanted him to count.

Just now, Ketchup said:

So because an opinion isn’t the same as yours, it’s crap. That’s about as high horse as it gets, not surprising coming from you though. 

Some opinions are worse than others, absolutely. Such as those which take very little reality and even the coarsest levels of nuance into consideration.

This is a front office that is on record as saying (and doing) that releasing players (even TC players) is very emotional and the hardest part of the job. 

It's just so lolworthy to think the front office somehow 'did him dirty'. There really just is nothing to support such a frivolous opinion.

2 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Um that’s the point. Rip the band aid off. Gute isn’t a moron and knew Nelson wasn’t playing for vet minimum so why even make the offer. Just cut ties and be done. 

So if he said yes, you'd be insulted that he's playing with us for that amount right?

It's a ridiculous argument. They obviously think he has something left, so they asked if he'd play for somewhere around 2m. He said no and they agreed to move on.

Archived