Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

5 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

A few guys will rise to the top. While I'm not suggesting we'll win the lottery, and the get the #1 pick overall, a quick glance at the #1 overall picks doesn't show too many busts. There is a very good chance we get a very good player. What we want, of course, is an elite player. 

And I agree with turtle28, this is a multi-year tank job. 

While I'm here, the trade deadline is three weeks away. Right now, it's looking like Tyus Jones may be the most realistic trade chip. A mid-to-late first seems to the be the consensus return. I really like Jones. But it's a rebuild. I'd love to capitalize on Kuzma's nice season and see a desperate team give us an offer we can't pass up on. Poole is a poor man's Trae Young, who I think is overrated. 

I agree, I see Tyus getting moved, not sure if we get a 1st but I’d love to.

I’d like to trade Kuz too but I’m not sure it happens bc I’m not sure they’ll get an offer back that they’d like to see for him.

I’d like to move Kuz for the disgruntled Jade Ivey who is a Pg that the Pistons are forcing to play SG bc they have Cade Cunningham but, we’ll see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 7:17 PM, turtle28 said:

Amazing trade by getting that much back for Gaff, but I sure wish they were able to move Kuz & Tyus.

Getting a late 1st for a guy that’s actually pretty good isn’t amazing. I actually think they got taken to the cleaners on this deal similar to just about every trade this group has made. I guess they got an extra first to go along with the 39 second rounds picks. Seems these stooges aren’t any better than the ones before them. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Getting a late 1st for a guy that’s actually pretty good isn’t amazing. I actually think they got taken to the cleaners on this deal similar to just about every trade this group has made. I guess they got an extra first to go along with the 39 second rounds picks. Seems these stooges aren’t any better than the ones before them. 

Gafford’s fine, but there’s a lot of “Gaffords” out there. These bouncy rim-runner bigs are pretty easy to find if you really need one.

I think the goal over the next few years is going to be to try to accumulate as many shots as possible at finding cornerstone perimeter players. The modern game is built around guys who can handle the ball, shoot, force the defense into rotations by driving, create shots for others, and be switchable on defense. Even among the new generation of bigs, the best ones can contribute in a lot of those areas. 

But the Gaffords of the world can’t do any of that. They’re fine, helpful players, but you’re never going to build around one. They’re sort of like the NBA version of RBs — the way the game has changed, you don’t want to pour any resources into them unless they’re special. And he’s not. 

The likelihood is that the 26th pick (or whatever) will never be a better player than Gafford. But there’s at least a chance that that asset one day turns into a cornerstone piece — and there’s no chance that Gafford will ever be that. Where they are right now, I think they’re shooting for high ceilings (and fine with lowering the floor).

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 7:25 PM, lavar703 said:

Moving his salary is a win in itself. Gaff is not a building block. He's a rim runner who can block shots but gets pushed around on the block a lot by most centers. He's fine, but we have Bagley now & he's a better all around C.