Australian Rules Football -- 2023 season is upon us! You really should be watching this game!

Bucketheadsdad

7 hours ago, Aussie9er said:

@Bucketheadsdad must be happy Ablett and Harry Taylor both signed deals for next season. Only bad thing is Tim Kelly requested trade to West Coast. Make them pay the farm for him. I would ask for their first 3 picks they have this year and next years first. 

Here is to hoping that Harry and "The Little Master" can get through 2020 healthy.  I know that both of them are legacies, and revered in Cats lore, but there is a distinct possibility that they may be preventing younger players from getting out of the VFL and onto the big stage.  

As far as Tim Kelly goes, it will be sad to see him leave, but I completely understand the decision that he and his fiancee have made.  I know he wants to go to the Eagles, but if they can get a better deal from Freemantle, I don't see any problem with putting him in the purple.

11 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

As far as Tim Kelly goes, it will be sad to see him leave, but I completely understand the decision that he and his fiancee have made.  I know he wants to go to the Eagles, but if they can get a better deal from Freemantle, I don't see any problem with putting him in the purple.

Unlike it US sports, in the AFL the player has to agree to the trade

Gentlemen @Shady Slim , @Aussie9er, @drd23, @Hail Mary, @biggbrd I wanted to touch base with you about something I'm beginning to work on.  I'm looking into starting a podcast about footy, but looking at it from the standpoint of an American.  

I did a little "what the hell" stream of consciousness seeing what it would be like.  (I did it on garageband on my Macbook, so the sound quality is not great at all.)

If you're interested in hearing what I put together, please shoot me your email in s pm, and I'll send it from mine (bucketheadsdad@gmail.com).

I'd love to get your feedback.

Edited by Bucketheadsdad

Havent gotten around to listen to it yet busy at work so havent had a chance yet 

@Bucketheadsdad

Tim Kelly to West Coast is done details below

West Coast receives Tim Kelly and a future third-round selection FROM: Geelong Cats

West Coast receives a third-round pick (currently No.52)FROM: Essendon

Geelong receives a first-round pick (currently No.14), a second-round pick (currently No.24), and a future first-round selection FROM: West Coast Eagles

Geelong receives a third-round pick (currently No.37)FROM: Essendon

Essendon receives a second-round pick (currently No.33) FROM: West Coast Eagles

Essendon receives a third-round pick (currently No.57) FROM: Geelong Cats

5 hours ago, Aussie9er said:

Havent gotten around to listen to it yet busy at work so havent had a chance yet 

@Bucketheadsdad

Tim Kelly to West Coast is done details below

West Coast receives Tim Kelly and a future third-round selection FROM: Geelong Cats

West Coast receives a third-round pick (currently No.52)FROM: Essendon

Geelong receives a first-round pick (currently No.14), a second-round pick (currently No.24), and a future first-round selection FROM: West Coast Eagles

Geelong receives a third-round pick (currently No.37)FROM: Essendon

Essendon receives a second-round pick (currently No.33) FROM: West Coast Eagles

Essendon receives a third-round pick (currently No.57) FROM: Geelong Cats

I hate to see Kelly go, but that is a pretty decent return for him.  It will be interesting to see what they do with the picks.  Will they use them to get some players ready to plug into the 22 to help try and win a premiership with Dangerfield, Selwood and Hawkins.

• 2 weeks later...

My thoughts on each team's trade period from best to worst.  PART 1

1. Western Bulldogs - Added Alex Keith (future all australian defender) and Josh Bruce (kicked 37 goals for pretty bad Saints team) for 2nd and 3rd rounders. Too add two key position players for minimal outlay was a steal. Picks for this years draft 13,53,89 

2. Geelong Cats - Losing Tim Kelly was a huge loss but the compensation for him was really good. Plus i am the believe you don't keep players who want to leave if you can get above market return. Unhappy players = Loses. Then adding Jack Stevens (huge risk high reward player) , Josh Jenkins (good extra tall forward for when Hawkins does something stupid) for minimal outlay was awesome.  Picks for this years draft 14,17,24,36,93.

3. Fremantle Dockers - When you lose both Bradley Hill and Ed Langdon and still end up having a great trade period you must be doing something right. Blake Acres is a ready made replacement for Ed Langdon and he was basically a throw in the Hill trade and his only 23. Then taking James Aish a good defender in a salary cap dump from Collingwood was a great move. Adding all the extra picks from Hill and Langdon trade should allow them to find replacements and re fill their midfield stocks. Picks for this years draft 7,10,22,58,69,79,83.

4. West Coast Eagles - Basically gave up this draft and 1st rounder next year for highly talented Tim Kelly. This move made the Eagles premiership favorites. Picks for this years draft 46,91. 

5. North Melbourne Kangaroo's - Getting Aidan Bonar for virtually nothing was a great move considering he was 11th pick two year ago. Then trading down from 8 to 26 and getting Melbourne's next year's first was a great move. I have Melbourne Demons in my bottom 3 team for next year. Picks for this years draft 26,27,47,50,73,84. 

6. St Kilda Saints - They were the big movers in the trade period and might of won the trade period if they got more for the players they let go. Their ins were Bradley Hill, Zac Jones, Paddy Ryder, Dougal Howard, Dan Butler. With Only Hill being top tier talent. Jones is a good player with plenty of speed which they need but the other ins all have question marks from Ryder (team fit and might slow devolpement of Rowan Marshall) and Butler and Howard being talented but not able to show it consistently which might not ever happen. The outs were Jack Stevens (4 Time best and fairest for the club), Josh Bruce (good forward) and Blake Acres (young winger) they basically gave them away or couldn't get value for them with teams knowing they needed the picks to get the players coming in.  Picks for this years draft 51,82. 

Edited by Aussie9er
  • Like 1

My thoughts on each team's trade period from best to worst.  PART 2

7th Hawthorn Hawks - Lost an aging Grant Birchell and Marc Pittonet neither players in their best 22 for next year for an ok return. Where the Hawks did well was getting Sam Frost for a song and Jonathan Patton for a 4th rounder (little risk high reward trade). Both should be in Hawks best 22 next year. Picks for this years draft 11,30,42,54,63,87,92.

8th Melbourne Demons - Brought in Ed Langdon and Adam Tomlinson to add speed to the team especially on the wing. Tomlinson could be a steal since cost nothing to get.  Where they didn't do good enough is let their best defender last season head to to Hawks in Sam Frost for a poor return and then traded up in draft with North Melbourne giving up next year's first. Even if they win the grand final next season they still lose about 450 pts of value on the trade chart and i still think they are a bottom 3 team next year. Which is a big win for North Melbourne. Picks for this years draft 3,8. 

9th Great Western Sydney Giants  - With Josh Kelly and Jeremy Cameron both needed new contracts next year the Giants needed to shred some cap which they did offloading Aidan Bonar, Adam Tomlinson, Jonathon Patton. Even if the returns weren't the best they did want they needed to and with their extra picks they got last trade period draft return wasn't as big as need as salary cap space. Did add Sam Jacobs to help out in the ruck which was an area of need. The trade of picks to move up to 6 was a smart move which should allow them to get Tom Green in the draft as a academy player.  Picks for this years draft 6,40,59,60,80,94

10th Gold Coast Suns - Not being able to work out a deal with the Blues for Jack Martin will mean they lose the Talented player for nothing when a late 1st or early 2nd should of been the compensation for him means they drop a few spots on this. Saying that getting in Brandon Ellis, Hugh Greenwood and Zac Smith should help improving the worst team in football. They are can be all solid veteran players for this team which is what they have been missing. Lost Callum Ah Chee to Lions but he needed a change of scenery and they have cover for him getting Ellis. Try to get Brad Crouch was a nice move even thou it failed shows they are moving in the right direction and with all their draft capital in the next couple of season the future is on the rise.  Picks for this years draft 1,2,15,20,78,90

11th Brisbane Lions - Added a old Grant Birchall to replace the retiring Luke Hodge to add toughness and experience in the back half of the ground. Also added the often injured Callum Ah Chee and Cam Ellis Yoman to replace the departing Tom Cutler and Lewis Taylor. Basically replaced depth with depth. After the last two trade periods adding Charlie Cameron and Lachie Neal they really needed to add the one high quality player (had the draft capital to do this easily) this trade period to close the gap or pass the West Coast Eagles and Richmond Tigers in the race for the Premiership. Picks for this years draft 16,21,34,48,52,55,72

12th. Richmond Tigers - Lost 2 surplus players in Brandon Ellis and Jack Graham. Got decent return of Ellis and nothing for Graham. No in's as Tigers using their cap for resigning their own players and shoring up their cap situation. Plus still have a great list with Alex Rance to come back from injury next season. Picks for this years draft 19,38, 39,41,56,75,77,95

Edited by Aussie9er
  • Like 1

My thoughts on each team's trade period from best to worst.  PART 3

13. Collingwood Magpies - Only managing to dump one player when trying to dump some salary with 5 of their top players being free agent next year equals a pretty poor trade period. James Aish was the one out given away basically to the Dockers. Then brought in Darcy Cameron from Sydney for backup Ruckman. Darcy has plenty to prove only playing a handful of afl games over the last 3 seasons. Picks for this years draft 35,62,74

14. Port Adelaide - Orazio Fantasia changing his mind about not coming to the Power threw the whole trade period for a loop and it shows in the moves they did. He would of been a great pick up for the Power and add another option in the forward line which is getting on in years. Didn't bring anyone in which is strange for a team trying to get back to the finals. Lost Dougal Howard (alot of potential but couldn't get it together at port), Patty Ryder got a good return for them but then let Billy Frampton leave and go to cross town rivals in the Crows.  Picks for this years draft 12,18,29,66,67,68,71,86

15. Essendon Bombers - Not Getting rid of Joe Daniher when he wanted out was a mistake since he is only contracted for next year. So his value was high and you never know if he will get over his injuries. Might lose him for alot next year in a. Needed to trade him to get back into the top of the draft since they traded all their high picks for this draft last year. Got in a backup ruckman in Andrew Phillips and added depth to midfield stocks in Tom Cutler. Both players won't see much action unless injuries. No Outs. Picks for this years draft 31,33,61,64,65,88

16. Sydney Swans - Chased Joe Daniher for the whole trade period and never offered a good deal for him. Announcing you want a player then not willing to trade what market value is never works out so i really struggle to figure out what Swans plan was for Daniher. Losing Zack Jones speed will hurt. Losing Darcy Cameron not a big deal since never gets to play but makes there ruck depth needed to be address in draft at some point. Getting Lewis Taylor former Rising star winning could turn out to be a great move if he can get his first couple of seasons form back but that was two years ago. Picks for this years draft 5,24,32,44,76,81.

17. Carlton Blues - Missed out on two guys they were really keen on in Tom Papley and Jack Martin. Not getting those players made them losers of the trade period. They got Eddie Betts in (not sure if he adds much at his age more a feel good story than trade that will help them get back to finals) and a backup ruckman in Marc Pittonet to make up for losing their previous backup ruckman in Andrew Phillips. Picks for this years draft 9,43,57,70,85

18. Adelaide Crows - 1st year of a rebuilding club is rough as the Crows found out alot of outs for little value (players too old to have much value) and one in as a backup ruckman in Billy Frampton. The outs were Eddie Betts, Alex Keath, Hugh Greenwood, Josh Jenkins, Sam Jacobs, Cam Ellis-Yolmen. Picks for this years draft 4,23,28,37,45,49. 

Edited by Aussie9er
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@aussie_eagle, @Aussie9er, @biggbrd, @drd23, @khodder, @Shady Slim, @Hail Mary

Just wanted to let you folks know that I am in the process of getting a podcast up and running.  It is going to be focused on footy from the angle of an American talking with people in both Australia and the US, including people involved with the USAFL.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...