Ravens 2018 Draft Grades/Analysis (Pundits/Media)

sp6488

For sharing and discussion of pundit/media assessments of the Ravens 2018 draft.

Starting it off, here is Hensley's take from ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/44784/baltimore-ravens-2018-draft-analysis-for-every-selection

No grade (which is fine as it's early) and it's pretty long (nor is there a ton of groundbreaking analysis), so I won't quote the whole thing.  An interesting tidbit about Seiler, though:

Round 7, No. 238 overall: Zach Sieler, DE, Ferris State

My take: Sieler is the first player to be drafted from Ferris State. But he will be forever remembered for something else: Newsome’s final pick in his last draft as Ravens general manager. He was one inch away from being what the Ravens call a special “30-30-30” player. That means Sieler scored 30 or above on the Wonderlic, recorded 30 or more lifts on the bench press and totaled 30 or more inches on the vertical leap.

How he fits: The Ravens see Sieler as a prototypical defensive end in their 3-4 defense. That’s been a trouble spot for Baltimore recently despite drafting three players for that role in the first four rounds over the past four years. Brent Urban has had trouble staying healthy, Bronson Kaufusi disappointed last season and Chris Wormley didn't get much playing time as a rookie.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Not sure how the average grades were compiled at the bottom, I assumed you would be using a GPA format but highest I know if 4.0, but everything else looks good.

I'm guessing its something like A = 1pt, A- = 2pts, B+ = 3pts, B= 4pts etc

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

I'm guessing its something like A = 1pt, A- = 2pts, B+ = 3pts, B= 4pts etc

I thought the same thing when I first saw this in the draft forum.  The scale is a little wonky, but maybe someone from another system compiled it?

Yeah, I feel old. I remember when I was in school it used to be:

A = 4

A- = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

B = 3.0

B- = 2.7

And so on and so forth. This looks like some sort of grade you assign in golf. Like a reverse score where the lower score is better vs the higher score.

10 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

The fact that the Giants are at the top of the list makes me disregard it as an indicator. The Giants would be at or very near the worst drafts for me. Keeping the #2 and drafting a RB was the worst move of the offseason.

This 100x.

Never forget the Colts one pick below them accepted a trade offer which gave them 3 2nd round picks, and all they had to do was drop to pick #6.

Simple logic and common sense would tell you the Giants were offered the exact same deal, if not one somewhat richer. Obviously the Jets would try to move up as high as possible.

The only position that could possibly hold more value than pick #6 in the draft and 3 2nd round picks would be a QB. Which is why everyone assumed the Giants didn't trade down, to select a QB at pick #2. They didn't and instead picked a running back, one of the easiest positions to find cheap production at in the league. 

17 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

The fact that the Giants are at the top of the list makes me disregard it as an indicator. The Giants would be at or very near the worst drafts for me. Keeping the #2 and drafting a RB was the worst move of the offseason.

Seriously. How does that move keep getting praise from people?! 

16 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Seriously. How does that move keep getting praise from people?! 

Because it’s New York AND it’s the media. They both only care about flashy, not as much about substance.

Saquan Barkley

Will Hernandez

or

Quenten Nelson

Nick Chubb/Derrius Guice/Ronald Jones

James Daniels

Connor Williams

2019 2nd round pick

They could have completely revamped the entirety of their offensive line AND a top 5 RB in this stacked RB class. Guice and Jones probably compliment Jonathan Stewart the best, but I would feel most confident with Chubb. Two fast and powerful RBs like Chubb and Stewart could really wear down defenses... oh and then they still would have an additional second round pick in 2019. ?‍♀️ 

Archived