2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

AJ Brown had a good combine. Now I'm worried he won't be there in the second, and his stock will have raised so high, that if we wanted him trading back into the first won't be realistic. Sad. My dream scenario is a 1-2 punch of Bosa, and then Brown.

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Count me in as a Thornhill supporter. 

Yeah I think you and me have been the biggest Thornhill advocates

I never believed for a second he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder. His tape is just too freaking good. It was just a matter of him checking all the boxes athletically. 

I watched a ton of tape on pretty much all the big time prospects@safety this year. Far more than I had planned to. And unequivocally, UVA football homerism aside, Thornhill had by far the most impressive tape. Now granted I watched all his games where as with other guys I probably only saw 3-4 games but Thornhill has the best ball skills and the highest ceiling of any of the top tier guys. I get that he didn't wow ppl at the Senior Bowl but he wouldn't be the first guy who didn't have a great week in Mobile, only to go on and kill it in the league. He has his warts as far as in the run game. He needs to become a better open field tackler and play with better tackling technique. He has a tendency to lunge at ball-carriers instead of squaring up and seeing what he hits. And he needs to be better at taking on blocks in and around the box. But as a true centerfielder and coverage safety, there were none better in college football for my money. Single high, zone, dropping over the slot and playing press-man, he did it all and at a extremely high level. And the thing is, this was his first year playing safety. So he has alot of room to grow into the position. Took him about 2-3 games to get adjusted early in the season but once he settled in, it was lights out, and the Belk Bowl was the culmination, as he led the way to our defensive secondary shutting out one of the more prolific passing teams in the SEC. I know alot guys like Adderly and he has some good tape as well, but he looked a bit more undisciplined in coverage from my perspective.

7 hours ago, Forge said:

I know 757 and myself are Thornhill supporters. His combine was a little too good lol. No way he's there in the third now, I think. 

I always thought the best value would be 2nd rd for our S. 

Speaking of Thornhill...Find this rather interesting. Walter is walter, but he's one of the few that even comments on how individual interviews go and their stock associated with it. Doesn't make him right or wrong, just noting that he's one of the few. 

2019 NFL Draft Stock Down 
Virginia_logo.gif Juan Thornhill, S, Virginia 
Thornhill is an intriguing prospect who had an excellent 2018 season. He has hard to find free safety skills with the ability to cover downfield. At the combine, Thornhill did well in the workout with good jumps and a fast 40 time. However, team sources say that his interview was bad, leaving them very disappointed. Thornhill needs to interview much better during his pro day and on pre-draft visits. 

What would you guys think of signing Tre Flowers? He was an absolute monster last year. The sack numbers weren't otherworldly or anything, but he was bringing constant pressure and was always flashing. If we sign him, then we can trade back in the draft and accumulate more picks and/or get OBJ. 

This way we can fill Foster's need with White in a trade back, or even still draft an edge/SAM if that's the direction we go in. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What would you guys think of signing Tre Flowers? He was an absolute monster last year. The sack numbers weren't otherworldly or anything, but he was bringing constant pressure and was always flashing. If we sign him, then we can trade back in the draft and accumulate more picks and/or get OBJ. 

This way we can fill Foster's need with White in a trade back, or even still draft an edge/SAM if that's the direction we go in. 

My biggest question would whether he's a natural for the leo spot. He's always been more of a power strong end, right? 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

My biggest question would whether he's a natural for the leo spot. He's always been more of a power strong end, right? 

Very true. He's not the prototypical Leo but neither is Frank Clark. I think he could behighly effective as a end but I've been wrong about edge guys switching schemes before. And he was used inside in their nickel ALOT so idk... that's never a good sign in terms of being a full-time edge.

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much smoke here. Cards are going Murray. 

Thought the same thing. There's too much smoke for there to be no fire. And that is very much to our benefit.

I mean...providing Murray isn't a future Hall of Famer, that is. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Speaking of Thornhill...Find this rather interesting. Walter is walter, but he's one of the few that even comments on how individual interviews go and their stock associated with it. Doesn't make him right or wrong, just noting that he's one of the few. 

Meh wouldn't worry me too much. I get these teams are about to invest a ton of money into these players so the process is worth it. But also they have to remember these are kids interviewing for life changing circumstances. I'd be a bit nervous/off my game getting hit from all angles. Seems to me there are a ton of coaches wasting value resources by having a staring contest or some of these other silly questions. 

Every yr we have clean prospects turn into NFL problems...and red flag guys turn into solid off the field players with no issues.

I thought it was interesting that when general manager John Lynch was asked what he wants in an edge rusher, the first descriptor he gave was “power.”

“I think power, having that power,” he said. “And hopefully, if you’re picking real high, it’s power, it’s bend, it’s all of it.”

No way that Bosa isn't the top rated player on our board if power is taking priority for Lynch. 

Archived