Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

That Porzingis trade was terrible. He essentially gave him away. Maybe he would’ve walked for nothing but I’m pretty sure they could’ve got more.

not maybe. He was. I forgot why a trade ended up happening but he was opting out and then opted in to do the trade. But that was not a bad deal. The fact that we got anything was a miracle. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Instead he handed him to the Celtics for a bag of chips. He got a late first round pick in a terrible draft for Gafford. It was essentially taking whatever just to move him. Unloading Beal was great but ending up with Poole has been rough. I also wasn’t a fan of the Bilal C pick either. I’m probably complaining about him too soon but he got a bunch of second round pick swaps and second rounders 5 years from now. I’m not exactly sure what he’s doing that’s been good? 

I don’t know that anything is technically good but nothing is certainly making me think he’s been taken to the woodshed. Outside of Garfford which I acknowledge he is getting rid of crap and getting longshot assets. It’s a slow process with the mess we had. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

What trades specifically? There are so many "whatever" ones. Taken to the woodshed? There's no 'Wentz" trade here. Gafford maybe but that wasn't going to pan out here when we were ready. 

He traded two 2nds in last year's draft to move up 1 spot to take Coulibaly who likely would have still been available with their original pick. He traded Chris Paul for Jordan Poole, and Poole has quickly become the new worst contract in the NBA for negative trade value. He dumped Rui Hachimura to the Lakers for Kendrick Nunn and a 3 crappy 2nd round picks. 

14 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

He traded two 2nds in last year's draft to move up 1 spot to take Coulibaly who likely would have still been available with their original pick. He traded Chris Paul for Jordan Poole, and Poole has quickly become the new worst contract in the NBA for negative trade value. He dumped Rui Hachimura to the Lakers for Kendrick Nunn and a 3 crappy 2nd round picks. 

Well we were just crapping on all the 2nd rounders so I’m not sure how to take that. 
Did you want to keep Paul? Didn’t we get a little other value out of that?

didn’t a lot of us want to get rid of Rui? We had too many wings. 

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Did you want to keep Paul?

No.

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Didn’t we get a little other value out of that?

Patrick Baldwin who averaged 4.4 ppg on 13 min per game this season. Ryan Rollins, who was cut after allegedly shoplifting from multiple Targets in the DC area. A 2027 2nd round pick. A 2030 First Round Pick from the Warriors that is top 20 protected. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 12:48 PM, lavar703 said:

What? lol. How does trading a 23-year old building block improve a team that should be building? What is Dawkins going to do? Get 35 more second round picks 20 years from now? People don't want to admit it but that dude has been taken behind the woodshed on almost every trade he's made. 

Dawkins & Winger built the Thunder. They know what they’re doing. The ways to build an NBA team are far different than how you build an NFL team. Well accept that the more assets you have the more flexibility you have to make moves to really improve the team when you’re young core is set & ready to be a playoff team. 

It’s freaking amazing the flexibility they have right now. I do wish they had traded Tyus Jones, Shamet & Kuz in February even if we only got 1 first for Kuz & seconds/projects for Jones/Shamet I wanted to make moves.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

No.

Patrick Baldwin who averaged 4.4 ppg on 13 min per game this season. Ryan Rollins, who was cut after allegedly shoplifting from multiple Targets in the DC area. A 2027 2nd round pick. A 2030 First Round Pick from the Warriors that is top 20 protected. 

We moved a crap ton of cap space in the future & took a chance that Poole could be a good starter at one of the guard positions but I think he tops out as a great 6th man, which I’m good with.

There’s no way we could’ve predicted that Rollins would’ve gotten picked up for grand theft. Before that he was looking like he’d be a good reserve for us for the foreseeable future as a back up combo guard.

I think Baldwin still has potential as a back up stretch 4. He’s a good shooter. One thing 8 was worried of is that when we traded one of the Warriors 2nds to move up for Couli, we essentially traded Trace Jackson-Davis & he was decent for the Warriors this year as a back up C/PF. He’s not a great shooter but, that can be improved. He does everything else well though and I hate that we passed on him.

Maybe if we hadn’t traded up someone else was going to ytade up in front of us and take Couli & they didn’t want to miss him but, I would’ve been fine with Jarce Walker instead. He’s actually the guy I wanted but Couli has amazing potential to be the next great foreign wing on both ends of the court.

Edited by turtle28

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2024 at 7:40 PM, MKnight82 said:

All of those moves were made to create future cap space & to get more assets to move up in the draft to get who they wanted. My guess is that someone else was trading up with Indy to get Couli so that’s why they traded the 2nds to move up with the Pacers to ensure they got their man.

Couli’s potential is extremely high on both ends. I could see him developing into the next great European wing by year 3 or 4 kind of like Deni’s projection he’s finally reaching.

The reason they moved Rui is they couldn’t keep Porzingiz, re-sign Kuz & Rui plus those 3 played similar positions even though they play the PF position differently.

I still hate that Wes didn’t start Rui & Kuz together at forward with KP at center. I think that would’ve been our best frontcourt lineup for us 2 years ago but oh well, can change that now.

Edited by turtle28

On 6/10/2024 at 5:44 PM, lavar703 said:

That Porzingis trade was terrible. He essentially gave him away. Maybe he would’ve walked for nothing but I’m pretty sure they could’ve got more. Instead he handed him to the Celtics for a bag of chips. He got a late first round pick in a terrible draft for Gafford. It was essentially taking whatever just to move him. Unloading Beal was great but ending up with Poole has been rough. I also wasn’t a fan of the Bilal C pick either. I’m probably complaining about him too soon but he got a bunch of second round pick swaps and second rounders 5 years from now. I’m not exactly sure what he’s doing that’s been good? 

As @MKnight82 explained the fact that we got anything for Porzingiz and he didn't just walk for nothing is great front office work. After Beal was traded, KP wasn't re-signing here bc he's at the point in his career where he wants to be on a contender and might even take less $ to get that done. 

The Poole trade hasn't worked out like we had all hoped but it was just year 1 on a new team & they had coaching issues & a lot of unstable parts fluctuating on the roster. Let’s see if Poole can become more stable this year as he settles into the PG role. If not then he’ll probably be traded at the trade deadline to a team that needs a scoring guard off the bench.

The fact that we got a 1st for Gafford is amazing. Gafford is good as a rim runner and blocking shots but that's all he offers, I liked what we got out of Bagley after we acquired him & Vukecvic once he joined the team. Vuk needs to get stronger but his skills as a big are similar to Porzingiz’s. 

I don't like that we traded up for Coulibaly bc I actually liked Jarce Walker better. I will say that Couli flashed a lot on both ends as a rookie though. He will only be 20 when next season starts. He's a really good defender & he's athletic as hell. If his shot gets more consistent & it seems I think he’ll be a star a few years later now with Super Star potential.

I hate that we missed on Trayce Jackson-Davis bc we traded the 2nds bc I think at worst he’s going to be a top reserve for the Warriors and he could be their future starting C or PF.

My idea for the draft is to trade #2 & Kuz to Atlanta for #1 & DeAndre Hunter & we select Alex Sarr #1.

What do you all think?

PG: Poole, Butler

SG: Couli, Terrence Shannon (#26 pick), J.Davis

SF: Hunter, Corey

PF: Deni, Sarr, Baldwin

C : Bagley, Vukcevic, Holmes

On 6/15/2024 at 6:59 AM, turtle28 said:

My idea for the draft is to trade #2 & Kuz to Atlanta for #1 & DeAndre Hunter & we select Alex Sarr #1.

What do you all think?

PG: Poole, Butler

SG: Couli, Terrence Shannon (#26 pick), J.Davis

SF: Hunter, Corey

PF: Deni, Sarr, Baldwin

C : Bagley, Vukcevic, Holmes

Wizards would be trading Kuzma for a lesser player on a worse contract for the ability to take someone who has a good chance to be available at 2 anyways. I think they’d be better off trying to get a future first for Kuzma out of someone. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Wizards would be trading Kuzma for a lesser player on a worse contract for the ability to take someone who has a good chance to be available at 2 anyways. I think they’d be better off trying to get a future first for Kuzma out of someone. 

I agree. 

23 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Kuz is definitely a better offensive player but, he’s a defensive liability, just like Poole. Our two best players are defensive liabilities. Also, Kuz is 2 and a half years older than Hunter.

I’ll be shocked if Sarr doesn’t go #1 but anything is possible.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Kuz is definitely a better offensive player but, he’s a defensive liability, just like Poole. Our two best players are defensive liabilities. Also, Kuz is 2 and a half years older than Hunter.

I’ll be shocked if Sarr doesn’t go #1 but anything is possible.

Most mocks have Zaccharie Risacher going #1.