Official NFL Draft Thread (General Discussion for Draft)

steelcurtain29

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think I’m going to take the classic @FourThreeMafia Stance on this. I’m going to hate it til he proves me wrong. 

i love this option:D

Generally ,I am a wait 3 year person.  The 1st round choices I hated immediately were  Jarvis Jones and  Troy Edwards.  Even with those two I gave them the benefit of the doubt.  I was just quicker to denounce.

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

i love this option:D

Generally ,I am a wait 3 year person.  The 1st round choices I hated immediately were  Jarvis Jones and  Troy Edwards.  Even with those two I gave them the benefit of the doubt.  I was just quicker to denounce.

Yea....It's not so much the player.  If we picked him in the 2nd or 3rd I would really like it.  My issue is as a 1st round pick, taking a sub-package guy is troubling.  Especially one at a position you have just invested in heavily the last 3 years.  I'm ok with a rotational guy (Landry), rotational/future at the position (Guice/Chubb), or upgrade and the future of the position (Godert/Gesicki).  But a planned sub-package guy who may or may not displace a recent big investment at the same position.....yuck do that later.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

And this is why I don't like it that much.  Either you are saying Edmunds isn't ready and this was a reach, or your 2nd round pick 2 years ago was a piss poor pick.

Or they want more talent in the secondary and are preparing for the very real possibility that Davis is a bust. 

11 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

with RB? Lets take one.....wait for it....next year! QB, same thing. The front office will know better than we will. What if Ben has told them he is truly committed to 2-3 years? What if they didnt like any of the QBs at this point? Without even considering searching for RB or QB prospects of 2019, I bet rolling into next year -- we are going to have more prospects come up....So we are not completely missing out on the position. You are worried about value in terms of who we took -- do you really think the value of a 1st round QB or RB would have been high?

I know I'm picking on one point here, but this is the type of thinking that can set a franchise back.  I feel like we did the same thing with RB in the time between Park to Mendenhall then Mendenhall to Bell.  "Oh we don't need to take the good guy now, there will be someone there next year."  If you think that Jackson has a chance at being a franchise QB, you can't sit there and say "Oh what if Ben plays 2 more years....guess we'll wait".  Oh wait, it's 5 years down the line and we're struggling to find a RB and a QB and guys we could have taken this year are studs?  Well I'm glad we waited another year because they were set for 2018!

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Or they want more talent in the secondary and are preparing for the very real possibility that Davis is a bust. 

And you couldn't do the same in the 2nd or 3rd?  With Harrison, Reid, Bates, Gaulden, Allen?

Wanna know what some places have with this.....NFL.com has him at 87 and still on their best available list.  And it's updated.

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Usually,  I hate it for the weekend, then support the player and hope they prove me wrong. 

Yup that's what I'm going with.  He better be a starter over Davis by the end of the year.  Then Colbert's gotta face the music about Davis and admit he screwed up.

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

And you couldn't do the same in the 2nd or 3rd?  With Harrison, Reid, Bates, Gaulden, Allen?

Wanna know what some places have with this.....NFL.com has him at 87 and still on their best available list.  And it's updated.

Stop looking at site’s ranking.  There are opinions are the same as ours when it comes to the Steelers big board, useless.  If you get a player who can contribute from day 1, then it’s a win in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

There's been confirmation the Darrius Guice made up the story about what he was asked at the draft, and some are speculating that it's fueling the character concerns that can lead to a big drop.

What the what?  I’d love to see that article because I’m confused as to why he’d do something at that level of stupidity.

Just now, Armsteeld2 said:

Stop looking at site’s ranking.  There are opinions are the same as ours when it comes to the Steelers big board, useless.  If you get a player who can contribute from day 1, then it’s a win in my opinion.

So what level do you think he'll contribute though?  I don't think that he'll contribute to the level that round 1 was worth it.  Like I said, quite a few years in a row now that the round 1 pick was a reach.

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

There's been confirmation the Darrius Guice made up the story about what he was asked at the draft, and some are speculating that it's fueling the character concerns that can lead to a big drop.

I don't know how I'd feel about drafting him with that knowledge.  The last thing we need is more drama.

Just now, Armsteeld2 said:

What the what?  I’d love to see that article because I’m confused as to why he’d do something at that level of stupidity.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23317926/nfl-investigation-says-no-evidence-lsu-tigers-rb-derrius-guice-was-asked-invasive-questions-combine?sf187878635=1

Schefter doubled down on it a few minutes ago on First Take.  The story was fabricated and teams have been confirmed to have not asked about it.

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

All of those players have flaws as well. 

For the Steelers,  it obviously came down to preference.   And teams don't care what NFL.com thinks. 

Archived