BDL Discussion Thread *OWNERS MEETING STARTS 1/31/18*

Jlash

45 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Shazier. Basically his 5th costs $8200 but since I will only use 1 3up if any, I wondered if I could use a 3UP to recude that $8200 price to a $7000ish one year deal (assuming of course he doesn't sign a new deal this offseason)

Yea as far as I remember, you can't 3 up a 5th year option. SirA would know better though. 

11 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I can only write my game plan. Something came up

Well London is handled, and Whick is doing Compton I'm not sure why you'd need to do more than 1 to begin with.

25 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Yea as far as I remember, you can't 3 up a 5th year option. SirA would know better though. 

Well London is handled, and Whick is doing Compton I'm not sure why you'd need to do more than 1 to begin with.

Because I am an overachiever 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Do we lose all of our waiver claims at the end of the year or can they be tagged like RFA?

Depends on their experience. 

Rookie and 2nd years become ERFAs

3rd year RFAs 

Others become UFA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

Still reading and trying to learn how all the contracts work. Quite an intricate system we have here.

It was simple at first, but when you have simple contracts some people tend to try to find ways to take advantage of them and twist them. That happened, a lot, early on. So we were forced to make changes.

42 minutes ago, Jlash said:

It was simple at first, but when you have simple contracts some people tend to try to find ways to take advantage of them and twist them. That happened, a lot, early on. So we were forced to make changes.

Makes sense.

So as I understand it, Khalil Mack would be a restricted free agent for me, but because I lack a 1st round pick I can't keep him?

3 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Makes sense.

So as I understand it, Khalil Mack would be a restricted free agent for me, but because I lack a 1st round pick I can't keep him?

Khalil Mack is in his fourth season so he'd actually be a UFA. However, he was drafted in the first round so you could sign him to his 5th year option instead of using one of your 3 ups on him.

And no RFA works the other way. If you tag an RFA with a first then the person who bids on them must have a first to give to you if you decline to match.

Edited by Whicker

Just now, Whicker said:

Khalil Mack is in his fourth season so he'd actually be a UFA. However, he was drafted in the first round so you could sign him to his 5th year option instead of using one of your 3 ups on him.

And no RFA works the other way. If you tag and RFA with a first then the person who bids on them must have a first to give to you if you decline to match.

Ah gotcha. Looks like the 5th year option will be the way to go.

Given the cap space London has, I'd suggest you actually exercise that 5th year option now so you can spread out his cap hit next year into this year as well. The 10k in cap space you have this year is going to waste otherwise since we don't carryover like the NFL does. 

47 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Ah gotcha. Looks like the 5th year option will be the way to go.

Exactly what Whicker said. If you tender Mack at a 1st rounder and get a bid ( you 100% certainly would) and choose not to match you'd get that teams 1st.

A guy like Malcolm Butler however, was a RFA last year and tendered and no one offered, so Taylor and PSID got to keep him for 1 year at the 1st round tender price. This year, you have no option but to 3 up him or let him walk.