Jump to content
wackywabbit

2018 Ravens 1st Round Draft Pick (#32) - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Eh, I at least believe Skip knows sports, but chooses to say ridiculous things for the sake of viewership. I legitimately believe Cowherd is just an idiot.

I don't think he does, I just think he looks at a lot of stat sheets. I have (unfortunately) seen him several times call players bad because of low production in years, where they were injured, call out players mistakes when it wasn't their fault etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Danand said:

I don't think he does, I just think he looks at a lot of stat sheets. I have (unfortunately) seen him several times call players bad because of low production in years, where they were injured, call out players mistakes when it wasn't their fault etc.

Yeah, but I think a lot of that is to create a strong emotion between the two cohosts. We saw it with Skip and Stephen A Smith regarding Kobe and now we see it with Shannon and Skip regarding LeBron.

One things for sure though, he loves MJ and has had many a wet dream regarding him. xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love all these people convinced it will be easy to stop Lamar, "We'll just put a spy on him and press up all their receivers". LJ already went up against an elite spy surrounded by NFL talent in Derwin James and did just fine. Who else is of Derwin's caliber? Kuechly, Wagner, maybe Deion Jones, there aren't many out there with the instincts+speed combination to not be victimized by LJ.

Elite running ability and athleticism, + arm strength, + age, + intangibles, he's a confident operator in the pocket, every year has refined and progressed his game, elevated the level of his program and is a proven leader. All of that for the 32nd pick, and we get to give him his first red shirt year? In a league where Bortles, Keenum, and Foles all won playoff games, this franchise just committed robbery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I'm sure the Packers thought stopping Kaepernick with a spy was easy as well. Turns out QB's who run 4.3 tend to be a bit faster than linebackers and safeties who don't. I'm not worried about LJ facing spies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I love all these people convinced it will be easy to stop Lamar, "We'll just put a spy on him and press up all their receivers". LJ already went up against an elite spy surrounded by NFL talent in Derwin James and did just fine. Who else is of Derwin's caliber? Kuechly, Wagner, maybe Deion Jones, there aren't many out there with the instincts+speed combination to not be victimized by LJ.

Elite running ability and athleticism, + arm strength, + age, + intangibles, he's a confident operator in the pocket, every year has refined and progressed his game, elevated the level of his program and is a proven leader. All of that for the 32nd pick, and we get to give him his first red shirt year? In a league where Bortles, Keenum, and Foles all won playoff games, this franchise just committed robbery. 

 

5 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

And I'm sure the Packers thought stopping Kaepernick with a spy was easy as well. Turns out QB's who run 4.3 tend to be a bit faster than linebackers and safeties who don't. I'm not worried about LJ facing spies.

Agreed. And Kaep was only a 4.5 guy. Griffin a 4.4 guy. Jackson is a 4.3 guy. I don’t think these people, like you’ve both said, TRULY understand speed and athleticism. Not only that but Jackson is the most prolific runner of the football for a QB ever. He legit has moves that should make RBs envious. You don’t rush for over 1500 yds twice off 70% being designed runs being just fast. He’s like a rich man’s CJ Spiller with actual quarterback ability. Spy or not, that’s not something you just hop into the phone booth, throw on your cape, and exit ready to stop him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, diamondbull424 said:

You don’t rush for over 1500 yds twice off 70% being designed runs being just fast.

Notice how no one mentioned designed runs during the draft build up? It was all scramble this scramble that, lazy mofos not even being fair to the player and actually looking at what he did. The same people who said he played out of a gimmick offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Jackson is a 4.3 guy.

4.3, with moves. :D. LJ's control and change of direction at those speeds make him a nightmare. I don't think any other QB will match Vick's VT top end speed, he just had an other worldly 3rd gear, but every other aspect is surpassed by Lamar. As we see him get bigger and mature, don't count out a significant increase in that sneaky power he carries as a runner too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

4.3, with moves. :D. LJ's control and change of direction at those speeds make him a nightmare. I don't think any other QB will match Vick's VT top end speed, he just had an other worldly 3rd gear, but every other aspect is surpassed by Lamar. As we see him get bigger and mature, don't count out a significant increase in that sneaky power he carries as a runner too. 

He’s got power, but that’s the one thing I don’t want him to use (per se). Perhaps on short yardage goal line type runs in a Cam Newton/Big Ben type of way.

But as long as he continues to run towards the sideline, the right sideline especially, so if he does lean forward he can protect his right shoulder from getting hit that’s all I ask of them using him as a runner. But yeah, Vick had low 4.3 speed and that’s something else. But Jackson is a much more sturdier version of what Vick brought to the table.

I’m a Flacco supporter and I’m hoping Jackson gets at least two years to develop behind a pro, like Phillip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers, and can hit the ground running. He’ll be a serious passing problem by the time he hits the field and he will truly be unstoppable at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Perhaps on short yardage goal line type runs in a Cam Newton/Big Ben type of way.

Given hes not their size, I wouldn't want Lamar to be doing this either.

Cam Newton can be somewhat reckless in how he runs in those short yardage situations, but he can (somewhat) afford to do that because he's as big, if not bigger than the LBs and Ss he's trying to truck.  Lamar isn't, so shouldn't for the sake of his body

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, drd23 said:

Given hes not their size, I wouldn't want Lamar to be doing this either.

Cam Newton can be somewhat reckless in how he runs in those short yardage situations, but he can (somewhat) afford to do that because he's as big, if not bigger than the LBs and Ss he's trying to truck.  Lamar isn't, so shouldn't for the sake of his body

Yeah, it wouldn’t be ideal obviously. I only met that if he’s on the bench for a couple seasons and bulks up, I might be more willing to see him lower his left shoulder in those situations for a touchdown. Less likelihood of injury when players haven’t gotten to build up their full speed yet. Would certainly not want to see him lowering his shoulder against a Derwin James in the open field, I know Jackson has proven to be durable in his college career. But any hit can go the wrong way for sure. So overall I definitely agree. I’d much rather him win with speed and finesse than his power. It’s just crazy that if he wanted to, he could win with either. This guy is truly talented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m a Flacco supporter and I’m hoping Jackson gets at least two years to develop behind a pro, like Phillip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers, and can hit the ground running. He’ll be a serious passing problem by the time he hits the field and he will truly be unstoppable at that point.

Completely agree.

I really feel the Jaguars messed up big time not selecting Jackson. Taven Bryan gels perfectly with what they're trying to build and maintain, but LJ8 would've given them such an elite dimension to build upon going forward. Oh well. Now we get to build upon it :ph34r:, and I can't wait to pay them back for London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RGIII was excellent running the football and what he could do as a passer was enough to make him a dangerous threat. Jacksons succes all depends on whether he can mirror what Cam Newton and Russel Wilson does - both quarterbacks have struggled with injuries as of late because they take the hits they take.

Jackson should only run very little if we want a QB who can be good for more than 4-5 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jackson is a vastly different runner than Newton or Wilson though. Griffin too. He's fast/athletic enough to avoid defenders being able to square him up for a bigger hit. Those other guys aren't. Lamar is an elite athlete and not just for the quarterback position. The parameters of his playing style are different from others because he's that much better and more capable of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×