Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Hopefully we get it figured out soon. Really don't want to go into the season with a LW group of Johnsson, Wood, Kuokkanen and Sharangovich/Boqvist.

I don't think that they are concerned about the regular season, just seems like camp is out because of mandatory quarantine. I think it's like 2 weeks or something so it basically just knocks the entire thing

• Like 1

Sometimes, I'm not quite sure why we do this. We did the same thing to Okhotyuk and he's now going to burn off 2 years on his ELC. Like, Mercer is not coming to the NHL this year, why don't we wait to sign him? Do you know the reasoning on that? This is something I'm not overly familiar with in regards to reasoning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Sometimes, I'm not quite sure why we do this. We did the same thing to Okhotyuk and he's now going to burn off 2 years on his ELC. Like, Mercer is not coming to the NHL this year, why don't we wait to sign him? Do you know the reasoning on that? This is something I'm not overly familiar with in regards to reasoning. 

I don't think ELC's kick in until you play in the NHL? Okhotyuk hasn't lost any time on his ELC according to CapFriendly.

EDIT - Yeah, the ELC's slide for a year so we don't burn it until next year.

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I don't think ELC's kick in until you play in the NHL? Okhotyuk hasn't lost any time on his ELC according to CapFriendly.

Yup a lot of ELC's slide if you don't break the games played barrier. They'll probably give him a cup of coffee in the NHL if he's good enough in training camp, and then send him back to junior and have his ELC slide. It's a good development model.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canadian Saint said:

Yup a lot of ELC's slide if you don't break the games played barrier. They'll probably give him a cup of coffee in the NHL if he's good enough in training camp, and then send him back to junior and have his ELC slide. It's a good development model.

How long can ELC's slide, assuming they are signed at 18/19?

Edited by beekay414

Just now, beekay414 said:

How long can ELC's slide, assuming they are signed at 18/19?

It depends on a few factors. Obviously the big one is games played in the NHL. However there are provisions in the CBA about age cut off. For example, Evan Bouchard has had his ELC slide last season in the AHL because he was before the age cut off. So technically post draft the Oilers have had 2 years of development that hasn't effected his ELC. Technically this upcoming season will be his first season burning a year off his ELC.

Just now, Canadian Saint said:

It depends on a few factors. Obviously the big one is games played in the NHL. However there are provisions in the CBA about age cut off. For example, Evan Bouchard has had his ELC slide last season in the AHL because he was before the age cut off. So technically post draft the Oilers have had 2 years of development that hasn't effected his ELC. Technically this upcoming season will be his first season burning a year off his ELC.

Yep, seems the same with Ty Smith. He hasn't played in the AHL or anything yet but he hasn't burned anything off his ELC and he signed that in 2018.

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yep, seems the same with Ty Smith. He hasn't played in the AHL or anything yet but he hasn't burned anything off his ELC and he signed that in 2018.

I think it's mid September is the cut off date. So if you have a birthday before that you will have your ELC slide. Tbh I think it's great. The extra year of development has been terrific for Bouchard, and for the Oilers it didn't force them to rush him to make use of his ELC. His gradual cups of coffee in the AHL and then the NHL has really helped him work on some holes. I suspect the same plan is there for Mercer.

• Like 1