Around the NFL 2017

WizardHawk

Dallas was one of 7 teams to put in a claim for Kony Ealy (Jets picked him up). As others are mentioning on Twitter, seems a little silly to put in a claim, but not offer a late rd. pick if they really wanted him. Seems like decent fit for DE rotation. 

11 minutes ago, romo2bryant said:

Let's say Aaron Donald was available what would you offer from a dallas POV?

Would be tempting for sure, but is it feasible to pay both he and Martin? I'd offer and a 1st and 3rd, then see how hard LAR laughs me out of the room. Honestly though as intriguing as it is, I'm pretty happy keeping the picks and continuing to build thru the draft. 

2 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Would be tempting for sure, but is it feasible to pay both he and Martin? I'd offer and a 1st and 3rd, then see how hard LAR laughs me out of the room. Honestly though as intriguing as it is, I'm pretty happy keeping the picks and continuing to build thru the draft. 

We'd probably have to get rid of Tyrone Crawford to have both. Would get real tricky when we have to give Dak an extension.

Just now, romo2bryant said:

but think about Collins-Donald together!!!!!!

I don't know if having the two would really benefit us much considering they'd likely play the same role on D. Think keeping the picks, even in a hypothetical, would be the better bet.

3 minutes ago, romo2bryant said:

We'd probably have to get rid of Tyrone Crawford to have both. Would get real tricky when we have to give Dak an extension.

Even then, it's probably a big stretch. Donald is going to get $18-20m/yr and Martin is probably looking at $12-13m/yr. Don't think you can make those numbers work and maintain a good depth chart, which Dallas has now.

23 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Two first & Crawford.

Two firsts and crawford is a bit much. Id start by offering a first and Lawrence (last yr of contract also) and see where it goes. Crawford has a decent contract, years remaining, and has been more consistent than Lawrence. I want Donald, but not at the expense of one of my toP DLs who are on a well budgeted contract. Lawrence could have 5 sacks this yr and still seek 80million in a contract. Id happily trade him right now for something a bit more worth that price tag.

Think DLaw is likely done here unless he wants to stay (i.e. team-friendly). I almost guarantee he's going to get more money than he has shown to be worth. Not unlike Claiborne, he's shown flashes of terrific play, has lacked availability, and someone will pay him more than he's worth.

I say that really liking the player, btw. But decent DEs are hard to come by and they are worth a lot. I think you'll see this team work on developing some of their young talent. Which, BTW, seems to include finally keeping Crawford in one spot. For perhaps the first time since his rookie year, he will play the position he prepared for in the off season.

Archived