Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Just now, beekay414 said:

Of course it's friggin' Galchenyuk.

I was legitimately shocked by the push back I got for proposing him as a FA signing next year on a 1 to 2 year deal. Not many fans of him at all, which is kind of weird. Youngest free agent on the market. Definitely won't be in demand because of hte struggles this year which means you're getting him at a reasonable price even with the market up of being the Devils. Before this year, consistent 20 goal, 40 point scorer. I get that that he's not a long term solution, but damn, there are not many better options for getting serious return value right out of the gate. Baseball teams do this crap all the time. Look at what the kings got for Taffoli. If Chucky gets back to his normal self next year and you sell him at the deadline as a rental, a second rounder + highly thought of prospect like Tyler Madden is one of hell of a profit. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I was legitimately shocked by the push back I got for proposing him as a FA signing next year on a 1 to 2 year deal. Not many fans of him at all, which is kind of weird. Youngest free agent on the market. Definitely won't be in demand because of hte struggles this year which means you're getting him at a reasonable price even with the market up of being the Devils. Before this year, consistent 20 goal, 40 point scorer. I get that that he's not a long term solution, but damn, there are not many better options for getting serious return value right out of the gate. Baseball teams do this crap all the time. Look at what the kings got for Taffoli. If Chucky gets back to his normal self next year and you sell him at the deadline as a rental, a second rounder + highly thought of prospect like Tyler Madden is one of hell of a profit. 

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm getting better any way I can. I'll gamble on a 2 year, $10 Million deal for Galchenyuk.

23 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Which means we likely wouldn't retain nor take back salary. Great, cheap owners. So expect another halfassed rebuild attempt. 

Yeah, I don't know how the money doesn't work unless Baertschi wasn't enough and we wouldn't take on Ericksson (or he wouldn't waive) or an additional salary to make it work.  We could easily pick up Beagle for a couple of years at 3 million and hand them back Rooney. All kind of the same. 

Still, always was kind of banking on Columbus as the landing spot if any, tbh. 

Honestly not expecting much the rest of the way. I think that there's a possibility that Domingue gets traded given the waivers situation today, but what are we getting there, a 6th? I don't think that Palms is getting dealt. Vats will eventually get dealt, but I think that he's probably at the very bottom of most teams priority list because they want term instead. He'll get moved on actual deadline day. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yep. That's why I laughed. I wanted to respond and be like "and get him for what?" I hate fans lol.

the rumors are that there are quite a number of teams in on palms. Avs, Oilers, Flames, Bruins, Islanders all rumored to be in on him, maybe others. I'd still be quite surprised if we trade him, but if we do, I don't know how Boston finishes at the top of a bidding war. They just don't have the upper echelon prospects. 

My hope would be that we could somehow figure out how to work a deal with Edmonton. Supposedly they were in on Coleman and he was one of the few guys that they would have given up the first round pick for. I have to imagine that Palms at 50% retained would fit that bill as well. But mainly, I just like the top of their prospect pool the most besides the Avs. They wouldn't give up Bouchard, but I'd be plenty happy with Broberg or even Lavoie to go along with that first. 

Colorado I'd love to get in there as well, but I think that they are going to make a deal with Montreal. After that, it's a lot of meh. Boston? Nothing exciting there to be honest, especially if we have to take Backes back. The Islanders have apparently put in some feelers...but if Dobson isn't included, I'm just not down with anyone, especially since Sorokin is not likely to be included (and I'd rather just take a shot and see if we could sign Samonov or Bilyalov or Bocharov if we are going to see what we can find in a Russian goalie). After that, I have a minor interest in Holmstrom (AHL at 18 is interesting), but really no love for Wahlstrom or Wilde and Bellows has been underwhelming at age 21 in the AHL. 

The Flames have Pelletier and then seriously nothing that is interesting whatsoever. And he's tiny, so I don't have a lot of love there. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

the rumors are that there are quite a number of teams in on palms. Avs, Oilers, Flames, Bruins, Islanders all rumored to be in on him, maybe others. I'd still be quite surprised if we trade him, but if we do, I don't know how Boston finishes at the top of a bidding war. They just don't have the upper echelon prospects. 

My hope would be that we could somehow figure out how to work a deal with Edmonton. Supposedly they were in on Coleman and he was one of the few guys that they would have given up the first round pick for. I have to imagine that Palms at 50% retained would fit that bill as well. But mainly, I just like the top of their prospect pool the most besides the Avs. They wouldn't give up Bouchard, but I'd be plenty happy with Broberg or even Lavoie to go along with that first. 

Colorado I'd love to get in there as well, but I think that they are going to make a deal with Montreal. After that, it's a lot of meh. Boston? Nothing exciting there to be honest, especially if we have to take Backes back. The Islanders have apparently put in some feelers...but if Dobson isn't included, I'm just not down with anyone, especially since Sorokin is not likely to be included (and I'd rather just take a shot and see if we could sign Samonov or Bilyalov or Bocharov if we are going to see what we can find in a Russian goalie). After that, I have a minor interest in Holmstrom (AHL at 18 is interesting), but really no love for Wahlstrom or Wilde and Bellows has been underwhelming at age 21 in the AHL. 

The Flames have Pelletier and then seriously nothing that is interesting whatsoever. And he's tiny, so I don't have a lot of love there. 

Honestly, I just want to trade Palms. I don't want to extend him because I don't feel it makes any sense to do so in our current situation. If we're not going to retain him, why waste this chance to get a haul for him? I get waiting til after his charity thing on Saturday but you have to move him IMO.