Draft Day Thread: 1st Round Discussion

Dome

The #Saints have made plenty of calls about making a big leap up from pick No. 27, I’m told. Could be due diligence in case a certain player (perhaps a QB) falls. But they will be well-prepared to move tonight if it comes down to it.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 26, 2018

12 minutes ago, SSK said:

The #Saints have made plenty of calls about making a big leap up from pick No. 27, I’m told. Could be due diligence in case a certain player (perhaps a QB) falls. But they will be well-prepared to move tonight if it comes down to it.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 26, 2018

The latest NFL.com mock had us jumping up to #8 overall to grab Baker Mayfield.

:S>:(

2 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

The latest NFL.com mock had us jumping up to #8 overall to grab Baker Mayfield.

:S>:(

Brees may be able to help the kid grow up a little bit. I like him as a QB prospect so I wouldn't hate the trade. 

2 minutes ago, SSK said:

Brees may be able to help the kid grow up a little bit. I like him as a QB prospect so I wouldn't hate the trade. 

He’s my least favorite of the 1st round QBs

He and Jackson are the only 2 we have even a semi realistic chance of trading up for 

4 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

He’s my least favorite of the 1st round QBs

He and Jackson are the only 2 we have even a semi realistic chance of trading up for 

If all the "expert" chatter is correct, Mayfield may be Cleveland's #1 pick. lol 

I don't know much about most of these first round players, so I can't say who I would want us to draft. But I do know that I don't like this QB class and I wouldn't agree at all with trading up to draft one.

16 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Watch us draft Allen because he fell due to his previous tweets.

Omg if his draft stock falls because of tweets he made as a HSer.... What a shame that would be. 

3 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

I reckon tonight we're either going TE or DL tonight and playing it safe, or going out with a bang and trading up for a QB. I don't see us taking any other positions. For us I reckon it's either 'add the extra piece to contend' or 'secure the future via the most important position'.

I reckon we'll keep an eye on Lamar Jackson tonight. If he gets to around say pick 13-14, I wouldn't be shocked to see us trade up and grab him. He has issues, yes, but I wouldn't put it past Payton to think he can fix him (and a lot of his issues are fixable).

This is what I am most eager to find out. Can Payton say to Brees, "Look man, I have to secure the Saints' future"? Or is he more concerned with winning now anf keeping Brees happy?

Oh and be careful with all of that reckoning xD

4 minutes ago, BossierWhoDat said:

This is what I am most eager to find out. Can Payton say to Brees, "Look man, I have to secure the Saints' future"? Or is he more concerned with winning now anf keeping Brees happy?

Oh and be careful with all of that reckoning xD

I still think it would be for Lamar... I think Payton is smitten with the possibilities of him in his system.

However, here is something to keep an eye on... Sean Payton has consistantly spoken about our need for a pressure player, in particularly an edge rusher. Bradley Chubb is a STUD and fits EVERYTHING the Saints look for in a prospect. Elite pass rushers are so hard to get that they are almost worth making big trades for. Our D-Line coach Ryan Nealson recruited, developed and coached Chubb at NC State. The bottom line, of all the prospects in this class... Chubb is the ideal fit.

He could very well be the guy the Saints are trying to maneuver for.

19 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I still think it would be for Lamar... I think Payton is smitten with the possibilities of him in his system.

However, here is something to keep an eye on... Sean Payton has consistantly spoken about our need for a pressure player, in particularly an edge rusher. Bradley Chubb is a STUD and fits EVERYTHING the Saints look for in a prospect. Elite pass rushers are so hard to get that they are almost worth making big trades for. Our D-Line coach Ryan Nealson recruited, developed and coached Chubb at NC State. The bottom line, of all the prospects in this class... Chubb is the ideal fit.

He could very well be the guy the Saints are trying to maneuver for.

Still think it will be for Lamar. I also think they'll target Washington at the 13th pick. Not sure we have enough ammo to move up into the top 10, and I doubt we trade multiple 1sts for a non-QB. For Washington, they haven't hid their love for Guice, so trading down and getting a 3rd this year (which they don't have) and an additional 1st next year makes it more palatable for taking him with the last 1st rather than in the top half of the 1st round.

Archived