2018 8th Round / UDFA

jch1911

Davin Bellamy, DB, Georgia
Davin Coleman, RB, Washington
Anthony Coyle, OT, Fordham
Trevor Daniel, P, Tennessee
Mason Gentry, DE, SMU
Jaryd Jones-Smith, OL, Pitt has python arms (36.25); a year on PS and he could develop into solid RT
KJ Malone, OT, LSU
Kingsley Opara, DL, Maryland  has great explosion; can he harness it?
Vyncint Smith, WR, Limestone  probably needs a year on PS, but has basic tools / athleticism to be good WR
Terry Swanson, RB, Toledo - looks to have great homerun speed
Jester Weah, WR, Pitt

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 8:52 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

we always have undrafted rookies on our team, so someone will make it to the roster. 

another thing to think about is guys that were rookies last year who will competing with these guys. 

Like Treston Decloud and Kyle Fuller

Fyi - The Texans finally acknowledged what I've been saying since draft day 2017 - Treston Decoud is at best a safety and has no business seeing a second at CB.  I don't know why this one 5th round pick bothers me so much given all the roster obsurdities last year, but to me it was emblematic about just how much Rick Smith was asleep at the wheel (or quite possibly actively driving it off the road).  The dude had no business being drafted at all, better yet in the 5th, as he is lacks an NFL toolbox, his awareness is even slower than his wheels, and he finished out the trifecta with character issues.  We doubled down by having him make the 53 man despite showing nothing particularly encouraging in camp or the pre-season then we kept him on the stinking roster the full 17 weeks despite the fact he wasn't even able to contribute on special teams while we had guys like Marcus Williams, Johnthan Banks, and Marcus Burley stepping in off the street into significant snap counts at CB the next week.  Meanwhile, Gilchrist, Hal, Corey Moore, Eddie Pleasant, and Kurtis Drummond presented a safety corps amongst the worst in the league.

Gilchrist and Pleasant are gone and I suspect Decoud is pretty much just fighting for our token 4th/5th safety/ST role with Drummond, Moore, Ibraheim Campbell, which is not a huge hurdle to leap.  Sadly Gaine made his one WTF pick with "CB" Jermaine Kelly who I thought was just a mistake with an actual draftable S named Kameron Kelly still on the board which confused me even more with San Diego State and San Jose State being indistinguishable in my head. We'll see how if pans out, but personally I'm hoping LB-Kalambayi takes the role of "extra" special teams body over bad safeties. 

Archived