Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Clutch loss lol

We need to hit this first rounder strong. 

Kurt Gabriel has outscored qville and Mikey combined in 13 fewer games. How horrifically sad is that? I think Qville is pretty much done as a devil

1 hour ago, Forge said:

We need to hit this first rounder strong. 

Kurt Gabriel has outscored qville and Mikey combined in 13 fewer games. How horrifically sad is that? I think Qville is pretty much done as a devil

I think I would've rather just lost that pick for Kovy lol. Lou sucked towards the end. 

I don't know what's up with Mikey but I think he's still got a shot as a solid NHLer. Could see him as Zajac's replacement as 3C down the line. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

I think I would've rather just lost that pick for Kovy lol. Lou sucked towards the end. 

I don't know what's up with Mikey but I think he's still got a shot as a solid NHLer. Could see him as Zajac's replacement as 3C down the line. 

Mikey is young enough not to be super concerned at this point, but he's nothing special at the next level. Didn't light up the ahl either. Limited ceiling there for sure

Just now, Forge said:

Mikey is young enough not to be super concerned at this point, but he's nothing special at the next level. Didn't light up the ahl either. Limited ceiling there for sure

That's fine. No reason to think he can't be what Coleman or Wood are tho. He's got a spot. 

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Lou sucked towards the end. 

If you take out the trades for kovy and Cory which included giving up first rounder, Lou hadn't hit on a first round pick since 2004. He left in 2015.  That's not a joke. His last good first rounder for the devils was zajac in 2004.  That's insanity. Maybe you can give him credit for Larsson getting us Hall, but I don't think chia's stupidity should be used to justify what turned out to be a not great pick

1 minute ago, Forge said:

If you take out the trades for kovy and Cory which included giving up first rounder, Lou hadn't hit on a first round pick since 2004. He left in 2015.  That's not a joke. His last good first rounder for the devils was zajac in 2004.  That's insanity. Maybe you can give him credit for Larsson getting us Hall, but I don't think chia's stupidity should be used to justify what turned out to be a not great pick

We'll eventually get out of this hole but it just shows how terrible Lou was. Hoping, for the Isles sake, they have someone else that drafts for them lol.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

We'll eventually get out of this hole but it just shows how terrible Lou was. Hoping, for the Isles sake, they have someone else that drafts for them lol.

Ty Smith, Nico and bratt were damn fine starts. Boqvist may be legit too. Was very impressed with Talvitie of course, as you know. Unfortunately, besides Talvitie, all of those guys should be on the NHL roster next year, not the guys "waiting in the wings"

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Ty Smith, Nico and bratt were damn fine starts. Boqvist may be legit too. Was very impressed with Talvitie of course, as you know. Unfortunately, besides Talvitie, all of those guys should be on the NHL roster next year, not the guys "waiting in the wings"

Also gotta consider the 2019 1st rounder. That guy might end up being the best of the bunch so that's still something to be really excited about, especially considering we're RIGHT THERE for top Kakko odds. Gotta count Blackwood in that group too. StevenToddIves over on HockeysFuture really loves Joey Anderson too and dude knows his **** so I'm still holding out hope for him. He also thinks Walsh, Jacobs and Davies are solid core pieces to our blue line with Davies being a solid bottom pairing type and Walsh+Jacobs being able to hold down a top 4 spot potentially.

But the key probably lies with this 2019 draft. We're in prime position to change the shape of the franchise with six (seven?) picks in the top 100 of a really deep draft. This is where Shero and Castron will earn their money.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

We have to make those picks count. I'd actually prefer to package some and get back into late round 1 early round 2. I'd rather have 3 picks in the top 40 or so than 6 in the top 80. Not sure if we can make that happen though. 

Man, if we didn't get that meaningless win yesterday, we'd be sitting in the 2 spot. We absolutely cannot win these last two games. Really hoping the Hurricanes and Panthers show out and destroy us. The Panthers are out but the Hurricanes should be a sure fire loss. They are jostling for playoff positioning. Kings finish with the Ducks and Knights so, if we win another game, they are locked into the 2 spot because there's no way they are beating both of those teams.

Don't know the tiebreakers but we also cannot win because the Sabres are free falling and are only 2 pts ahead of us.

Edited by beekay414

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Man, if we didn't get that meaningless win yesterday, we'd be sitting in the 2 spot. We absolutely cannot win these last two games. Really hoping the Hurricanes and Panthers show out and destroy us. The Panthers are out but the Hurricanes should be a sure fire loss. They are jostling for playoff positioning. Kings finish with the Ducks and Knights so, if we win another game, they are locked into the 2 spot because there's no way they are beating both of those teams.

Don't know the tiebreakers but we also cannot win because the Sabres are free falling and are only 2 pts ahead of us.

Buffalo has the tiebreaker over you right now (regulation + OT wins).  If you happen to tie them in points, and somehow get the ROW to equal out (1 BUF win in regulation/OT and you guys win both the last games via shootout), you guys won the season series so you'd finish ahead of them.  

Long story short, don't tie the Sabres. 

Edited by flyers0909
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Forge said:

This season will be the worst kind of season if we end up with like the 5th or 6th pick. Unless Byram happens to fall there. Not an impossibility, but I'd rather not take that chance. 

StevenToddIves over on Hockey's Future has really settled me down in regards to if we fall even the slightest bit. I know you've had your hesitations on Alex Turcotte but STI has really sold me on him should we fall. Said he's in the same mold as Nico in regards to being an excellent two way player. Wouldn't be the worst 1-2 center punch you could imagine. Whether we end up with Byram, Turcotte, Cozens or Podkolzin, I'm easing my concerns. STI has REALLY sold me on this top 10-11 in the draft. We're going to get a franchise caliber player one way or the other, I think.

STI actually has his own top 40 posted on the Devils forum if you want to check it out.