Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

from espn.

With Marino still on the board, the Jets chose the relatively unknown Ken O'Brien from UC Davis with the 24th pick in the 1983 draft. Jets Nation was shocked -- a feeling that would become all too familiar in the 1980s and 1990s. Then-commissioner Pete Rozelle paused after starting the announcement with "quarterback" for dramatic effect, teasing fans who wanted the popular Marino. O'Brien went on to a solid career, but he was no Marino, who broke many passing records and went to the Hall of Fame. -- Rich Cimini

Did he actually do that way?  What an *******!

Really nice podcast episode on Baker Mayfield on Move The Sticks. They had a similar one of Josh Allen that was really good as well.

Thry interviewed his HS coach and he brought up the whole recruiting thing. He paints a different story than I expected. Part of the issue Baker had was that college coaches realized he was a really good player too late. Most D1 programs had already committed to other players. We often are told that coaches didn't think Baker would be good in college. But that is not what his HS coach said. He also said that Baker did want to go Washington State. But it didn't work out because another kid accepted the offer before him. 

32 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Really nice podcast episode on Baker Mayfield on Move The Sticks. They had a similar one of Josh Allen that was really good as well.

Thry interviewed his HS coach and he brought up the whole recruiting thing. He paints a different story than I expected. Part of the issue Baker had was that college coaches realized he was a really good player too late. Most D1 programs had already committed to other players. We often are told that coaches didn't think Baker would be good in college. But that is not what his HS coach said. He also said that Baker did want to go Washington State. But it didn't work out because another kid accepted the offer before him. 

So Baker was late...nope can't have that on this team. Tardiness is not acceptable from your QB.

4 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

FWIW my cousin told me the Jets are going to take Mayfield today. She's the person who tipped me on the Jets taking Hackenberg a few years ago. I'm hoping she's wrong. 

Might as well try and find a way to start liking this guy then somehow. Not going to be easy

12 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

So Baker was late...nope can't have that on this team. Tardiness is not acceptable from your QB.

No he didn't get a chance to visit the campus which was important to him. He didn't get a chance to visit the campus because his baseball team made it deep into the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Watch tape and forget about the non-football related things.  You'll like what you see.

I’ve wayched him hundreds of times. I try and like him. But you can’t eliminate his antics and all from him. It’s part of what we would be drafting. If it was just skill Kaep would be in the NFL. You can’t just push ego, antics, etc to the side. So I will always remember him as that guy. Only thing that will change that will be 2 years of no issues. And he’s only going on 5 months now.

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’ve wayched him hundreds of times. I try and like him. But you can’t eliminate his antics and all from him. It’s part of what we would be drafting. If it was just skill Kaep would be in the NFL. You can’t just push ego, antics, etc to the side. So I will always remember him as that guy. Only thing that will change that will be 2 years of no issues. And he’s only going on 5 months now.

Kaep's a sensitive situation.  

36 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Based on your post, I don't think you'll ever get passed the antics unless he starts taking the Jets to the playoffs. However, if the Jets do draft Baker, I would suggest listening to the Baker 360 Move The Sticks podcast. And Mark Schofield does a lot of good work breaking down film. Also Play Like a Jet is running a series on each one of these QBs and bringing scouts and analyst. They've had one on Allen, Rosen, and Mayfield. 

The Rosen 360 podcast is coming up. Can't wait to hear that one. They likely will have his HS coach on. The Josh Allen one was really good as well and I mean good in the sense that it helps see what makes these guys tick and how these guys were before they made national headlines. 

Archived