Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

50 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think a schools history is QBs means pretty much nothing. I mean let’s look at OU who have they produced at QB? Bradford? Aikman played at both OU and UCLA. Let’s also look at UCLAs QBs... Brett Hundley?

My point being a schools history at QB means nothing. To say we should be weary of Darnold bc of USCs QBs history is lazy. Same as it would be to say it for Mayfield and OU and Rosen and UCLA.

I love the history you give @doumeyer but comparing anything football related outside the last 10 years or so to the modern day NFL is like comparing apples to oranges.

You don't think that is strange that So Cal has had only one QB be a star player in the NFL in fifty years ?????  With all the five star QB recruits they had at So Cal. the past fifty years.

5 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

You don't think that is strange that So Cal has had only one QB be a star player in the NFL in fifty years ?????  With all the five star QB recruits they had at So Cal. the past fifty years.

FSU and Stanford have had nearly as many over the years.  Jameis is likely the only non-FSU bust.  Stanford's had a lot, hit on 3.  It's all a crapshoot.  

The top 3 of this draft is nearly impossible to peg. As said before, the GM's for the 3 top teams are notoriously tight lipped. I think on one hand all the baker stuff is a giant smoke screen and we really want Rosen or Darnold (if he falls to us) but on the other hand maybe it's a different kind of mind game Macc is playing, and he's just tipping his hand because it's so unlike him, people will think it's a smoke screen but it's really not. Like I said, it's nearly impossible to peg where the top 3 teams are gonna go. 

33 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

No I think it means nothing. Franchise QBs come from all different schools, schemes, coaching, etc. I’m looking at the players talent, not where they went to school. Yes you have to be weary of guys. Wentz was a risk bc of the talent he played against (a lot like Allen this year). But you have to look at the skill set deeper. No QB in any class is flawless.

Truly what I hope with this us liking Baker stuff is that it’s just to try and keep teams from trading up to 2. A smoke screen. If we’re heavily linked to him teams like Buffalo, Denver or Miami who want Rosen or Darnold perhaps won’t feel the need to be as aggressive to trade up ahead of us if they think we want Mayfield bad. We will see.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

No I think it means nothing. Franchise QBs come from all different schools, schemes, coaching, etc. I’m looking at the players talent, not where they went to school. Yes you have to be weary of guys. Wentz was a risk bc of the talent he played against (a lot like Allen this year). But you have to look at the skill set deeper. No QB in any class is flawless.

Agree. You can't hold a player's school against them. Somewhat different, but a lot of people made that mistake with Derek Carr. They held his brother's situation against him. You have to look at each individual player on their own merit. 

28 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

This means nothing but

Mayfield hasn't liked any Tweets regarding ANY teams this entire process

But he liked one linking him to the Jets in the last two days

Meaning nothing but good to share

Sounds like a lot of the leaks are actually coming from the Baker camp. Looks like he really wants to come to the Jets. Probably hit it off with Bates. 

Typically when you go to a job interview and you nail it, you know you are going to get an offer. He probably came out of that meeting feeling that way. 

11 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Agree. You can't hold a player's school against them. Somewhat different, but a lot of people made that mistake with Derek Carr. They held his brother's situation against him. You have to look at each individual player on their own merit. 

Is Derek Carr actually good though?  Is he a franchise QB?  Serious question because I just can't get on board yet.  He's in his prime now coming off a subpar season.  We saw him break out a few years back and looked like he was ready to be the man but regressed last year.  This season will be big for him regarding if he's going to be a mediocre QB like Alex Smith and Joe Flacco or if he's going to be a true franchise QB.

17 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Is Derek Carr actually good though?  Is he a franchise QB?  Serious question because I just can't get on board yet.  He's in his prime now coming off a subpar season.  We saw him break out a few years back and looked like he was ready to be the man but regressed last year.  This season will be big for him regarding if he's going to be a mediocre QB like Alex Smith and Joe Flacco or if he's going to be a true franchise QB.

He did have a down year and what type of QB he is debatable. But he was 4th QB selected in that draft behind Bortles, Manziel, and Teddy. You re-draft that class and he goes before all those guys likely in the top 10. 

34 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

He did have a down year and what type of QB he is debatable. But he was 4th QB selected in that draft behind Bortles, Manziel, and Teddy. You re-draft that class and he goes before all those guys likely in the top 10. 

Certainly the best of the bunch but still not a franchise QB yet IMO.  Franchise QB meaning can carry a team.  He's certainly good enough to win a Superbowl with though but when you say franchise guy I hold that in higher regard.  I guess the reason he went 4th was probably because of his brother's failures getting back on topic.  I get the hesitation for USC QB's but Carson Palmer was a really good QB in his prime just had injuries derail it.  I think Darnold will be really good but I just think Mayfield is going to be the best of the bunch.  I just think he has the total package you want in a franchise QB minus a few inches and a tell it like it is personality.

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Certainly the best of the bunch but still not a franchise QB yet IMO.  Franchise QB meaning can carry a team.  He's certainly good enough to win a Superbowl with though but when you say franchise guy I hold that in higher regard.  I guess the reason he went 4th was probably because of his brother's failures getting back on topic.  I get the hesitation for USC QB's but Carson Palmer was a really good QB in his prime just had injuries derail it.  I think Darnold will be really good but I just think Mayfield is going to be the best of the bunch.  I just think he has the total package you want in a franchise QB minus a few inches and a tell it like it is personality.

I never understood the Carson Palmer love

He wasn't that good...

6 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

To add onto this... the only other USC QBs that really stood a chance to becoming franchise guys were Leinart and Sanchez. Leinart had several question marks about his arm entering the league. Much like Pennington. He couldn’t seem to overcome the lack of arm strength throughout his career. And as we should all know more so than any other franchise about Sanchez is that we ruined his chances of becoming a franchise QB. He went to back to back AFCCGs right away and then we let all of his good weapons and assets leave on offense. That’s our fault not USCs.

Archived