Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

50 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

This defense requires Kinkaid to stand on his head in order to win games. He's been amazing so far today and we're down 1-0 despite having a 5 on 3 opportunity already. We have two, MAYBE, 3 NHLers on this blue line and Vatanen probably bails this offseason.

Yeah, defense has been pretty abysmal. I think Smith will be on the big boy roster next year. 

It's really painful to see the all of the defensive zone giveaways. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, defense has been pretty abysmal. I think Smith will be on the big boy roster next year. 

It's really painful to see the all of the defensive zone giveaways. 

Hate to say it but we need to try and trade Severson. I know we need blue liners but dude just doesn't get it. If not, move him to RW or something. He's a terrible dman.

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Hate to say it but we need to try and trade Severson. I know we need blue liners but dude just doesn't get it. If not, move him to RW or something. He's a terrible dman.

He really is. I floated the idea of a Severson for Oscar Klefbom earlier this year. Identical contracts. We could have used the lefty, they could have used the righty. Change of scenery may be good for both. We may have to send something else along with Severson, but it's a move I would make even still. 

Other than that, going to be really curious how they handle the defensive corps next year. Lovejoy is a UFA and should absolutely not be back. Yakovlev is a UFA, hasn't been here enough to not whether he's worth keeping, but at the current point in time, I'd be willing to give him a deal and see if he sticks a little more with a year seasoning under his belt. Mueller and Butcher are RFAs. I would suspect that both are back. Mueller has shown some really nice flashes this year in my opinion, but inconsistent as all get out. Butcher kind of is what he is. I don't think he's more than a bottom 2 pairing and PP point man. Has value, but it is what it is. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

He really is. I floated the idea of a Severson for Oscar Klefbom earlier this year. Identical contracts. We could have used the lefty, they could have used the righty. Change of scenery may be good for both. We may have to send something else along with Severson, but it's a move I would make even still. 

Other than that, going to be really curious how they handle the defensive corps next year. Lovejoy is a UFA and should absolutely not be back. Yakovlev is a UFA, hasn't been here enough to not whether he's worth keeping, but at the current point in time, I'd be willing to give him a deal and see if he sticks a little more with a year seasoning under his belt. Mueller and Butcher are RFAs. I would suspect that both are back. Mueller has shown some really nice flashes this year in my opinion, but inconsistent as all get out. Butcher kind of is what he is. I don't think he's more than a bottom 2 pairing and PP point man. Has value, but it is what it is. 

I'm curious to see what we do with Greene and Schneider going forward. Both have hefty contracts and both are brutally bad now. We still have a LONG ways to go. So, naturally, let's root to land Jack Hughes in 2019 and then Ryan O'Rourke or Justin Barron in 2020. 

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm curious to see what we do with Greene and Schneider going forward. Both have hefty contracts and both are brutally bad now. We still have a LONG ways to go. So, naturally, let's root to land Jack Hughes in 2019 and then Ryan O'Rourke or Justin Barron in 2020. 

I think we ride it out with Green. One more year at 5 million isn't an albatross, and we can improve the defense and shift him down to a third pairing hopefully. He'd be grossly overpaid for the role, but he does bring a few intangibles I guess, and once next year is over, he's done. 

Schneider is the one I can't figure. If we aren't going to spend the money, may make sense to eat another year on the deal before buying him out. That contract is such an albatross at 6 over the next 3 after this year. The problem is, I have no idea what we are doing at goalie in the meantime. I honestly don't think that we can afford Keith Kinkaid. He's not going to get a long term deal, but I have a hard time imagining us paying out 9 million to 2 goaltenders. I mean, he should get similar to Hutton, right? I know that Hutton was coming off a great season heading into FA, but their career stats are very similar, Kinkaid is younger, and they have both largely been part time / platoon type goal tenders. 

I guess the hope is that Blackwood continues to play well at Bing. He's having a really solid season thus far. Having a second goalie on an ELC that could be pretty solid would be huge for this team in my opinion. 

Just now, Forge said:

I think we ride it out with Green. One more year at 5 million isn't an albatross, and we can improve the defense and shift him down to a third pairing hopefully. He'd be grossly overpaid for the role, but he does bring a few intangibles I guess, and once next year is over, he's done. 

Schneider is the one I can't figure. If we aren't going to spend the money, may make sense to eat another year on the deal before buying him out. That contract is such an albatross at 6 over the next 3 after this year. The problem is, I have no idea what we are doing at goalie in the meantime. I honestly don't think that we can afford Keith Kinkaid. He's not going to get a long term deal, but I have a hard time imagining us paying out 9 million to 2 goaltenders. I mean, he should get similar to Hutton, right? I know that Hutton was coming off a great season heading into FA, but their career stats are very similar, Kinkaid is younger, and they have both largely been part time / platoon type goal tenders. 

I guess the hope is that Blackwood continues to play well at Bing. He's having a really solid season thus far. Having a second goalie on an ELC that could be pretty solid would be huge for this team in my opinion. 

At this point, I don't think it really matters much who is in goal. If we can't afford Kinkaid, then just role with whatever garbage we can and hope for the best. At this point, I'm not all that positive on Hall returning unless we land Hughes and have a semblance of hope for the future. Last year was fun and all but it was clearly an anomaly.  

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

At this point, I don't think it really matters much who is in goal. If we can't afford Kinkaid, then just role with whatever garbage we can and hope for the best. At this point, I'm not all that positive on Hall returning unless we land Hughes and have a semblance of hope for the future. Last year was fun and all but it was clearly an anomaly.  

Next summer is going to be really interesting with regards to Hall. There has to be a point where you start entertaining trade offers, particularly if you don't have an extension in place by next summer. I'm torn on how I feel about it with regards to Hall. If I were him, I wouldn't want to play long term for a team that I view as not having a great immediate future, and we are straddling that line if we don't make some improvements. On the other hand, he may appreciate the love he's gotten since coming over, and appreciate the low key market. I don't know. But definitely something that will need to be monitored. If we don't have a deal agreed on by the summer, I think that I would want to trade him as early as possible while you have a bigger market with more teams feeling like they could make a run rather than trying to stretch out the extension as long as possible and moving him at the deadline (I suppose this depends on how close the team feels they are with regards to an extension with him, something I obviously won't be privy to) 

I think MarJo gets moved at this deadline. Loved the deal when we made it, something just hasn't clicked right, and I think he'll actually have some value at the deadline. I think people like the skillset and speed, realize that his S% in particular has to be due for some positive regression. I mean, 6%? That's about as much of an anomaly as you can get. Boyle could be a guy that we land a minor return for if a team wants center depth, some face off work and maybe the intangibles. 

• Like 1

Watching Stephen Gionta try and body up Brian Boyle has to be one of the most amusing hockey visuals I have seen in a long time. The size disparity was hilarious. 

Also, is there a more reckless skater than Taylor Hall in the NHL? He's a greater skater of course, but man, just aggressive and reckless sometimes. Has no care about his own body