Team Leader For Each Receiving Category In 2018?

the lone star

Which Current WR Will Be The #1?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which Current WR Will Lead The Team In Receiving TDs?

• Allen Hurns
    • Terrance Williams
    • Cole Beasley
    • Michael Gallup
    • Deonte Thompson
    • Noah Brown
    • Cedrick Wilson
  2. 2. Which Current WR Will Lead The Team In Receiving Yards?

• Allen Hurns
    • Terrance Williams
    • Cole Beasley
    • Michael Gallup
    • Deonte Thompson
    • Noah Brown
    • Cedrick Wilson
  3. 3. Which Current WR Will Lead The Team In Receptions?

• Allen Hurns
    • Terrance Williams
    • Cole Beasley
    • Michael Gallup
    • Deonte Thompson
    • Noah Brown
    • Cedrick Wilson

Hard poll to answer.  I think we all know what Cole/T.Will can do and how they are used, but I just have NO idea how the other WR's play into this.  Shoot, T.Will might not see the field that much, Thompson may released, and Wilson/Noah may go to the Practice squad. As for receiving TD's, I would've taken the option of "TE" in there, honestly.  I doubt anyone gets more than 6 rec TDs this season, so a if a TE steps-up and gets chemistry with Dak, he might be the preferred redzone target. Gonna be interesting.

1 hour ago, ///mcompact said:

Hard poll to answer.  I think we all know what Cole/T.Will can do and how they are used, but I just have NO idea how the other WR's play into this.  Shoot, T.Will might not see the field that much, Thompson may released, and Wilson/Noah may go to the Practice squad. As for receiving TD's, I would've taken the option of "TE" in there, honestly.  I doubt anyone gets more than 6 rec TDs this season, so a if a TE steps-up and gets chemistry with Dak, he might be the preferred redzone target. Gonna be interesting.

Well, I wanted to focus on WRs tbh. I thought about including RB and TE, but then there would be too many options.

I cant see Gallup leading the team in receiving yards when he still has to outplay Williams and Hurns for opening reps. In a three receiver package, no way Beasley is coming off the field this year. And assuming Gallup does edge off Williams as a starter (unlikely, given Williams impact as a blocker and red zone player), he still will not have the leg up on Hurns.

Gallup at this point is still the fourth man on the chart at best, and could easily be knocked down a leg if Noah Brown (going into year 3) can show what made him a perceived steal in round 5 a couple seasons ago.

Im rooting for Gallup, we need him to step up, but theres a lot working against him this season. And in truth, thats completely fine - a year in the system, a year with Dak in practice, and a year perfecting his routes will enable him to be a much bigger factor next year when Beasleys contract is up, Willkams can be cut without much loss, and the opening for him to step up is a much wider door to fit into.

Dont expect day 1 impact from Gallup. You will only be let down. Too many veteran hurdles in front of him. And that is not a bad thing, either. Could be very good for the kids career path to learn and compete for reps this year.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I cant see Gallup leading the team in receiving yards when he still has to outplay Williams and Hurns for opening reps. In a three receiver package, no way Beasley is coming off the field this year. And assuming Gallup does edge off Williams as a starter (unlikely, given Williams impact as a blocker and red zone player), he still will not have the leg up on Hurns.

Gallup at this point is still the fourth man on the chart at best, and could easily be knocked down a leg if Noah Brown (going into year 3) can show what made him a perceived steal in round 5 a couple seasons ago.

Im rooting for Gallup, we need him to step up, but theres a lot working against him this season. And in truth, thats completely fine - a year in the system, a year with Dak in practice, and a year perfecting his routes will enable him to be a much bigger factor next year when Beasleys contract is up, Willkams can be cut without much loss, and the opening for him to step up is a much wider door to fit into.

Dont expect day 1 impact from Gallup. You will only be let down. Too many veteran hurdles in front of him. And that is not a bad thing, either. Could be very good for the kids career path to learn and compete for reps this year.

Noah Brown was drafted last year, and was picked in round 7. 

I agree with everything else you said though.

31 minutes ago, the lone star said:

Noah Brown was drafted last year, and was picked in round 7. 

I agree with everything else you said though.

Hasnt it been two years? And yes youre right i was thinking the Devin Street guy from the 5th. But yep

2 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Only reason I have a lot of belief in Gallup is because he is a technician. Those kind of WR's usually have early success in the league if they aren't hindered by physical limitations  e.g. Amari Cooper, Cooper Kupp 

Amari ran a decently fast 40 though tbh.

3 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Hasnt it been two years? And yes youre right i was thinking the Devin Street guy from the 5th. But yep

Nah, Brown is entering his 2nd year. Same with Switzer, but obviously, he's no longer on the team.

Lance Lenoir is also going to be a 2nd year guy.

2 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Only reason I have a lot of belief in Gallup is because he is a technician. Those kind of WR's usually have early success in the league if they aren't hindered by physical limitations  e.g. Amari Cooper, Cooper Kupp 

What do you mean a technician?

His routes in college were about as on par with the average ncaa receiver entering the NFL in the first few rounds. Not stellar, not terrible, but nothing to really say wow over. 

Not much use of head, hip or foot diversions/fakes either. Had some issues freeing himself from physical zone coverage as well. 

So....what do you mean technician?

And its fine.to believe in Gallup. He has a ton of promise and has the makings of a.good receiver in this league. But who do you think he unseats? Beasley? No way, he is the short area outlet this offense will revolve around with Dak at the helm. Hurns? No way either, considering he is the best all around target on rhe team. Williams? Very unlikely, as a polished blocker, versatile route runner and experienced system player who has shown good red zone ability.

Likely, he plays most of the year as the 4th guy, with a likely best case scenario moving Williams off the #2 spot later in the year - IF he learns to block. 

Which is another thing working against Gallup: this team is run first by and large. And Williams, for all his faults and frustrations, is a big part of that. Ever watch film of him on a run play? Knocks off a corner and sprints up field to help clear out a.safety, time and time again. He is a big part of the offense even when he isnt playing well as a receiver.

6 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Agree for the most part, expect for the bold. TWill is about as much of a red zone threat as I am.  

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Agree for the most part, expect for the bold. TWill is about as much of a red zone threat as I am.  

In 2014 he had 8 scores with something like 6 or maybe 5 all coming in the red zone. Several toe tappers near the pylon as well.

2016,i think it was 2 of his 4 that came in the red zone.

He has a fairly good sized frame and his ability to lock in a catch on the sideline, keeping both feet in bounds, is pretty helpful in the redzone and particularly in the endzone. 

While, again, he leaves us flat and frustrated often, the few things he does pretty well have been a big help to the team at times. And, hate to keep mentioning it, but the film of his blocking looks more a Bill Parcells coached receiver than a JG coached one. If you stripped off the number and jersey color and watched him block from a high camera view, you could easily confuse him with Keyshawn or Hines. That same kind of double and triple effort, that same kind of follow through, and that same kind of aggression at the point of impact.

Cant say he has been a very good player, but his frame and sideline ability in the redzone/endzone, and that fierce blocking ability, makes him a tough veteran to unseat from his spot for any young receiver.

Archived