Green Bay signs Fuller to offer sheet; Bears match

AZBearsFan

I don’t even think the issue with the Bears drafting woes has so much been with their first rounders. While drafting superstars and hitting on high picks should always be the goal, I think it’s way easier to sustain success when a draft provides, at the worst, at least three serviceable players.

Take, for example, 2008: Williams, Forte, Bennett. 2009: Knox, Moore, Melton. There are some big disappointments there, no question, but all of those guys were starters who had defined roles and made solid contributions, and in 2010, the Bears made the NFCCG.

Now, consider...

2012: Jeffery. 2013: Long. 2014: Fuller (very late bloomer), Leno. 2015: Goldman, Amos.

That’s not enough. Coming out of a draft with Alshon Jeffery or Kyle Long is great, but who else in their draft classes made meaningful contributions? Jordan Mills? Shea?

There’s still hope for the 2016 and 2017 draft classes, but as it stands, those dismal 2010 through 2015 classes are largely responsible for the Bears drafting high over the past three years.

12 hours ago, G08 said:

This is why Emery fell on his face (window slammed shut) and why it has taken Pace longer to re-build our franchise (old, decaying talent trying to be off-set by money-hungry ******* divas).

While I agree that Emery didn't do a great job at drafting, the stat that you replied to is for 1st round picks being resigned, and half of them (Long/Fuller) represent 2/3 of Emery's 1st round picks, so missing on 1st round picks isn't why he fell on his face, although picking Shea over Jones and Mercilus was idiotic and we all knew it at the time. 

31 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

While I agree that Emery didn't do a great job at drafting, the stat that you replied to is for 1st round picks being resigned, and half of them (Long/Fuller) represent 2/3 of Emery's 1st round picks, so missing on 1st round picks isn't why he fell on his face, although picking Shea over Jones and Mercilus was idiotic and we all knew it at the time. 

I can clarify: Emery came in to a team that had failed horribly in the draft, and he thought he could rectify that by trading for and signing the Brandon Marshalls, Martellus Bennetts, and over-the-hill Jared Allens of the world.

Meaning: he tried a quick-fix with questionable players (character, age) and only added to the problems that Pace needed to address.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I can clarify: Emery came in to a team that had failed horribly in the draft, and he thought he could rectify that by trading for and signing the Brandon Marshalls, Martellus Bennetts, and over-the-hill Jared Allens of the world.

Meaning: he tried a quick-fix with questionable players (character, age) and only added to the problems that Pace needed to address.

Emery played free agency like a fan, which was just going whale hunting.

He played free agency like a scout, which was overvaluing upside.

Archived