Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

StevenToddIves over on Hockey's Future has really settled me down in regards to if we fall even the slightest bit. I know you've had your hesitations on Alex Turcotte but STI has really sold me on him should we fall. Said he's in the same mold as Nico in regards to being an excellent two way player. Wouldn't be the worst 1-2 center punch you could imagine. Whether we end up with Byram, Turcotte, Cozens or Podkolzin, I'm easing my concerns. STI has REALLY sold me on this top 10-11 in the draft. We're going to get a franchise caliber player one way or the other, I think.

STI actually has his own top 40 posted on the Devils forum if you want to check it out. 

Yeah, Turcotte worries me from an injury standpoint. Being unable to hold up health wise now doesn't inspire a ton of confidence that he's going to be able to do so in the NHL. Credit to him that he's played through a lot, but my understanding is that he seems to be banged up a lot. Podkolzin just strikes me as too much of a wildcard that early in the draft. May be a little too similar to the Zacha selection.

We got Davies signed to a 2 year deal. He would have been a college free agent had we not signed him before the deadline this year. So we have him in the fold. I'd expect him to be given a real shot at the roster next year, but I find it unlikely that he'll make the squad. Going to be interested to see what we do with the RFAs on our blue line. Carrick, Mueller and Butcher are all RFAs with Yakovlev unrestricted. My guess is that we cut bait with Yakovlev. Mueller and Butcher I obviously expect back at the NHL level and to be in the 6 man. I'm guessing Carrick gets a small deal and may be in the AHL next year, though I can't say for sure. He may end up with some legit NHL bottom 2 pairing interest from somewhere. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Forge said:

We got Davies signed to a 2 year deal. He would have been a college free agent had we not signed him before the deadline this year. So we have him in the fold. I'd expect him to be given a real shot at the roster next year, but I find it unlikely that he'll make the squad. Going to be interested to see what we do with the RFAs on our blue line. Carrick, Mueller and Butcher are all RFAs with Yakovlev unrestricted. My guess is that we cut bait with Yakovlev. Mueller and Butcher I obviously expect back at the NHL level and to be in the 6 man. I'm guessing Carrick gets a small deal and may be in the AHL next year, though I can't say for sure. He may end up with some legit NHL bottom 2 pairing interest from somewhere. 

Fitzgerald seems to think that he'll make the squad. Gonna be interesting to see how the blue line depth plays out.

18 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

We lost, Sabres won. We've locked up, at the very worst, the 6th pick. So one of Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Cozens, Turcotte or Podkolzin will be ours.

I should probably add that Zegras will be in play too. Just depends on how we feel about Podkolzin and whether or not we want another possible Russian headache.

So it comes down to tomorrow. We get the Panthers in Florida where we are terrible and the Kings play the Knights at home with the Knights playing like crap lately (1-6 in their last 7). C'mon Hockey gods, give us the leg up in the Hughes/Kakko sweepstakes. The Kings don't deserve it!

43 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Glad we're winning a meaningless game because of moral victories. **** that. I hope we fall to the 6th pick because this team (and Hynes) are dumb. 

So freaking dumb. May need some super lotto luck

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

So freaking dumb. May need some super lotto luck

We're going to suck for a year and end up with Trevor Zegras. I can feel it. 

I cant stand Hynes. We arent doing **** in this league until he's replaced. Shero needs to sack up and fire his buddy. No room for cronyism in successful sports. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

I will say though, thought zacha really out together a nice end of season all told. Maybe he's finally finding something

Or teams just stopped playing and it's a flash in the pan. 

Hard to be positive right now. Tuesday night better bring us some of that "we have Taylor Hall" lotto luck. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

We're going to suck for a year and end up with Trevor Zegras. I can feel it. 

I cant stand Hynes. We arent doing **** in this league until he's replaced. Shero needs to sack up and fire his buddy. No room for cronyism in successful sports. 

This is the thing that bugs me the most. It's highly evident that last year was all about Hall carrying this team. Hynes is simply a terrible gameplay coach. Something I kind of miss about Lou lol. That dude would can anyone in a heartbeat

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is the thing that bugs me the most. It's highly evident that last year was all about Hall carrying this team. Hynes is simply a terrible gameplay coach. Something I kind of miss about Lou lol. That dude would can anyone in a heartbeat

Hynes is so very clearly the worst coach in professional sports. No matter the talent, we wont win **** til he's gone. 

His arrogance also probably cost us Byram, Kakko or Hughes. He deserves Zegras. 

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Hynes is so very clearly the worst coach in professional sports. No matter the talent, we wont win **** til he's gone. 

His arrogance also probably cost us Byram, Kakko or Hughes. He deserves Zegras. 

My fear is that after taking Smith, we are going to bypass Byram even if we are picking three. Very legit fear for me