Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

2nd-rnd pick Vukcevic picked up the slack w/ many of his teammates out. He was a central part of the Wizards' offense against Chicago, as he took 13 shots en route to 15 points, 8 rebounds & an assist. His rebounding was a highlight of the Wizards' Summer League.

Have to buy out Vuk's contract and bring him to the states.

Could Coulibaly eventually be a Scottie Pippen-esque type player? A wing that finishes and is an elite defender? Not comparing to Scottie... just the prototype. Clearly he needs to develop his shot.

Speaking of developing shots, that applies to a lot of guys which is concerning. Deni, Coulibaly, Davis, Vukcevic. The Wiz are also small. All of that is okay though. Those factors are what we'll ensure we're a lottery team again - lack of consistent shooters, developing players, lack of size. Keep in mind that we need to be a lottery team the next few years or we lose our first round pick via a pick swap. That expires (or reverts to a second rounder) after three years I believe. 

We also want Poole and Kuz to ball out so we can trade them. 

I think the TRUE rebuild, believe it or not, starts in the 2026 draft. So I could see Poole and Kuz gone in two years, a big time tank, and a race for a top three pick in 2026. 

Settle in and enjoy the development and small wins.

BTW... I'm really excited about Tyus Jones. 

BTW again... David Vanterpool is an excellent hire. I read he is widely credited as taking Desmond Bane's game to the next level. Being a young, rebuilding team, adding Vanterpool should be a big help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like Klay Thompson gave Jordan Poole and Kyle Kuzma a new nickname & Kuz approves given his tweet out of the name Swaggy Buckets! I love it! Win or lose this should be a fun season watching Poole & Kuz play together and be the #1 and 2 scoring options on this team.

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2023 at 2:34 PM, MikeT14 said:

Anyone else feeling less bad about getting "fleeced" in the Beal trade? 

No bc Beal doesn't have the same pedigree as Dame. Beal hasn't taken his team on a deep playoff run while being the #1 option and Beal isn't clutch which Dame is.

This type of deal wasn't available to us for Beal after he signed his new contract. That's why those who called for Beal to be traded at the traded in January of 2021 & 2022 before he got hurt both years were right. That's when Beal’s market was the best. His contract wasn't near $50 million a year back in 2021 & 2022 and he wasn't coming off two years where he basically missed the entire second half of the season.

Just now, turtle28 said:

No bc Beal doesn't have the same pedigree as Dame. Beal hasn't taken his team on a deep playoff run while being the #1 option and Beal isn't clutch which Dame is.

This type of deal wasn't available to us for Beal after he signed his new contract. That's why those who called for Beal to be traded at the traded in January of 2021 & 2022 before he got hurt both years were right. That's when Beal’s market was the best. His contract wasn't near $50 million a year back in 2021 & 2022 and he wasn't coming off two years where he basically missed the entire second half of the season.

I'm saying the Beal deal doesn't look as bad now. I feel like Portland didn't get much for Dame either... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm saying the Beal deal doesn't look as bad now. I feel like Portland didn't get much for Dame either... 

Oh ok, I think they got more for sure bc they got Jrue Holiday & Ayton - two starters - but other than that the deals are similar with the pick swaps especially since we flipped Chris Paul into Jordan Poole, Baldwin & Rollins.

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I have to seriously disagree here. They got a legitimate All Star PG in Jrue Holiday that they will be able to flip for additional assets. The 2029 unprotected pick they got from the Bucks is a more valuable draft pick than anything the Wizards got for Beal. Plus they were able to add a former #1 overall pick solid Center in Ayton who's still only 25 years old and reasonably cost controlled until 2026. 

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Oh ok, I think they got more for sure bc they got Jrue Holiday & Ayton - two starters - but other than that the deals are similar with the pick swaps especially since we flipped Chris Paul into Jordan Poole, Baldwin & Rollins.

Like Paul with us, they're flipping Holiday immediately supposedly. 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I have to seriously disagree here. They got a legitimate All Star PG in Jrue Holiday that they will be able to flip for additional assets. The 2029 unprotected pick they got from the Bucks is a more valuable draft pick than anything the Wizards got for Beal. Plus they were able to add a former #1 overall pick solid Center in Ayton who's still only 25 years old and reasonably cost controlled until 2026. 

It's definitely a better deal. I think I just expected more from that one too. 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Its not over yet. They are going to get more for Holiday than what the Wizards got for Chris Paul. 

Easily. We will see what. I think I just saw the return so far (knowing Jrue wasn't staying), and was just kinda shocked at it too.