Predict The Pick v.2 - 14 - Packers

Texas_OutLaw7

Who should the Packers Draft with the 14th overall pick?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Packers Draft with the 14th overall pick?

• Lamar Jackson - QB - Louisville
    • Derrius Guice - RB - LSU
    • Ronald Jones II - RB - USC
    • DJ Moore - WR - Maryland
    • Calvin Ridley - WR - Alabama
    • Mike McGlinchey - OL - Notre Dame
    • Kolton Miller - OL - UCLA
    • Isaiah Wynn - OL - Georgia
    • Connor Williams - OL - Texas
    • Taven Bryan - DT - Florida
    • Maurice Hurst - DT - Michigan
    • Da’Ron Payne - DT - Alabama
    • Harold Landry - EDGE - Boston College
    • Marcus Davenport - EDGE - UTSA
    • Leighton Vander Esch - LB - Boise State
    • Rashaan Evans - LB - Alabama
    • Jaire Alexander - CB - Louisville
    • Josh Jackson - CB - Iowa
    • Mike Hughes - CB - Central Florida
    • Other (Please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/19/2018 at 02:31 AM

59 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Obviously the ultimate vindication for the Davenport fans will be if the Packers select him with both he and Landry available. The argument will live on if either/both are gone.

Should both be there and they go another direction:

tumblr_n0yjjqHYIE1rgqdnvo3_400.gif

just so the battle can rage on.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

I was going to say take Davenport over Landry (my tiebreaker: take the small school kid who gets up that high because he had to work harder to get noticed), but looking at the corner situation for the Packers, they have next to nothing. Joshua Jackson.

There are some differences of opinion, but the prevailing sentiment seems to be that, save Ward or Edmunds or Smith being available, we will take Landry or Davenport and look to a deeper CB class by using our 11 remaining picks after #14 to trade up at some point for the corner. Joshua Jackson is not a big favorite here; I think we have convinced ourselves that he is not a great fit for us, though he will probably be very good for someone else.

If we go cornerback at #14 I think it would be much more likely to be Alexander, Hughes or Oliver than Jackson. JMO

I'm rooting for Edge at #14 and CB in the 30s with a trade up.

Just now, blueswedeshoes said:

There are some differences of opinion, but the prevailing sentiment seems to be that, save Ward or Edmunds or Smith being available, we will take Landry or Davenport and look to a deeper CB class by using our 11 remaining picks after #14 to trade up at some point for the corner. Joshua Jackson is not a big favorite here; I think we have convinced ourselves that he is not a great fit for us, though he will probably be very good for someone else.

If we go cornerback at #14 I think it would be much more likely to be Alexander, Hughes or Oliver than Jackson. JMO

I'm rooting for Edge at #14 and CB in the 30s with a trade up.

Fair enough. I'm just a guy outside looking in.

On targeting an edge rusher: is the idea that the Packers need to get someone in line behind Matthews and Perry? Or have one (or both?) fallen apart (or are in the process of falling apart)?
On non Jackson: why wouldn't he fit exactly?

This is me honestly asking.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Fair enough. I'm just a guy outside looking in.

On targeting an edge rusher: is the idea that the Packers need to get someone in line behind Matthews and Perry? Or have one (or both?) fallen apart (or are in the process of falling apart)?
On non Jackson: why wouldn't he fit exactly?

This is me honestly asking.

The depth behind Matthews and Perry is either suspect or unproven. Matthews has been dinged for stretches more seasons than not, and we like the idea of getting a quality rusher from the edge that would allow Matthews to move inside on passing downs and create matchup issues there. The fans who want Davenport feel that he is stronger and will have a better presence against the run and may be able to be on the field more down the road.

The beef with Jackson, as I understand it, is that his college game didn't show the press coverage that the Packers like to utilize. Our new DC, Mike Pettine, will probably have a great deal to say in terms of setting the Packers' board for the right kind of corner for his scheme.

21 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

The depth behind Matthews and Perry is either suspect or unproven. Matthews has been dinged for stretches more seasons than not, and we like the idea of getting a quality rusher from the edge that would allow Matthews to move inside on passing downs and create matchup issues there. The fans who want Davenport feel that he is stronger and will have a better presence against the run and may be able to be on the field more down the road.

The beef with Jackson, as I understand it, is that his college game didn't show the press coverage that the Packers like to utilize. Our new DC, Mike Pettine, will probably have a great deal to say in terms of setting the Packers' board for the right kind of corner for his scheme.

Okay, thanks for the insight.

Given the way the board has shaken, it seems that the pick comes down to Marcus Davenport [EDGE; UTSA] or Harold Landry [EDGE; Boston College].  CB is clearly the bigger need as neither Davon House or Tramon Williams are nothing more than stopgaps at this point in their careers, but short of Denzel Ward being available the Packers probably aren't going to have a corner available that is of value.  At this point, it's probably a matter of preference.  Landry is more in the mold of Clay Matthews as a quick, twitchy pass rusher where as Marcus Davenport is more of a thumper.

Archived