Patriots Draft Focus: Offensive Tackle

dhunt2402

Each day between now and the draft I'll be doing a quick rundown of the Patriots positions of greatest need with an early round target, player(s) to avoid, and some sleepers. We'll begin with:

Offensive Tackle

I think OT is the spot that many have pegged for one of our first round picks. The loss of Nate Solder (and to a lesser extent Cameron Fleming) stretches our current crop of tackles pretty thin. Obviously it's tough to know what the coaching staff views each player as, I think Marcus Cannon is pretty firmly entrenched at RT, but there's much still to find out on how they view La'Adrian Waddle (backup swing tackle or potential starting LT?) and what they expect of Antonio Garcia after essentially a lost year of development. That said, looking at the draft, I would submit the following:
-- 

Early target: None

I really don't see it with the so-called top tier of tackle prospects. You have the obvious flaws, too raw (Brian O'Neill), too short (Isaiah Wynn, though if they take him with an eye toward moving him to guard that I could get behind), T-Rex arms (Connor Williams). And then you get to the guys like Mike McGlinchey and Kolton Miller who I just don't see as sure things, they're really tall (which I'd argue is more of a negative than a positive when trying to combat leverage, but obviously can be overcome) and while they both showed out at the Combine, they don't look quite as athletic on tape. Obviously with Scar in the fold I wouldn't bet against turning either into quality starters, but I don't think either has sky high potential and I just don't see the value in taking players that are such projections with the most valuable draft capital we have.

Player(s) to avoid: Orlando Brown, Oklahoma

Yeah. Horrific combine aside, this just isn't a guy that I think will be able to hack it at left tackle against the best pass rushers in the world. His pedigree is mostly based on how massive he is, not necessarily that he's a road grading beast on the field, and that is something edge rushers are all too capable of exploiting at the next level. Hard pass.

Late round sleeper: Brandon Parker, North Carolina A&T

I think the value at the tackle position is much further down the draft than most seem to, in large part because I don't see a surefire Day 1 starter anywhere in this draft and that's about the only thing that could impact our 2018 season, almost anyone else would have to work their way up and beat out Garcia and Waddle to earn a spot. Brandon Parker is another tall guy but has the long arms to help offset the leverage disadvantage. Had a great week at the Senior Bowl against better competition than he'd seen in his life, definitely a guy I'd take a flier on to see if he can rise up and win the job against the rest of the competition.

10 minutes ago, dhunt2402 said:

Player(s) to avoid: Orlando Brown, Oklahoma

I like Brown as a RT prospect. He isnt gifted athletically, but the guy has a very good motor and understands the game. His biggest issues are extremely coachable IE leg bends, hand placement, form in and out of stance, etc. 

I don't think Connor Williams has T-rex arms. Sure, 33" is just at the cutoff value (for me, at least), but not Robert Gallery bad.

18 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Anybody think Marcus Cannon could cut it as a guard?

Why would you move your elite RT to a position he never played before?

5 hours ago, LD696 said:

I don't think Connor Williams has T-rex arms. Sure, 33" is just at the cutoff value (for me, at least), but not Robert Gallery bad.

He played LG and was bad at it.  I remember because I like many thought he was going to move inside and he wasn't cut out for it.

Though I don't really like evaluating OL because imo its least interesting to watch but O'Neill's athleticism in 2nd is interesting as well as Desmond Howard and Greg Senat as a late rounders.

Edit Desmond Harrison

2 hours ago, LD696 said:

That is not answering the question and besides the point. How do you think Cannon would do at RG?

49 minutes ago, Donut said:

He played LG and was bad at it.  I remember because I like many thought he was going to move inside and he wasn't cut out for it.

Though I don't really like evaluating OL because imo its least interesting to watch but O'Neill's athleticism in 2nd is interesting as well as Desmond Howard and Greg Senat as a late rounders.

I remember Cannon struggled at a couple of positions before Scarrnechia unretired and then all of a sudden Cannon could pass protect and hold his own.

I like Williams but I wouldn't take him at 23. Maybe 31 if it's BPA too. I really don't like Miller for us. He's a project but has great athleticism - we already have an athletic "project" OT in Tony Garcia. If we take an OT early it will be a guy who can contribute early. Good assessment I guess.

I think NE has bigger holes to fill and I believe in Tony Garcia (and, more importantly, Dante Scarrnechia).

Archived