Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If only we had finishers...

I was thinking about this today when listening to puck soup...if we make the playoffs, we are going to be a pain in the *** for someone to play given how good we are 5 on 5. When the game tightens and there aren't as many penalties called, that should benefit us (Granted, we probably need some more grinder types to really push it, but the premise holds)

• Like 1

Adam Gaudette to waivers. A few years ago, I think he was a thing for Vancouver. At least, the Canucks fans seemed to think so. Had a really solid season two years ago and then struggled last year and wasn't even really given a shot this year it seems like. 

I don't think that we put in a claim, but someone will and I wouldn't hate it if we did. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I was thinking about this today when listening to puck soup...if we make the playoffs, we are going to be a pain in the *** for someone to play given how good we are 5 on 5. When the game tightens and there aren't as many penalties called, that should benefit us (Granted, we probably need some more grinder types to really push it, but the premise holds)

Yep and we have a goalie tandem that are capable of standing on their heads for long stretches. We get in, we're going to be a tough out, for sure. Likely don't win a round, though, due to lack of real finishers (unless we manage to make a deadline deal for one and Holtz keeps the pressure on in Utica).

Adam Gaudette to waivers. A few years ago, I think he was a thing for Vancouver. At least, the Canucks fans seemed to think so. Had a really solid season two years ago and then struggled last year and wasn't even really given a shot this year it seems like. 

I don't think that we put in a claim, but someone will and I wouldn't hate it if we did. 

Yeah we don't really have a spot for him with Jack almost back. I mean, I'd probably make the claim since he'd be a pretty damn ideal 13th forward (C, right handed shot) and see what happens. Depth is viable and we tend to get pretty damn banged up.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Yeah we don't really have a spot for him with Jack almost back. I mean, I'd probably make the claim since he'd be a pretty damn ideal 13th forward (C, right handed shot) and see what happens. Depth is viable and we tend to get pretty damn banged up.

At a salary of less than 1M, I don't see why you wouldn't throw in a claim for sure. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yep and we have a goalie tandem that are capable of standing on their heads for long stretches. We get in, we're going to be a tough out, for sure. Likely don't win a round, though, due to lack of real finishers (unless we manage to make a deadline deal for one and Holtz keeps the pressure on in Utica).

The thing that concerns me is that we made the deal for Tatar who was supposed to be that dude for us. I can't blame Fitz if he wanted to wait and see if Tatar figured it out. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing that concerns me is that we made the deal for Tatar who was supposed to be that dude for us. I can't blame Fitz if he wanted to wait and see if Tatar figured it out. 

I mean, it was a low risk signing for us tbqh. All it cost was cap space and it's a short term deal. If he doesn't figure it out, we can get out from under him to someone, for sure.

If Wood does come back this year (rumors are he's out for the year), we're going to have an interesting decision to make on who our 13th forward would be because you're healthy scratching one of Vesey, Sharangovich or Kuokkanen every night. I guess you could rotate guys and scratch Bastian/McLeod some nights too but, either way, we're gonna be rotating a lot.

21 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If Wood does come back this year (rumors are he's out for the year), we're going to have an interesting decision to make on who our 13th forward would be because you're healthy scratching one of Vesey, Sharangovich or Kuokkanen every night. I guess you could rotate guys and scratch Bastian/McLeod some nights too but, either way, we're gonna be rotating a lot.

If he comes back and is reasonably healthy, I'm immediately trading him lol.  I definitely have no interest in signing him long term with a hip injury, so with one year left, I'm taking what I can get and running. 

21 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Also, I wonder how long we're going to healthy scratch Ty. Hopefully he's just banged up/not fully recovered from the injury that sidelined him to start the year and we're going to take our time getting him right.

The most concerning thing for me is that we scratched him and Sevs seriously had his best game of the year lol 

White has played competently and I'm not opposed to putting Ty down in Utica if White is just flat out playing better than he is. 

White also exhausts his rookie status this game. 

If he comes back and is reasonably healthy, I'm immediately trading him lol.  I definitely have no interest in signing him long term with a hip injury, so with one year left, I'm taking what I can get and running. 

lol I doubt he'd clear medically to trade him this year. He's a RFA so we can always trade his rights after the year.