• John Dorsey for life
    • Very good first draft.
    • I hate him
    • Bring Sachi back.
    • hornbybrown could of done better
  2. 2. Draft class

• I like it
    • I don't like it
    • I like it, but we could of done better.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Or the part where that flawed metric tends to favor QB's in Air Raid offenses. Are we also going to completely ignore this?

ok, lets not ignore it.  all metrics are flawed- how much should this one be adjusted by?  how to improve?  maybe the air raid offense is actually good?  

Just now, mistakey said:

ok, lets not ignore it.  all metrics are flawed- how much should this one be adjusted by? 

I'm not sure, it just doesn't exactly scream confidence with such a small sample size that also includes Mason Rudolph and Cody Kessler. It only goes back a handful of years, so I'm naturally going to question it.

Just now, mistakey said:

how to improve?  maybe the air raid offense is actually good?  

It's definitely not all wrong, as it has Goff and Mariota (although Mariota is merely average so far). The jury is still out on Goff, but it looks promising.

25 minutes ago, mistakey said:

u really hate the big 12.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21514646/numbers-say-big-12-really-defensive-problem

big 12 seemingly better than the pac 12 last year for defenses
also, strong performances against out of conference Ohio State and Georgia

so, i guess, uh, nothing?

My eyes show me a pillowfight conference that puts no pressure on qbs and can't cover receivers. The old analytics also suggest big 12 qbs don't light up the pros. As for Georgia, stick the second half vs Georgia on from when they shut down the ridiculous run game and gadget stuff and finally put some pressure on him. Not pretty at all. About 5 passes completed in the entire half and OT.

Just now, MWil23 said:

I'm not sure, it just doesn't exactly scream confidence with such a small sample size that also includes Mason Rudolph and Cody Kessler. It only goes back a handful of years, so I'm naturally going to question it.

It's definitely not all wrong, as it has Goff and Mariota (although Mariota is merely average so far). The jury is still out on Goff, but it looks promising.

kessler could have been an outlier that year.  prob better to see the top 10 qbs from each of the past 5 years and see if those on the whole make sense.  very possible kessler had a fluke season where he strung together 10 amazing games in a weak conference with good weapons, which is possible when you got a weak arm.  to do it 3 years in a row though... thats slgithyl differnet.

1 minute ago, Aztec Hammer said:

My eyes show me a pillowfight conference that puts no pressure on qbs and can't cover receivers. The old analytics also suggest big 12 qbs don't light up the pros. As for Georgia, stick the second half vs Georgia on from when they shut down the ridiculous run game and gadget stuff and finally put some pressure on him. Not pretty at all. About 5 passes completed in the entire half and OT.

ok now do the pac 12

29 minutes ago, mistakey said:

out of the 5 people on that list, 3 of them went in the top 2 picks overall, 2 of them 1 overall.

pretty good indictment of using stats + eye test, no?

I don't care where they were drafted. Makes no difference to me whether it was 1st or 93rd.

Cody Kessler sucks. Mason Rudolph will probably suck. Jared Goff is a high class QB. Marcus Mariota is bang average.

All that list is showing me is a bunch of dudes that had awesome systems and surrounding casts in college. Aside from Jared Goff, who came out of the Air Raid but actually threw from the pocket with uncanny poise and anticipation whilst regularly getting drilled by defenders.

Just now, Aztec Hammer said:

I don't care where they were drafted. Makes no difference to me whether it was 1st or 93rd.

Cody Kessler sucks. Mason Rudolph will probably suck. Jared Goff is a high class QB. Marcus Mariota is bang average.

All that list is showing me is a bunch of dudes that had awesome systems and surrounding casts in college. Aside from Jared Goff, who came out of the Air Raid but actually threw from the pocket with uncanny poise and anticipation whilst regularly getting drilled by defenders.

you continually talk like getting drilled by defenders is a good thing
you realize qbs can shift protections to prevent this from happening
what if mayfield does that? (riley sat down with mmqb and said that he in fact did get a lot better at this as he progressed in college)

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/baker-mayfield-agent-new-england-patriots-trade-up-no-2-quarterback-new-york-jets-sam-darnold/2q930wpgseh914z4oaekm2xpq?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

in a bizarro world, say we take darnold and then belichick trades up for mayfield.  would you have thought differently about baker?  (prob not but oh well)

Just now, Aztec Hammer said:

Why are we doing the pac 12? I'm not talking about Darnold. But ok. Off the top of my head:

Aaron Rodgers.

John Elway.

Andrew Luck.

Troy Aikman.

Warren Moon.

Dan Fouts.

no, do the pac 12 last year, because i am talking about darnold.  your big gripe is that the big 12 sucks but the pac 12 sucked worse on defense last year.  darnold should be penalized for this if by your obsessions mayfield is

Just now, mistakey said:

you continually talk like getting drilled by defenders is a good thing
you realize qbs can shift protections to prevent this from happening
what if mayfield does that? (riley sat down with mmqb and said that he in fact did get a lot better at this as he progressed in college)

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/baker-mayfield-agent-new-england-patriots-trade-up-no-2-quarterback-new-york-jets-sam-darnold/2q930wpgseh914z4oaekm2xpq?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

in a bizarro world, say we take darnold and then belichick trades up for mayfield.  would you have thought differently about baker?  (prob not but oh well)

I talk about it because that's what happens in the nfl. If it was pitch and catch, cult icon spread qbs out of texas would be dominating the nfl right now.

No it wouldn't make a difference if Belichick traded up for Mayfield? Why would it? I have my own thoughts on the qbs and it would be lame to change them on a whim just because it turned out a coach, no matter how legendary, liked the guy.

Belichick also whiffed on a ton of QBs too.

Nobody knows it down to a science. But it's annoying to have pff bulljive and analytics thrown at me as if it's proof that Baker is the best QB prospect when really it means little considering degree of difficulty clearly isn't taken into account. After all, Cody Kessler is the second best dude they've ever analysed according to them.

also if we want to do near irrelevant historical evaluations of qbs based on their school
southern cal qbs dont exactly inspire confidence
palmer
sanchez
kessler (by your own admission he sucks)
leinart
marinovich
barkley
matt cassel
john david booty

Archived