Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Just now, beekay414 said:

And the worst post on Hockey's Future goes to....

Ewww....yeah, no. 

You know that I've long been a supporter of Kakko. I really, really like him, and I think he's a lock to be a good player in the NHL. That being said, I made my own post over there about who we should go with, and even I said it should be Hughes LOL. There's just more growth potential. Hughes' floor would generate Scotty Gomez like production. If he becomes a goal scorer? Yeah, he's 90+ point Kane from 3 of the last 4 years. 

I think Kakko will be a lock to be 70 points...I don't think he's a guy that will likely crack 90 or anything (it could happen, Barkov tore it up this year and almost hit 100, and he's a guy that had a similar draft profile and production)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I seriously can't even begin to explain how stoked I am over today. It totally sucks that we have to wait like 6 months before we get back on the ice lol. 

I will be buying NHL Center Ice or whatever the cable package is just so I can DVR every game. I missed a ton of games this year due to being on 2nd shift. Now that we have Triple H? Yeah, I'm not missing a minute of ice time.

• Like 1

So, we have a former Hart Trophy winner and now two #1 overall picks on our roster. There's really no reason we shouldn't become appealing to free agents. We're going to start winning sooner rather than later. 2019-2020 might be a "compete but not win" type year and we'll get another solid draft pick out of it, but 2020-2021? Yeah, let's ******* go. If Blackwood is as good as he looked this year, and Ty Smith can come up and be our #1 dman down the line along with the defensive depth we have coming through the system (Davies, Walsh, Sissons, Jacobs), there's no reason we can't be a title challenger down the line. 

Edited by beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

So, we have a former Hart Trophy winner and now two #1 overall picks on our roster. There's really no reason we shouldn't become appealing to free agents. We're going to start winning sooner rather than later. 2019-2020 might be a "compete but not win" type year and we'll get another solid draft pick out of it, but 2020-2021? Yeah, let's ******* go. If Blackwood is as good as he looked this year, and Ty Smith can come up and be our #1 dman down the line along with the defensive depth we have coming through the system (Davies, Walsh, Jacobs), there's no reason we can't be a title challenger down the line. 

Absolutely. And I think that Shero has to play the market this year. I don't think that you can take a team like this one and only add Hughes and have people be happy. If our blue line is still a rookie Ty Smith / Greene, Butcher / Mueller, Severson / whichever random d-man we have to fill the gap, we are still going to have problems. If the team wants to keep Hall, and Hall wants to play for a winner, more talent has to be added. Get the ball rolling this year and have us back in the playoffs with some good, solid veteran acquisitions like Edler on a short term deal, or maybe someone like Tyler Myers coming off a down season at a discounted rate. Stralman is another guy who would probably be really good for this team. He completely broke down this year health wise, but he's largely been healthy throughout his career. Solid defensive defenseman, and at his age, we are not locking him up long term. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Absolutely. And I think that Shero has to play the market this year. I don't think that you can take a team like this one and only add Hughes and have people be happy. If our blue line is still a rookie Ty Smith / Greene, Butcher / Mueller, Severson / whichever random d-man we have to fill the gap, we are still going to have problems. If the team wants to keep Hall, and Hall wants to play for a winner, more talent has to be added. Get the ball rolling this year and have us back in the playoffs with some good, solid veteran acquisitions like Edler on a short term deal, or maybe someone like Tyler Myers coming off a down season at a discounted rate. Stralman is another guy who would probably be really good for this team. He completely broke down this year health wise, but he's largely been healthy throughout his career. Solid defensive defenseman, and at his age, we are not locking him up long term. 

Will be really interesting to see what Shero does. Gotta figure we'll definitely be in the trade avenues with the excess draft picks as well. 

Will be really interesting to see what Shero does. Gotta figure we'll definitely be in the trade avenues with the excess draft picks as well. 

Honestly, I'd prefer a trade if we can make it work, just because we are more likely to get someone younger and cost controlled for a couple of years. I know that we have mentioned a few in the past. I really just don't want us to be using all those picks that we have. I want to put them to use to either secure better prospects and move up, or nhl roster caliber players. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I'd prefer a trade if we can make it work, just because we are more likely to get someone younger and cost controlled for a couple of years. I know that we have mentioned a few in the past. I really just don't want us to be using all those picks that we have. I want to put them to use to either secure better prospects and move up, or nhl roster caliber players. 

We will. If we're not going to be in play for Panarin, Skinner, Eberle or Dzingel, I'm still pounding the table for Miles Wood and a 2nd to Minnesota for Jason Zucker. Had a down year but he's still only 27 and is under contract for a reasonable $5.5 Million until 2022-23. 

We will. If we're not going to be in play for Panarin, Skinner, Eberle or Dzingel, I'm still pounding the table for Miles Wood and a 2nd to Minnesota for Jason Zucker. Had a down year but he's still only 27 and is under contract for a reasonable $5.5 Million until 2022-23. 

I'd do that in a heartbeat. I'd put JT Miller in that bin as well. Tampa will definitely need to make a move or two. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd do that in a heartbeat. I'd put JT Miller in that bin as well. Tampa will definitely need to make a move or two. 

I'd love to try and raid the Lightning if we could lol. Like we've said before, take on a bad contract to land some upside.

Matt Niskanen would likely be available. 5.75M with 2 more years left, and the caps have some need for cap space. Long in the tooth, but he's an ice time hog. Anaheim has Josh Manson. Both of those are righties. I'm sure there are more guys out there, but I'd have to really dig into it. 

• Like 1

My great fear is that we leave the blue line largely as is. That really scares me. I think we need to capitalize on Severson's very solid offensive year and ship him off. With Vats / Butcher / Smith, he's completely superfluous. Lou drafted him, maybe he still likes the kid. Guys like Carrick can be retained, but used as AHL call ups along with someone like Santini. Mueller should basically be the 6/7 defenseman along with Greene (assuming that we just let the latter ride out his last year with us just because). So in my opinion, we need to add two new defensemen. Smith / Vats / Butcher / Mueller & Greene (they can rotate) / free agent / trade acquisition. 

• Like 1