Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

23 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

LOL

They had a camera crew with Hughes after he got drafted...he congratulated Byram and someone else when he saw them but when he walked past Kakko? Dead ******* silent. This kid already gets it. He's going to be a friggin' legend at the Rock.

Kakko game him a really weird look too lol.

Hilarious setting him next to Dach with the size difference. And I love that he was still trying to track the draft as he was going. "Cozens, huh? Who was that to, Buffalo?"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Kakko game him a really weird look too lol.

Hilarious setting him next to Dach with the size difference. And I love that he was still trying to track the draft as he was going. "Cozens, huh? Who was that to, Buffalo?"

Kid seems to love life. He's going to be a great addition to that locker room. Someone posted on HF on Friday night that that pic (him between Kakko and Dach) looks similar to Kane's draft (when he stood in between JvR and Kyle Turris). Let's hope it works out the same way.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

Another trade with Nashville. 

We received Adam Helewka for future considerations. Interesting move. He's only 23, had 50 points in the AHL last year. He's probably our Lappin / Qville replacement as a AAAA type player to round out the top of bing, but obviously a somewhat intriguing move to make. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

Another trade with Nashville. 

We received Adam Helewka for future considerations. Interesting move. He's only 23, had 50 points in the AHL last year. He's probably our Lappin / Qville replacement as a AAAA type player to round out the top of bing, but obviously a somewhat intriguing move to make. 

Played in Milwaukee but never got the chance to see him play. Seems like a AAAA player tho. Nothing wrong with rounding Bingo out. 

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Played in Milwaukee but never got the chance to see him play. Seems like a AAAA player tho. Nothing wrong with rounding Bingo out. 

For sure. We need Bing to be good to help these players develop

Do you think that we start Hughes at center? I'm really wondering about that. I know it sounds silly, but I'm more than a little concerned about our ability to win faceoffs. Nico is not good at it at all. Zacha has gotten a ton better over the last three years, but he's still not great (maybe he takes another step forward though and hits that 50% mark). Hughes almost assuredly will not be good at it out of the gate. The only reliable face off man that we have is Zajac (who was pretty dominant at it last year). I know it sounds a little silly, but I kind of wouldn't hate on signing someone like Jason Spezza to a 1 year deal to play mostly 4th line minutes but also help take important faceoffs (overtime / offensive zones) 

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

Do you think that we start Hughes at center? I'm really wondering about that. I know it sounds silly, but I'm more than a little concerned about our ability to win faceoffs. Nico is not good at it at all. Zacha has gotten a ton better over the last three years, but he's still not great (maybe he takes another step forward though and hits that 50% mark). Hughes almost assuredly will not be good at it out of the gate. The only reliable face off man that we have is Zajac (who was pretty dominant at it last year). I know it sounds a little silly, but I kind of wouldn't hate on signing someone like Jason Spezza to a 1 year deal to play mostly 4th line minutes but also help take important faceoffs (overtime / offensive zones) 

I think Hughes and Zacha will end up on the same line so it doesn't really matter what position he technically plays. Zacha will be considered the left wing but he'll be the faceoff guy of the line.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I think Hughes and Zacha will end up on the same line so it doesn't really matter what position he technically plays. Zacha will be considered the left wing but he'll be the faceoff guy of the line.

Then we will definitely need one more center on the 4th line. I don't know, I'm really kind of digging the idea of a Jason Spezza signing in that case if he's willing to leave Dallas. That guy has been dominant at the dot forever, and losing important face offs could be crucial. We can call it the Bob Corkum role lol. 

Or we could trade for Adam Lowry. He's often played the wing in Winnipeg, but takes a lot of the face offs, and he's a machine at them as well over the last couple of years. We could send Mueller + nominal prospect type back to winnipeg if they want to unload the salary (3m / yr @ 2 more years). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

So Nikita Gusev is a total pipe dream, yes?

I think he's available and all that. Not sure we will be in on him. If love to take a chance on him for eating that Clarkson salary. But I think nj may be on his no trade list (Clarkson's)

Donskoi apparently has a lot of interest. Oilers are in on him, Sabres are apparently hard in on him. I don't think that we will get into a bidding war for any free agent this year, so I think if someone like Donskoi is getting a bunch of interest, it's unlikely we will end up with him. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Donskoi apparently has a lot of interest. Oilers are in on him, Sabres are apparently hard in on him. I don't think that we will get into a bidding war for any free agent this year, so I think if someone like Donskoi is getting a bunch of interest, it's unlikely we will end up with him. 

I'd go as high as $5 Million AAV for Donskoi. Would just depend on term at that point. 

On 6/25/2019 at 7:01 PM, Forge said:

I think he's available and all that. Not sure we will be in on him. If love to take a chance on him for eating that Clarkson salary. But I think nj may be on his no trade list (Clarkson's)

Clarkson owes us. He only got that contract because he was in Jersey and we basically paid his Jersey tax by bumping up his AAV.