Draft day 3 - discussion thread

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, Pandomonium said:

I Hope I am wrong I just don't feel like this roster will be able to actively compete against the upper echelon teams in the league this year based on what we have done (or not done) in the offseason/draft. 

did we get better?  yeah did we get better to the point where we strike fear in the hearts of our opponents (especially those teams in our division)? I seriously doubt it

The depth is much better. I don't think our top end talent is good enough to compete though. 

1 minute ago, Pandomonium said:

still need a big WR

still need an EDGE guy

Still need a thumper/closer  at RB

I think the big WR is a no go. The problem with these big guys is that they don't create separation, something Shanny covets. Usually if you're big and can create separation, youre in the first round, potentially top 10 mix. 

Edge is pretty barren at this point. I like Aruna from a measurement standpoint, but that's a long term play probably 2 years out from yielding any fruit if you get anything at all. 

RB would be interesting. I'll pound the ttable a little for Scarborough in that role, but seems unlikely if he can't contribute on special teams. If we did draft him, he has to beat out McNichols / Williams / Breida for a spot if he can't play special teams. If he did play ST, he may be able to take Mostert's role, but that's a big ask for a guy who I'm pretty sure never played ST at Bama. 

this is how we will lose games this season:

scenario 1: its 4th qtr, we're up by 4 pts, and we have the ball but we can close the game out and eat the clock because we don't have a thumper/closer RB. We're forced to punt and because we don't have a viable pass rush, the opposing QB (who has time to make a sandwich in the pocket)  carves us up en route to a game winning TD.

Scenario 2: its late in the game and we need a last drive from jimmy who gets us down to the 3 yard line, but because we don't have a thumper back to push into the endzone nor do we have a big red zone WR to catch that 50/50 ball we turnover on downs and lose.

thank the offseason/draft for this

1 minute ago, Uncle_Rico said:

Agree with the Edge guy but Shanahan doesn’t value the other 2 so don’t get your hopes up.

At this point, though, in a barren Edge class to start with, what does drafting one do for us just to draft one? I'd more BPA now. At this point, we have committed to Sneezy, Thomas, Harold, Marsh, and Pita as all getting chances on the edge. 

Just now, Forge said:

At this point, though, in a barren Edge class to start with, what does drafting one do for us just to draft one? I'd more BPA now. At this point, we have committed to Sneezy, Thomas, Harold, Marsh, and Pita as all getting chances on the edge. 

Agreed. Just saying we need one not that there are any good options available. Horrible year for edge rushers

I still like Toth as a "future" pick. If we're taking guys with Achilles and ACL injuries why not a guy with a 2-year military obligation. I also would be really happy if we took a shot at that Arkansas St. I guy posted info on a couple days ago,  All-time FBS sack leader - and has NFL size not little fast guy that just runs around the end.

Archived