Mock offseason ( less than 2 weeks till draft! )

SimbaWho

55 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

What do you think should happen if they are a 6-10 team next year?

Sell the team, fire everyone and apply for an expansion franchise.?

I’m in your court about next season. I’m not at all confident but Matt Patricia gives me hope.

I have no problem trading the first round pick for a player and a future number 1.

I also don’t have a problem with double dipping on the oline. In fact I don’t care what capital they have to spend to fix the running game. It’s been a problem for years and it’s time to fix it.

My only issue is Dez. I understand your plan and don’t disagree I’d just rather the money be spent elsewhere.

Frankly, I’m totally frustrated. I’m trying to give Quinn time but it’s hard. 

6 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Sell the team, fire everyone and apply for an expansion franchise.?

I’m in your court about next season. I’m not at all confident but Matt Patricia gives me hope.

I have no problem trading the first round pick for a player and a future number 1.

I also don’t have a problem with double dipping on the oline. In fact I don’t care what capital they have to spend to fix the running game. It’s been a problem for years and it’s time to fix it.

My only issue is Dez. I understand your plan and don’t disagree I’d just rather the money be spent elsewhere.

Frankly, I’m totally frustrated. I’m trying to give Quinn time but it’s hard. 

What is it that makes you feel so down about the state of our team right now? Serious question.

The way I see it.. The main reason we have not won more since Quin has arrived, is because of coaching. While I respect who Caldwell is as a man, he is really not that great a coach. Of course this is just my opinion, but that is how I feel. The only proof I have is what I have watched every week.

I feel this off season has given us the ability to remain flexible in the draft. We have adequate starters (pretty much) at all spots, and of course have some top 10 players sprinkled across the roster. All of this and we have improved at the key spot needed for Patricia's defense (LBer). 

At this point, I am excited about the draft because almost all options are on the table.

I overall like the direction Quinn has taken, and am not concerned that we didnt sign more expensive free agents.

Thoughts?

6 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

What is it that makes you feel so down about the state of our team right now? Serious question.

The way I see it.. The main reason we have not won more since Quin has arrived, is because of coaching. While I respect who Caldwell is as a man, he is really not that great a coach. Of course this is just my opinion, but that is how I feel. The only proof I have is what I have watched every week.

I feel this off season has given us the ability to remain flexible in the draft. We have adequate starters (pretty much) at all spots, and of course have some top 10 players sprinkled across the roster. All of this and we have improved at the key spot needed for Patricia's defense (LBer). 

At this point, I am excited about the draft because almost all options are on the table.

I overall like the direction Quinn has taken, and am not concerned that we didnt sign more expensive free agents.

Thoughts?

It’s a function of time.

Ive been a Lions fan for a very long time. I’ve become cynical because I’ve seen this before, so many times. With each new GM comes the offer of new beginnings but the team always ends up in the same place. As an older person I’m running out of time to see if the Lions will ever be a very good team. I doubt I will be alive if and when the Lions win a SB. My hope is to see them win a playoff game.

Im very interested in what Patricia can do with the Lions. Quinn and Patricia publicly have stated a philosophy that’s very similar to mine. I’ve always believed you build a team inside, outside, front to back while Patricia builds from the ball out. We will see if they stay true to the philosophy.

Im not upset by free agency. I’ve never been a believer in adding big names via free agency. My view is that free agency creates far more cap issues than solutions. Free agency can complete a team but it can’t build a team. So I’m fine with what they did. 

The draft is a positive. It provides hope, but has done so every year. Will they be true to philosophy? I’m not convinced they will. I could see them drafting a RB, TE and WR. 

The Lions are ALWAYS one draft away, one player away, a better coach away but talk is cheap and the franchise has never walked the walk. 

So, I’m old, I’m cynical, I’m tired of the yearly hype that will follow the draft. 

I also want to believe, which usually just results in shaking my head as we leave FORD field following elimination from playoff contention. It makes for a very long drive home.

This year, all my hopes are on the draft. I hope they can move back, pick up a second round pick and draft a road grading guard, a penetrating DT, a LB that can be versatile and a RB that can hold the ball, fall forward, and hit a hole without filming a dancing with the stars episode in the backfield. My God this team can’t run a football. I’m hoping Blount is part of a solution not just an attempt by Quinn to appear to mend the problem. 

Clear as mud, right? ?

We are all the culmination of our life experiences and after 55 years of cheering for the Lions I expect a poor to moderate team. They haven’t demonstrated an ability to be anything but. 

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

It’s a function of time.

Ive been a Lions fan for a very long time. I’ve become cynical because I’ve seen this before, so many times. With each new GM comes the offer of new beginnings but the team always ends up in the same place. As an older person I’m running out of time to see if the Lions will ever be a very good team. I doubt I will be alive if and when the Lions win a SB. My hope is to see them win a playoff game.

Im very interested in what Patricia can do with the Lions. Quinn and Patricia publicly have stated a philosophy that’s very similar to mine. I’ve always believed you build a team inside, outside, front to back while Patricia builds from the ball out. We will see if they stay true to the philosophy.

Im not upset by free agency. I’ve never been a believer in adding big names via free agency. My view is that free agency creates far more cap issues than solutions. Free agency can complete a team but it can’t build a team. So I’m fine with what they did. 

The draft is a positive. It provides hope, but has done so every year. Will they be true to philosophy? I’m not convinced they will. I could see them drafting a RB, TE and WR. 

The Lions are ALWAYS one draft away, one player away, a better coach away but talk is cheap and the franchise has never walked the walk. 

So, I’m old, I’m cynical, I’m tired of the yearly hype that will follow the draft. 

I also want to believe, which usually just results in shaking my head as we leave FORD field following elimination from playoff contention. It makes for a very long drive home.

This year, all my hopes are on the draft. I hope they can move back, pick up a second round pick and draft a road grading guard, a penetrating DT, a LB that can be versatile and a RB that can hold the ball, fall forward, and hit a hole without filming a dancing with the stars episode in the backfield. My God this team can’t run a football. I’m hoping Blount is part of a solution not just an attempt by Quinn to appear to mend the problem. 

Clear as mud, right? ?

We are all the culmination of our life experiences and after 55 years of cheering for the Lions I expect a poor to moderate team. They haven’t demonstrated an ability to be anything but. 

This is the level of bitterness that I have to look forward to as a Lions fan. My wife is going to have a lot to look forward to over the years lol

I totally get it after being a fan for the last 12 years. There have been years with a lot of hope and promise only to have it all come crashing down. We've also had years where we've exceeded my very low expectations.

My only reason for real hope is that we now have a highly sought after coach who has a long track record with our GM. Both come from an organization with a history of success. They come from a school of similar thought and should be able to work together much closer than other coach/GM relationships. I don't know when other teams brought on a NE coach if the GM also was from the Patriots background. If so, hopefully we can be the exception to the rule. If not, then maybe this is the missing piece to make that work.

3 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

It’s a function of time.

Clear as mud, right? ?

I can completely understand where you are coming from. I have been a fan for 20 years now.. Not quite the 55, but entirely long enough to take a cynical approach and not be faulted for it.

However, I believe in the law of attraction, and for that reason alone, must stay positive even though the past dictates otherwise.

Archived