• Arden Key
    • Mason Rudolph
    • Dallas Goedert
    • Derrius Guice
    • Best Available Corner
    • Jessie Bates
    • None of the above
    • Best WR Available

I chose Harold Landry. Lesson learned years ago with Von Miller. If a player has an exceptional burst off the edge, to go along with exceptional timing of the snap and ability to bend to the qb that is a talent that is so rare that you have to give that player an increased grade rating.. I haven't quite figured out exceptional ability grading scale but it does and should exist when it comes to scaling the draft. 

Exceptional in this area has only been exhibited by two players including and since Miller IMO. That being Miller and Vic Beasley.  Landry was exhibiting those abilities last year and I figured it would escalate this year. So gotta be somewhere between that exceptional and pretty good this year. This is not Jarvis Jones. Jones had no exceptional ability. Its not Bud Dupree who is an exceptional athlete but wasn't and isn't a great pass rusher and also exhibited very inconsistent abilities in regards to it.  

Not saying to fall in love with him, but his abilities and their value should not be disregarded. 

5 hours ago, JPeezy55 said:

I'm still waiting to find something that really makes me like Bates and think he's worth the pick at 28.

I understand the CF and playmaking value he brings, but I haven't seen film from him that makes me go wow.

Bates is a 3rd round prediction so why would they even think about taking him in the 1st...

15 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I chose Harold Landry. Lesson learned years ago with Von Miller. If a player has an exceptional burst off the edge, to go along with exceptional timing of the snap and ability to bend to the qb that is a talent that is so rare that you have to give that player an increased grade rating.. I haven't quite figured out exceptional ability grading scale but it does and should exist when it comes to scaling the draft. 

Exceptional in this area has only been exhibited by two players including and since Miller IMO. That being Miller and Vic Beasley.  Landry was exhibiting those abilities last year and I figured it would escalate this year. So gotta be somewhere between that exceptional and pretty good this year. This is not Jarvis Jones. Jones had no exceptional ability. Its not Bud Dupree who is an exceptional athlete but wasn't and isn't a great pass rusher and also exhibited very inconsistent abilities in regards to it.  

Not saying to fall in love with him, but his abilities and their value should not be disregarded. 

You make strong points. I have concerns about his height/size in the 3-4. I'd prefer a little more length. I have to keep reminding myself that players like Elvis Dumervil exist and that whole size thing sometimes becomes irrelevant. Given the scenario in the OP, I wouldn't be upset with Landry but I would be a little nervous. 

15 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

You make strong points. I have concerns about his height/size in the 3-4. I'd prefer a little more length. I have to keep reminding myself that players like Elvis Dumervil exist and that whole size thing sometimes becomes irrelevant. Given the scenario in the OP, I wouldn't be upset with Landry but I would be a little nervous. 

I do agree and have him tabbed as a 4-3 end, but his combine was better than expected. I didnt study his drills from the combine or pro day today , they should shine some light on things. Im not saying hes a slam dunk for our scheme but he does have some rare ability, that is especially hard for the Steelers to get there hands on where they typically pick in the draft.

NFL.com, DraftWire, Walter etc etc... He was 5th round prospect until the combine and now is a day 2 late 2nd-3rd round grade. Just because we talked to him doesn't make him a 1st rounder...

NFL.com :

Analysis

Strengths

Impressive fluidity for a safety with smooth hips and sudden feet. Quick in coverage transitions. Can line up over top of slots. Has pattern recognition to shade the breaks. Instinctive. Processes quarterback at same speed quarterback is processing field. Instant trigger to the throw. No stall at the top on his plant-and-drive. Sprints to potential pass target after recognizing play-action. Excellent route balance from zone. High school outfielder and hooper with plus ball tracking and ball skills. Can take it away and take it to the house. Volume tackler who is drawn to the football. Runs the alley and finishes with force. Has versatility to be utilized in a variety of coverages and alignments.

Weaknesses

Has just two years of game experience. Needs more meat on his bones. Plays bigger than his frame raising durability concerns. Needs to play with better discipline in deep coverage responsibilities. Sniffs around on misdirection and will allow routes to get beyond him. Doesn't have a big second gear in his closing burst. Angles to the ball in coverage and as a tackler need work. Inconsistent tackler due to leverage issues. Overpursues and allows runners to cut back across his face.

Draft Projection

Rounds 2-3

NFL Comparison

Justin Evans

Bottom Line

Versatile safety option with the athletic ability to handle man coverage responsibilities in space and the instincts and ball skills to post ball production in zone coverage. Bates is more than willing as a hitter, but can get himself in trouble as an open-field tackler due to inconsistent pursuit angles and technique. Bates plays with energy and aggressiveness and is likely to fill a stat sheet with production thanks to his versatility and play traits. He should contribute early on defense and special teams and has a chance to become a good NFL starter.

21 minutes ago, MDSteeler1971 said:

NFL.com, DraftWire, Walter etc etc... He was 5th round prospect until the combine and now is a day 2 late 2nd-3rd round grade. Just because we talked to him doesn't make him a 1st rounder...

NFL.com :

Analysis

Strengths

Impressive fluidity for a safety with smooth hips and sudden feet. Quick in coverage transitions. Can line up over top of slots. Has pattern recognition to shade the breaks. Instinctive. Processes quarterback at same speed quarterback is processing field. Instant trigger to the throw. No stall at the top on his plant-and-drive. Sprints to potential pass target after recognizing play-action. Excellent route balance from zone. High school outfielder and hooper with plus ball tracking and ball skills. Can take it away and take it to the house. Volume tackler who is drawn to the football. Runs the alley and finishes with force. Has versatility to be utilized in a variety of coverages and alignments.

Weaknesses

Has just two years of game experience. Needs more meat on his bones. Plays bigger than his frame raising durability concerns. Needs to play with better discipline in deep coverage responsibilities. Sniffs around on misdirection and will allow routes to get beyond him. Doesn't have a big second gear in his closing burst. Angles to the ball in coverage and as a tackler need work. Inconsistent tackler due to leverage issues. Overpursues and allows runners to cut back across his face.

Draft Projection

Rounds 2-3

NFL Comparison

Justin Evans

Bottom Line

Versatile safety option with the athletic ability to handle man coverage responsibilities in space and the instincts and ball skills to post ball production in zone coverage. Bates is more than willing as a hitter, but can get himself in trouble as an open-field tackler due to inconsistent pursuit angles and technique. Bates plays with energy and aggressiveness and is likely to fill a stat sheet with production thanks to his versatility and play traits. He should contribute early on defense and special teams and has a chance to become a good NFL starter.

Not to speak for @JustPlainNastybut perhaps what he is suggesting is that it only takes 1 team to make him a 1st Rdr. While I agree with your/their ranking, "Experts" may have him tabbed as a 2nd Rdr but some team may like him enough to nab him in the 1st. Especially if they don't have a 2nd Rdr. He reminds me of Denver's Simmons when he was coming out. I think Simmons look even better then Bates at the Combine but he was slotted as a 5th Rdr prior to. Then after a very good Combine he was taken by the Broncos in the 3rd. That analysis of Bates you posted reads like a pretty darn good Safety imo. 1st Rd good? Only time will tell. 

3 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Not to speak for @JustPlainNastybut perhaps what he is suggesting is that it only takes 1 team to make him a 1st Rdr. While I agree with your/their ranking, "Experts" may have him tabbed as a 2nd Rdr but some team may like him enough to nab him in the 1st. Especially if they don't have a 2nd Rdr. He reminds me of Denver's Simmons when he was coming out. I think Simmons look even better then Bates at the Combine but he was slotted as a 5th Rdr prior to. Then after a very good Combine he was taken by the Broncos in the 3rd. That analysis of Bates you posted reads like a pretty darn good Safety imo. 1st Rd good? Only time will tell. 

Well let's hope that isn't us and we end up reaching!

11 minutes ago, MDSteeler1971 said:

Well let's hope that isn't us and we end up reaching!

I think Burnett has pretty much eliminated that possibility (if it was one to begin with). Let's not forget that Davis is prolly gotta get his shot at FS so I wouldn't think they'd take a Safety in the 1st or even the 2nd w/o knowing what they already have. I'd wait until at least the 3rd Rd to pick a Safety (then I'd take Gaulden :ph34r:).

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

I think Burnett has pretty much eliminated that possibility (if it was one to begin with). Let's not forget that Davis is prolly gotta get his shot at FS so I wouldn't think they'd take a Safety in the 1st or even the 2nd w/o knowing what they already have. I'd wait until at least the 3rd Rd to pick a Safety (then I'd take Gaulden :ph34r:).

If the rumors turn out to be true you may have the season start with Burrnett and Sutton as safeties and Davis as backup.

6 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I do agree and have him tabbed as a 4-3 end, but his combine was better than expected. I didnt study his drills from the combine or pro day today , they should shine some light on things. Im not saying hes a slam dunk for our scheme but he does have some rare ability, that is especially hard for the Steelers to get there hands on where they typically pick in the draft.

I compare Landry with Worilds.  I think they will be very similar if the Steelers drafted him.

Archived