MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

4 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Hope we see JDS vs Ngannou now. Seems right, they were meant to fight back in the day, and both guys are pretty much a win away from a title shot. Perfect title eliminator. Put it on the same card when DC defends next (against Lesnar/Stipe)

That would be a great fight. I want 1 more out of Ngannou to get that bad memory of the Lewis fight out of my head

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

lol wut

MMA judges are just as bad as boxing judges.

I take it this is because of the Rothwell fight? I agreed, I thought he won that fight. There have been worse decisions but he landed the same strikes in 2 rounds, clearly won the 3rd and was advancing the whole time. Its kind of a weird thing, but if it is supposed to be scored as such, then how did he lose?

I didn't think there was much wrong with the Rothwell-Ivanov decision. Wouldn't have had a problem if Rothwell won either. Ivanov did a great job fighting moving backwards, continually circling out. Octagon control is the last thing you take into account in the decision, so it doesn't mean much that he's moving back if he's still landing shots.

14 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Prepare? Conor punched himself gasses as if he didn’t already know Diaz has a chin? Still a dumb move

Diaz and RDA are nothing alike and Conor had like 10 days to prepare for a different opponent and fight 15 pounds heavier than he planned. The main reason he gassed so bad was that he was dealing with a gnarly staph infection and was on antibiotics. You don't think it's a weird circumstance to fight a much different style of fighter, on 10 days notice, at a higher weight? How often does something like that happen in the UFC?

32 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Diaz and RDA are nothing alike and Conor had like 10 days to prepare for a different opponent and fight 15 pounds heavier than he planned. The main reason he gassed so bad was that he was dealing with a gnarly staph infection and was on antibiotics. You don't think it's a weird circumstance to fight a much different style of fighter, on 10 days notice, at a higher weight? How often does something like that happen in the UFC?

It doesnt happen often but also you cant tell me he wasn't throwing haymakers one after the other looking for an early KO. And if he had a gnarly staph infection then that was horribly planning on his part to begin with. He didn't conserve his energy well at all

2 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

I didn't think there was much wrong with the Rothwell-Ivanov decision. Wouldn't have had a problem if Rothwell won either. Ivanov did a great job fighting moving backwards, continually circling out. Octagon control is the last thing you take into account in the decision, so it doesn't mean much that he's moving back if he's still landing shots.

I agree it shouldn't play a major factor but they did have comparable strikes in round 1 and 2 and Rothwell took the 3rd. If the control thing is a factor in the scoring as they claim it is, I was just surprised they didn't give it to Rothwell considering 2 rounds were very close and 1 clearly went to Rothwell

15 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Dont you think that goes the same way as DC v Lewis or Stipe vs Ngannou?

Also why is the short thing such a big deal? DC is always shorter than his opponents 

I didnt realize derrick was almost as tall as francis. Hes just so big i feel like hes taller. 

Dc is always shorter but i like seeing as big of a size difference as i can. Seeing dc rag doll francis would be a cool fight. 

2 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

I didnt realize derrick was almost as tall as francis. Hes just so big i feel like hes taller. 

Dc is always shorter but i like seeing as big of a size difference as i can. Seeing dc rag doll francis would be a cool fight. 

What about Struve vs DC lol

I know it looked like Stefan was hanging it up and he doesnt deserve DC at all but I take it that fight would interest you a little bit? Or at the very least the weigh ins/photos

13 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

What about Struve vs DC lol

I know it looked like Stefan was hanging it up and he doesnt deserve DC at all but I take it that fight would interest you a little bit? Or at the very least the weigh ins/photos

Eh. Struve is a bean pole and has gotten beaten up by smaller opponents. Im not looking for absolute freak shows but dc being short and chubby vs greek god is interesting to me.

51 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

It doesnt happen often but also you cant tell me he wasn't throwing haymakers one after the other looking for an early KO. And if he had a gnarly staph infection then that was horribly planning on his part to begin with. He didn't conserve his energy well at all

My point still stands though, he's 9-2 in the UFC and his only two losses were terrible matchups with weird circumstances leading up to the fight. I think he knew that his cardio wasn't going to hold up due to the antibiotics/staph and tried to finish it early so he could win. Diaz isn't a great fighter by any means, but he was a terrible matchup for McGregor on short notice with the circumstances being what they were.