All in Mock

Millenhater

Thought I'd do a quick mock draft that's a bit different. Like most mocks it's hopeful that certain players fall that I'm not sure will be there.  This mock is about getting players that can contribute and be impact players right now and making sure Matty P's experiences some success year one. 

1(20): Harold Landry DE/LB Boston College

I have a feeling will go much higher in real life than what people are expecting but in this case he falls to the Lions and they sprint to the podium. Landry gives us a legit edge rusher who has the versatility to play in a 3 or 4 man front that Patricia loves. 

-TRADE-

The Lions trade their 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 2019 3rd and Ameer Abdullah to New England for their 1st (23) and 7th (219)

1(23): Derrius Guice RB LSU

The Lions have 7 RBs that they are targeting. The front office fears that most will be gone buy the time they pick in the 2nd and will have to reach reach for one since they fear one won't be there in the 3rd instead they trade up an take one of the top players on their board.  Guice would be the piece this offense has been missing for years to make it a top 5 offense.  He can also grind out the yards and clock to help seal games.  This pick helps both offense and defensive sides of the ball for the Lions  

4(117): Kendrick Norton DT Miami 

Norton is severely underrated and the depth at DT helps him side to us.  Year one he will rotate in and contribute as a run stuffer with a little bit of pass rush.  Should end up replacing Williams as the starter next year  

7(219): Antonio Callaway WR Miami 

Callaway is a garbage human being but he's a pretty good football player.  As a 7th rounder the Lions roll the dice and pick up a WR that can contribute day one as their starting KR.  He will also be rotated in a few snaps a game on offense but the main reason this pick is made is because they get an immediate starter on special teams  

7(237): Chris Covington LB Indiana 

Covington is a player that should be able to play special teams right away and has a chance to develop into a good depth player.

What do you think?  Would you throw your remote at the tv if it went down like this or start planning your super bowl party?  Let me know what you think. 

8 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I'd prefer more picks. Not less.

I would normally agree but it depends on who you end up getting. Who are you hoping to get out of the draft?  I thought I would try something a little different with this one. Mostly because I wanted to draft all first year starters/contributors (should have put a FB with the last pick) but also because I think it's a realistic possibility that the RBs that we like could get snatched up before we pick in the second and third and I will pissed if we don't come away from the draft with one of the top backs. 

As soon as we basically traded away the bulk of our draft, the draft is a fail for me. I like both players that you picked up but don't think that we need to make that trade. It's a deep RB class and we are likely to follow the Patriots model of not having a true feature back. It doesn't mean that we aren't going to have talented players but we don't need a Le'Veon Bell/Todd Gurley bellcow. If we can find a guy like that in the 3rd or 4th round, awesome... we just aren't going to pay a king's ransom to get such a player.

Landry could definitely be there if there's a run on QB's at the top of the draft. There also always tends to be some player that gets bumped up from out of nowhere.

I have to agree with DHLF. This seems to be a deep draft. If the price is right I would rather trade down. There is only maybe 2 prospects I would conside trading up for. That would be Barkley and Chubb. Though I wont lie I really do like Guice. I think he's gonna be a stud.  

Like Landry in the 1st.  I wouldn't trade 4 picks and Abdullah to get another 1st rounder and a 7th just to get a RB.  Though Guice is a good player, I believe all the RBs except Barkley have similar skills.  Should be able to pick up a RB in the 2nd or 3rd, maybe 4th.  The key to the running game will be Oline blocking and redesigning the scheme.  Not sure I trust Dahl or Wiggins to shore up the LG sufficiently to build a decent running game.

Archived