MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

I mean, Anderson Silva, Derek Brunson, Brad Tavares and Melvin Guillard are the top 4 opponents for Adesanya. Meanwhile, here's Gastelum's resume. His wins are...

Jacare Souza
Michael Bisping
Vitor Belfort (NC because of marijuana but it was a KO for Kelvin nonetheless)
Tim Kennedy
Johnny Hendricks
Nate Marquardt
Jake Ellenberger
Rick Story
Uriah Hall

His losses are to Chris Weidman, Neil Magny and Tyron Woodley. Nothing to sneeze at. 

That's one hell of a resume for a 27 year old. There's zero reason for Adesanya to be favored. None.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Gastelum over Izzy

or

Poirier over Max

Which would be the bigger upset and do you predict either to happen?

I'd say Poirier and Max, considering how much of a tear Max has been on for the longest time. However I don't see any of them as huge favorites, and none of the results would be a massive surprise for me.

4 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

I'd say Poirier and Max, considering how much of a tear Max has been on for the longest time. However I don't see any of them as huge favorites, and none of the results would be a massive surprise for me.

Yea i think they are both hovering around -200 so not massive upsets but i do think in general Max and Izzy are considered the favorites and seeing then lose after the run they’ve been on is unexpected. Gotta try and avoid the results until Sunday morning after i watch. 

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I mean, Anderson Silva, Derek Brunson, Brad Tavares and Melvin Guillard are the top 4 opponents for Adesanya. Meanwhile, here's Gastelum's resume. His wins are...

Jacare Souza
Michael Bisping
Vitor Belfort (NC because of marijuana but it was a KO for Kelvin nonetheless)
Tim Kennedy
Johnny Hendricks
Nate Marquardt
Jake Ellenberger
Rick Story
Uriah Hall

His losses are to Chris Weidman, Neil Magny and Tyron Woodley. Nothing to sneeze at. 

That's one hell of a resume for a 27 year old. There's zero reason for Adesanya to be favored. None.

I never considered looking at that but its definitely intriguing considering LIS Izzy seems to be considered the favorite and part of that just might be his charisma. Kelvin has played the underdog in so many of those wins too. His boxing is so good. I look forward to a standup war in both fights

11 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

More chance GSP fights at 155 than 185. Think he took the 185 fight as a challenge, but it ended up giving him stomach problems from the process of putting on weight, so no chance he fights there again (if he fights again).

I didnt realize i had that backwards about 170 v 185 but i cant imagine he can make 155 safely. I feel like a catchweight bought at 160/165 is the closest we can hope for

11 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

I definitely see him fighting at heavyweight at some point. If he keeps beating everyone at LHW, that's the only test left for him.

It sounds crazy to talk about him fighting at 185, but tbh he has a similar frame to Israel Adesanya, who makes 185 with seemingly no issue. So maybe. I'd still bet on him going up rather than down though.

On a similar note, I was re-watching the Weidman-Jacare fight last night, and I really wish Jacare would move up to 205. There's a much easier path to the title there, and I feel like he has maybe the best chance out of anyone at 185 or 205 to beat Jon.

They have similar frames but I definitely feel like Izzy is alot slimmer. Heck wasnt he weight in at like 180 for his first few UFC fights?

i think a few years ago Jacare would have been the biggest threat to Jones but now his chin seems suspect. Jacare does have a strong BJJ background to counteract the GnP Bones might bring but i think he would finish him inside of 3 rounds 

12 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea i think they are both hovering around -200 so not massive upsets but i do think in general Max and Izzy are considered the favorites and seeing then lose after the run they’ve been on is unexpected. Gotta try and avoid the results until Sunday morning after i watch. 

I'm obviously a huge fan of Izzy and will be rooting for him, but I don't think it will be unexpected at all if he loses. Burger King is sleeping on him for sure, but he does have a point that Kelvin has fought (and beaten) a lot of high-quality competition. I'm inclined to agree that Kelvin should be the favorite, if slightly.

12 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

They have similar frames but I definitely feel like Izzy is alot slimmer. Heck wasnt he weight in at like 180 for his first few UFC fights?

i think a few years ago Jacare would have been the biggest threat to Jones but now his chin seems suspect. Jacare does have a strong BJJ background to counteract the GnP Bones might bring but i think he would finish him inside of 3 rounds 

I dunno about that, I don't see anything in his losses that shows he has a suspect chin. He got beaten by speed against Whittaker and Gastelum, not by his chin not holding up. And against Weidman he took a fair few shots and was still able to get it done in the third.

plus Jones is not really the one-punch KO kind of guy. Also a couple of his best weapons (kicks and clinch) are two areas he probably wants to stay away from against Jacare, out of risk of getting taken down.

1 hour ago, Buckrock101 said:

I'm obviously a huge fan of Izzy and will be rooting for him, but I don't think it will be unexpected at all if he loses. Burger King is sleeping on him for sure, but he does have a point that Kelvin has fought (and beaten) a lot of high-quality competition. I'm inclined to agree that Kelvin should be the favorite, if slightly.

Kelvin should be a massive favorite tbh. Adesanya is just getting that undefeated bump. Gastelum walks through him tbh. 

2 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

I dunno about that, I don't see anything in his losses that shows he has a suspect chin. He got beaten by speed against Whittaker and Gastelum, not by his chin not holding up. And against Weidman he took a fair few shots and was still able to get it done in the third.

plus Jones is not really the one-punch KO kind of guy. Also a couple of his best weapons (kicks and clinch) are two areas he probably wants to stay away from against Jacare, out of risk of getting taken down.

If he was worried about being taken down by DC i cant imagine Jacare scares him there