Just Thinking About the Browns

Money

11 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

I'm not mad at you, I'm just a little disappointed. Pick a QB at #1 and either Chubb or Barkley at #4. Use our 3 2nds for BPA in the area of CB, WR, OT, RB, BPA, trade ups, etc. Stick to the script. Also if we trade with the Bills, take them for everything they are worth. Not a conditional 1st next year. I want their draft in 2018 and 2019. If not, who cares. I really do not want to trade with them and their cursed #22 pick anyways. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

My thinking is the Browns and Jets are the only teams taking QB in the top four picks. I don't know who the Browns top QB is and if it's Allen you can still get him at #4. If I want to guarantee RB and QB, I have to take Barkley first.

Since I got the 1st and 4th picks, I can control who these other teams will take. If I take Barkley, it will then go Chubb and QB - most likely Sam Darnold to the Jets. QB at 4th pick or trade down and to me it's better to take the picks. Because I'm not really in love with any of these QBs at the top of the draft. If there was a slam dunk QB then I'd take him. I'm sure there are 6 QBs all ranked #1 on team's boards. If I take QB, then it will go Barkley, and then QB, and I get Chubb. Ideally, I'd like Barkley and Chubb, but the Giants will take either Barkley or Chubb so they're not gonna let me get both. I don't think I'm getting blindsided by another team trading up for a QB with NYG because teams can wait because of the number of QBs who are all the same with no slam dunks and the price would be too high. Maybe someone would come up for Darnold if he's available 2nd overall but the Giants still might turn down a kings ransom to take Barkley. If the Jets are the only team taking QB in the top 3, the trade value for the 4th pick increases, because now the price is lower, and teams will want "their guy". To me the best realistic scenario, is get Barkley with the 1st pick and then flip the 4th pick.

As for my selections, Roquan Smith transforms my defense. I'd consider Landry there, but I felt that Roquan Smith gives me someone at the 2nd level of the defense and suddenly the Browns have a solid LB core with Smith, Kirksey, and Schobert. Two Pro Bowlers there and Kirksey is a really good player. Top 5 LB core. Jamie Collins saves $9m if you cut him next year.

The tackle position sucks this year so teams will overdraft this position. Kolton Miller is the only guy that has a 1st rd grade and teams like NE or teams picking late 1st rd will take him before he gets to the Browns 2nd rd picks. OT is a big need for the Browns with Joe Thomas retiring. Then I'm looking at Brian O'Neill, Orlando Brown, or Conor Williams and there's no guarantee Brown or WIlliams will be there and they're all pretty uninspiring.

As for Goedert, he's basically a WR. Your classic "Y" position and to go with Njoku gives me what the Patriots had with Gronk and Hernandez. I'm just looking at him as an offensive weapon and we'll find ways to get him the ball.

LaMar Jackson fits what I would want to do if I take Barkley and complements the rest of the offense. Read-option and RPO until the cows come home. Jarvis Landry screens and Josh Gordon deep balls. Njoku and Goedert for the underneath stuff. 

10 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

TintedElectricCarp-max-1mb.gif

So you guys are set on QB? Why? What QB screams safe, All-Pro, with the 1st pick? Not a bust - lead you to Super Bowls for years to come. Who is to say who you think is the top QB is exactly the same as what the Jets think is the top QB? Bc I'm sure it's different. You think the 20 turnover machine Sam Darnold is the pick? Rosen is better than Darnold. And I only think Rosen is a Matt Ryan. Solid top 15 QB. There's no one here that screams John Elway or Peyton Manning classic pocket passer. Rosen is the closest to that and he has a low ceiling.

Since that's the case, I'd prefer to build a team differently. With a QB that is mobile and gives me a great running game with Barkley. Surround him with two TE's, an OL, and the WR's I got in Landry and Gordon and I have a top 5 offense for years to come.

Sam Darnold will be just like Sanchez and Leinart in the NFL. If he went to Wyoming, he'd be a 3rd rd pick

8 hours ago, Money said:

My thinking is the Browns and Jets are the only teams taking QB in the top four picks. I don't know who the Browns top QB is and if it's Allen you can still get him at #4. If I want to guarantee RB and QB, I have to take Barkley first.

Since I got the 1st and 4th picks, I can control who these other teams will take. If I take Barkley, it will then go Chubb and QB - most likely Sam Darnold to the Jets. QB at 4th pick or trade down and to me it's better to take the picks. Because I'm not really in love with any of these QBs at the top of the draft. If there was a slam dunk QB then I'd take him. I'm sure there are 6 QBs all ranked #1 on team's boards. If I take QB, then it will go Barkley, and then QB, and I get Chubb. Ideally, I'd like Barkley and Chubb, but the Giants will take either Barkley or Chubb so they're not gonna let me get both. I don't think I'm getting blindsided by another team trading up for a QB with NYG because teams can wait because of the number of QBs who are all the same with no slam dunks and the price would be too high. Maybe someone would come up for Darnold if he's available 2nd overall but the Giants still might turn down a kings ransom to take Barkley. If the Jets are the only team taking QB in the top 3, the trade value for the 4th pick increases, because now the price is lower, and teams will want "their guy". To me the best realistic scenario, is get Barkley with the 1st pick and then flip the 4th pick.

As for my selections, Roquan Smith transforms my defense. I'd consider Landry there, but I felt that Roquan Smith gives me someone at the 2nd level of the defense and suddenly the Browns have a solid LB core with Smith, Kirksey, and Schobert. Two Pro Bowlers there and Kirksey is a really good player. Top 5 LB core. Jamie Collins saves $9m if you cut him next year.

The tackle position sucks this year so teams will overdraft this position. Kolton Miller is the only guy that has a 1st rd grade and teams like NE or teams picking late 1st rd will take him before he gets to the Browns 2nd rd picks. OT is a big need for the Browns with Joe Thomas retiring. Then I'm looking at Brian O'Neill, Orlando Brown, or Conor Williams and there's no guarantee Brown or WIlliams will be there and they're all pretty uninspiring.

As for Goedert, he's basically a WR. Your classic "Y" position and to go with Njoku gives me what the Patriots had with Gronk and Hernandez. I'm just looking at him as an offensive weapon and we'll find ways to get him the ball.

LaMar Jackson fits what I would want to do if I take Barkley and complements the rest of the offense. Read-option and RPO until the cows come home. Jarvis Landry screens and Josh Gordon deep balls. Njoku and Goedert for the underneath stuff. 

Man where are the down votes when you need them lol. This is the worst mock yet so at least your 1st place in being the worst. Imho

The logic of pick Barkley at #1 and QB at #4  is flawed. We can have our choice of a top QB that does not have to start for us. Pick the QB with the most skills and talents right now with the most potential upside... Sam Darnold. He sits while Taylor starts. NYG is not going to pick Barkley at #2. Eli is old and they are in the position to have an awesome bridge QB for a rookie to learn under or they can trade #2 away for a QB hungry team. Jets are not going to pick Barkley. They traded up to get their guy under center. That leaves Barkley at #4. We get the best QB in the draft AND the best RB in the draft. Taking Barkley at #1 and settling for the 4th best QB is not a good idea.

That is all

Mastercheddaar

17 hours ago, bruceb said:

Darnold.

Where have you been, under a rock?

Where have you been? Did you not see 20+ turnovers last season? Just bc the media hypes up a player doesn't mean he's good. C'mon man. You're better than that

On 4/12/2018 at 12:19 AM, MistaBohmbastic said:

@Money You're entitled to an opinion, but these takes are straight madness. You're basically disagreeing with just about every analyst on the planet and nearly stooping to DizzyDean's level...NEARLY.

These are my views of the QBs

Darnold - low ceiling, high floor. See Andy Dalton

Josh Rosen - top 15 starter. Safe. See Matt Ryan

Baker Mayfield - lowest floor. See Jeff Garcia

Josh Allen - boom or bust. I like him - maybe the best QB. But still so much risk. See Philip Rivers with Matt Stafford arm strength

LaMar Jackson - developmental QB. See Randall Cunningham

Mason Rudolph - boom or bust

When I look at the Browns QB situation, you're gonna hate this but in terms of stats Tyrod Taylor is top 10 in QBR over the past three seasons. In the Bills offense. With Barkley now he's got a running game and weapons and a line and he'll do quite well. The GM even said he loved Tyrod back in college. This is his guy. He'll add another guy without a doubt but it doesn't necessarily have to be the top pick or 4th pick. Because check this - he said he would do what is best for the Browns franchise. SaQuon Barkley is the best for the Browns franchise and every other franchise in the league.

Then I look at Drew Stanton and think OK the Browns brought in a #2 QB and completely cleaned house. A NFL capable backup. They are reducing the likelihood of a rookie QB playing to nearly zero percent. So, cool your jets over there.

They are looking for a developmental QB. Someone they can develop. There's no one better than LaMar Jackson. You're thinking we need a pocket passer as you pound the table for QB. No - you don't. There's more than one way to play this game. LaMar Jackson and SaQuon Barkley is how you turn around the Browns.

@Money If anything, Darnold is the closest of the class to Phillip Rivers. He's got all the tools and intangibles to develop into something truly special, so when you say lowest ceiling, that takes away a great deal of credibility in my book.

Mayfield has the lowest floor? REALLY? You call Allen a "boom or bust," and yet Mayfield somehow has a lower floor than THAT? Dude...I'm not gonna go in depth on why I disagree with that, but you're contradicting yourself while failing to acknowledge what makes this QB class so rare.

C'MON MAN!!

giphy.gif 

18 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

@Money If anything, Darnold is the closest of the class to Phillip Rivers. He's got all the tools and intangibles to develop into something truly special, so when you say lowest ceiling, that takes away a great deal of credibility in my book.

Mayfield has the lowest floor? REALLY? You call Allen a "boom or bust," and yet Mayfield somehow has a lower floor than THAT? Dude...I'm not gonna go in depth on why I disagree with that, but you're contradicting yourself while failing to acknowledge what makes this QB class so rare.

C'MON MAN!!

giphy.gif 

I just want to make sure you know that Philip Rivers is a top 20 QB. He's nothing special. When I say Josh Allen is Rivers with a Stafford arm I'm saying he has the potential to be a top 15 QB but he could easily flame out. And when he flames out he'll be a Ryan Tannehill. Albeit, a bust.

When Baker flames out, he'll be out of the league. Like Johnny Manziel. His chances of success are small and his chances of failing are high. See the Senior Bowl. Playing against all NFL caliber players. It's a little different playing Big XII where only one guy on the team goes NFL and playing in the Senior Bowl where these are all NFL or borderline NFL players.

Darnold. My boy Sam. Listening to Browns fans talk QBs is funny. Do you even know what a good QB looks like? Because I'm quite certain you don't have a damn clue. So, we give Sam the pass. All this guy did was play a few good games as a RS Freshman and that started the meteoric rise. All because he's a Freshman. This is the consensus #1 pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. And that was last June. He plays this year and it's the OL fault. It's the OL fault he holds the ball too long. You can audible, son. You can hot route. You can change the play. It's never Sam's fault. It's blame the OL. It's blame the Offensive Coordinator Tee Martin and the Head Coach. Why isn't it Sam's fault? The man has poor pocket presence. You'll never confuse this guy with Tom Brady. Shuffle, shuffle, with the eyes downfield and find your man. That's not him at all. And then we got the INT's. I watch some of these DB highlights and I keep seeing Sam Darnold INT's on their highlight films. 

You guys are just so pro-Darnold it's sick. Why? Because someone else told you he was good? This potential talk is dog ****. He is what he is. An average arm QB with poor pocket presence that gets by because he is a USC QB. Like I said earlier, if he went to Wyoming and Josh Allen went to USC would Josh Allen be the consensus #1 pick and Sam Darnold now a 3rd rd sleeper pick. I think so. 

Sam Darnold will never be anything more than another #14. Andy Dalton. They talk about this guy being a good athlete. He's the same athlete as Dalton. He's the same passer as Dalton. He's the same player as Dalton. The only thing that separates them is their University. Dalton went to TCU and went 2nd round and Darnold will go top 5 because he went to USC. Bottom line you're looking at Andy Dalton here. Sam Darnold is just another Matt Leinart or Mark Sanchez. Another USC disappointment.

@Money

giphy.gif

You act like what we've seen with Darnold last year is exactly what we're getting for the rest of his career, DESPITE the fact that he's the youngest QB of the Big 3 (Sidebar: Because screw it, I ain't counting Allen - a guy who cannot dissect a defense, throws 8 picks and one TD against the power five conferences (Please don't be a hypocrite and blame Allen's supporting cast), can't consistently show accuracy - amongst the REAL top QB's in this class)

...Anyways...DESPITE the fact that, for the majority of his high school career, he was a LINEBACKER not a QB! This is a prospect who is just getting started in his progression as a QB. He has this thing that is important for NFL QB's, they call it intangibles...anticipation, vision, accuracy (ESPECIALLY on the run, which is remarkable), he does have pocket presence. Sometimes, his footwork gets him into trouble. Watch the film and you'll see that his bounce will sometimes land him in poor position, causing a bad throw. That, and turnovers need adjustment. But to think that he cannot correct these things is sheer idiocy, I'm sorry. You say he holds the ball too long, sounds like YOU are the one who hasn't watched the tape or done the research dude. For one, last year he had the lowest sack rate of ANY college QB by a wide margin, and that's partially because he's able to get rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds or less with SUPREME accuracy. In fact, that's where he's had the majority of his success.

Contrary to your take, the stigma of USC QB's is not a good one. Rather, I've heard it as a knock against him COUNTLESS times. "USC QB's never work out," and so on...but if you've actually put in the time, you'd see that he was far superior to Sanchez, Barkley, Leinart, etc. AND he has the work ethic to improve even further. 

Shall I go on?

As the youngins say, Come at me, bro.

Archived