49ers select DJ Reed , CB, Kansas St. at #142

y2lamanaki

48 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Absolute playmaker. From Pettis to Warner to Moore to Reed, definitely want to generate more big plays on both sides of the field. 

Also, had no idea he walked on at Fresno State but was told he couldn't help the defense. Smh, had to be DeRuyter. 

Love the kid's confidence. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I've given up trying to figure out how we deploy everyone. I mean, Solomon Thomas will be playing some LEO this year...who knows what in the world we are doing. 

I think he's only gonna be a 1st down LEO, and the big end on passing downs. At least, if they're sane. I generally try to stay away from criticizing a coaching staff that clearly knows more than I do, but I'm comfortable saying that Solomon belongs nowhere around the LEO spot on passing downs. He's not an EDGE by any stretch of the imagination.

Just now, Ronnie's Pinky said:

I think he's only gonna be a 1st down LEO, and the big end on passing downs. At least, if they're sane. I generally try to stay away from criticizing a coaching staff that clearly knows more than I do, but I'm comfortable saying that Solomon belongs nowhere around the LEO spot on passing downs. He's not an EDGE by any stretch of the imagination.

Agree. And my gut says that when we shift to 4-2-5, he's lined up inside with Buckner...it took Saleh forever to start to do that last year, but I'm hopeful that he realizes the difference in performance between Thomas in and out. There's actually some merit of Thomas at LEO on early down given that he can hold the edge and is defensively responsible against the run. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Agree. And my gut says that when we shift to 4-2-5, he's lined up inside with Buckner...it took Saleh forever to start to do that last year, but I'm hopeful that he realizes the difference in performance between Thomas in and out. There's actually some merit of Thomas at LEO on early down given that he can hold the edge and is defensively responsible against the run. 

Yup. I think, by the end of the season, Saleh had figured out how to use Solomon pretty well, and that this is part of the reason for his late uptick in production.

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

Love the kid's confidence. 

Yep, like this pick a lot. His competitiveness to go along with his play making is going to make it hard for him to fail.

Not quite the athlete Grimes is, but have some similarities. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yep, like this pick a lot. His competitiveness to go along with his play making is going to make it hard for him to fail.

Not quite the athlete Grimes is, but have some similarities. 

Yeah, he's not a super athlete, but he's versatile (largely because of his aggressiveness, he is an excellent run defender for a slot corner), and competes like crazy. Upside is only as a slot corner, imo, but he could be a good one.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yep, all clean high character guys. And we didn't take anyone with red flags off the field. Credit a lot of that to the Reuben Foster situation? 

Naw. Honestly think the draft just fell that way for us. 

Archived