Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

25 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

This is infuriating. It shows that he CAN be good but he just doesn't want to be good. Maybe Ruff will get something out of him but maybe he just doesn't enjoy hockey. 

I saw that first tweet on hf and I legitimately laughed as my first reaction. It's the most pavel Zacha thing ever

• Like 1

Chucky went to Ottawa for 1 year/1.02 Million or something like that. I would've given him that chance. Just tells me we plan on Boqvist being a player this year.

So does Gusev play the left side no matter what? I hate off handed wingers. I didn't get to see a lot of Devils games this year but was Bratt the RW on the Bratt-Zacha-Gusev line?

14 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Chucky went to Ottawa for 1 year/1.02 Million or something like that. I would've given him that chance. Just tells me we plan on Boqvist being a player this year.

So does Gusev play the left side no matter what? I hate off handed wingers. I didn't get to see a lot of Devils games this year but was Bratt the RW on the Bratt-Zacha-Gusev line?

Yeah, I was going to say something on the board...I find it weird that people were hating on Chuckie at that cost. "He's not good"...."not the type of player we need". We need offense, and he's seriously been a .5 ppg  or more player his entire career except his second season and a very brief stint with Pitt last year (he was back to .5 with Minnesota). I mean, the rest of his game does stink, but he's making 1.05M and we are paying Miles Wood 2.75 lol. Even if Chuckie sucks at that price point, who the hell cares? 

I don't think Goose gets bumped from Bratt, so I think he'll stay there. Bratt was the RW, yes. I think they'll get paired with Nico and Palms / Johnsson will go with Jack (which is probably what should happen). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think Goose gets bumped from Bratt, so I think he'll stay there. Bratt was the RW, yes. I think they'll get paired with Nico and Palms / Johnsson will go with Jack (which is probably what should happen). 

Yeah, I've slotted those two with Nico but I hate the fact that we have both off hand on the same line. Could be an issue defensively that Nico alone, from the forwards, can't cover himself.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I've slotted those two with Nico but I hate the fact that we have both off hand on the same line. Could be an issue defensively that Nico alone, from the forwards, can't cover himself.

The best line we had last year from a production and analytics stand point, was Bratt - Nico - Palms. So if Ruff wanted to go with what is known to be the best, that would be the top line. The problem is, I don't know that anyone really wants to put Goose with Jack, and I don't think that anyone wants to push down Goose or Jack to another line. That's where it gets tricky. I just don't know that anyone would feel comfortable with those two together. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The best line we had last year from a production and analytics stand point, was Bratt - Nico - Palms. So if Ruff wanted to go with what is known to be the best, that would be the top line. The problem is, I don't know that anyone really wants to put Goose with Jack, and I don't think that anyone wants to push down Goose or Jack to another line. That's where it gets tricky. I just don't know that anyone would feel comfortable with those two together. 

Yeah, you cannot put Jack and Gusev together. The smart bet is what you said. An easy top 6 construction based on roles alone would be;

Gusev-Hischier-Bratt
Johnsson-Hughes-Palmieri

But you never know with new coaches.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, you cannot put Jack and Gusev together. The smart bet is what you said. An easy top 6 construction based on roles alone would be;

Gusev-Hischier-Bratt
Johnsson-Hughes-Palmieri

But you never know with new coaches.

Honestly, it's one of the reasons I wouldn't have minded picking up another center. I would have been fine targeting a guy like Strome from Chicago. There's nothing that supports that Zacha needs to a be a center... I don't think he's any better or worse playing wing or center. He's very blah at both. I'd love to have a third scoring center type with Zajac as our defensive guy on the fourth line. Zacha can play a wing role on the third line or something. I'd just love to roll out three scoring lines

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

With Holtz being as good as he has been and Mercer likely coming sooner rather than later, I don't see how we keep either Gusev or Palmieri long term.

I definitely don't think that we keep both. I keep waffling back and forth on whether I think we keep Palms. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I definitely don't think that we keep both. I keep waffling back and forth on whether I think we keep Palms. 

I don't. The only way I want him back is if it covers the timeline while Mercer develops. Like a 3 year extension, maybe 4. Mercer slowly gets brought into a top 6 role. I'm not going 5 whatsoever.