Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m not buying a house. I’m going to a sporting event or concert with 20,000 to 70,000 people. 

You missed the analogy. Look at the map and tell me where you'd feel safer walking around and being in a parking deck or metro stop or side street at night (or even during the day). It's why I used the buying a house analogy. People when coming to an unfamiliar place to live, will look at the crime statistics and decide if they want to be there or not. Same with fans coming into an area to go to games. You want to market the team(s) to families, your slogan has to be better than:

"Yes, the crime is skyrocketing and homicides have gone up in the area where the stadium is located...but you'll probably be okay."

Landover where you go to watch the C’s play is nearly as bad for crime, do you feel unsafe when leaving the game with tens of thousands of people and cops all around?

I won't elaborate (and actually can't) but I deal with identifying and mitigating risk on a large scale in my job everyday. The kind of risks, where if I'm wrong (and my team is wrong), things could happen that could end badly (you're free to read between the lines and make assumptions of what that means) for lots of people.

So I'll answer it this way:

Not 100% no. Like I said. Nothing is 100%.

But there's a tradeoff in terms of acceptable risk. There's enough police presence not only at the stadium but for a mile outside of it in every direction. And I'm in my car. A vehicle which provides me egress away from danger. A vehicle I can get to inside the venue that is protected by those police officers. For FedEx, that is an acceptable risk to me.

Neither Nats stadium nor Cap One Arena can say the same thing.

When I go to Cap One Arena, parking is crap (and wayyy overpriced and fills up quickly) and I end up parking blocks away where I see exactly zero police (unlike FedEx where I start to see police almost a mile away). I'm walking on streets that are barely lit at times. And I make that mental calculus that it's just me and if something happens, I can exit a bad situation if it presents itself. With a wife and a 12yo and 5yo in tow? Not a chance. So that calculus I used for an acceptable risk changes as the variables change. What doesn't change though is the crime rate in those areas. They are still bad places to be. And if you think that criminals are going to just sit on their couches and "sit one out" while 60k people loaded with money pass through their neighborhoods, I don't know what to tell you.

• Like 1

@Thaiphoon When you go to Cap One Arena you should park at the open lot across from the renaissance hotel & it’s next to the Conrad hotel. I park there all the time and when I go the IBEW which is on 7th street.

You only have to walk 3 blocks down to the arena & Yard House is right across from the IBEW if you want to chill there.

It’s also easy to leave bc it’s an open lot which holds like 50 cars maybe?

When going to Nats stadium I park at Whole Foods which is in NJ Ave SE. Now it is like a 5 block walk to the stadium but I don’t mind it personally. But then again 3 or 4 days a week I walk like 5 miles a day around Capitol Hill so maybe I’m just used to that. But again, it’s easy to get in and out of that garage & you’re on 395 easy going down 2 blocks, taking a right & then 2 more blocks take a right.

On 12/16/2023 at 12:53 AM, turtle28 said:

@Thaiphoon When you go to Cap One Arena you should park at the open lot across from the renaissance hotel & it’s next to the Conrad hotel. I park there all the time and when I go the IBEW which is on 7th street.

You only have to walk 3 blocks down to the arena & Yard House is right across from the IBEW if you want to chill there.

It’s also easy to leave bc it’s an open lot which holds like 50 cars maybe?

When going to Nats stadium I park at Whole Foods which is in NJ Ave SE. Now it is like a 5 block walk to the stadium but I don’t mind it personally. But then again 3 or 4 days a week I walk like 5 miles a day around Capitol Hill so maybe I’m just used to that. But again, it’s easy to get in and out of that garage & you’re on 395 easy going down 2 blocks, taking a right & then 2 more blocks take a right.

I think you made the point for him.  You and I, who attend a lot of sporting events and are familiar with the parking lot areas in DC and Baltimore respectively, know where to go.  The average person, especially one attending with a family, does not.  And that is who is looking at crime rate and determining whether or not to attend a game.  

I try to help a lot of people out with traveling to games, but you can only do so much.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All I keep hearing is about how trash this draft is. I kinda wish I hadn’t been rooting for them to lose all year, so that the pick they owe to NYK would just convey now. It sounds like even “winning” the top pick wouldn’t be much of a win — seeing them compare it today to the Anthony Bennett draft back in 2013, and saying that that draft was better 🤦🏻‍♂️

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

All I keep hearing is about how trash this draft is. I kinda wish I hadn’t been rooting for them to lose all year, so that the pick they owe to NYK would just convey now. It sounds like even “winning” the top pick wouldn’t be much of a win — seeing them compare it today to the Anthony Bennett draft back in 2013, and saying that that draft was better 🤦🏻‍♂️

I think this is the year to take one of the European young guys with a bunch of potential like Alex Sarr, I think is his name? He reminds me of Rudy Goubert. Getting a guy like that to be our defensive staple rim protector, rebounder & rim runner/athletic offensive big guy that could be something. We need to lock in one of the top 3 picks to get him though. 

Also, I think we will be rebuilding for 3 years or so until we get a team together which is a playoff team again. So, I see us tanking for two more seasons. So, if we can get an Alex Sarr type center now, then get a PG and another wing to go along with Couli or stretch 4 in the next two drafts after this year and those 4 players develop together over the next 4 or 5 years we could have one of the best upcoming teams in the NBA.

Edited by turtle28

A few guys will rise to the top. While I'm not suggesting we'll win the lottery, and the get the #1 pick overall, a quick glance at the #1 overall picks doesn't show too many busts. There is a very good chance we get a very good player. What we want, of course, is an elite player. 

And I agree with turtle28, this is a multi-year tank job. 

While I'm here, the trade deadline is three weeks away. Right now, it's looking like Tyus Jones may be the most realistic trade chip. A mid-to-late first seems to the be the consensus return. I really like Jones. But it's a rebuild. I'd love to capitalize on Kuzma's nice season and see a desperate team give us an offer we can't pass up on. Poole is a poor man's Trae Young, who I think is overrated. 

• Like 1