All-Inclusive OTA's Thread

Need to Know: The Redskins week that was—Rookie camp report, Guice a fan favorite

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-redskins-week-was-rookie-camp-report-guice-fan-favorite

Redskins 2017 draft picks who must step up this season—While the focus is on the newly acquired draft picks and free agents if the Redskins are going to improve this year some of the players already on the team will need to contribute more. The bulk of the members of that club are from the 2017 draft class. Who will this year’s versions for Kendall Fuller and Matt Ioannidis? 

A post-draft look at the possible Redskins defense three years from now—I was a little wary of posting a look three years down the road but after I wrote it I’m glad I did. And the posts did fairly well (you can find the post on the offense here) so that was a bonus. The best thing I found out while putting this together was the possible 2021 defensive; you can find it at the bottom of the post).

Redskins rookie camp practice report—The draft picks and other rookies get introduced to the NFL game, the rookies get introduced to the coaches, the media, and each other, and everybody (at least all of the draft picks) looks good. There are a few good takeaways to be had—Troy Apke’s makeup speed, Trey Quin’s ability to put a DB on the ground—the real action starts when they put the pads on down in Richmond. 

Perhaps I was late to the party. It looks like Guice already is a fan favorite and the hype train is starting to roll. He’s not anywhere near where RGIII was in 2012 but the dynamic is the same. 

It easy for everything to be great now. Guice is hustling and being a leader among the rookies and all is well. All of those red-hot draft day rumors about his character have vanished. The test will come if he fumbles at a key moment in a regular season game or if he has a three-week stretch where he averages 3.1 yards per carry. Then his upbeat personality might not play as well. Or it might not be as upbeat. And if he doesn’t take criticism well things could deteriorate further. 

Need to Know: Redskins 2017 draft picks who must step up this season

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-redskins-2017-draft-picks-who-must-step-season

CB Fabian Moreau—The Redskins let Bashaud Breeland walk and believed they could trade away Fuller in part because they think that Moreau will develop into a solid cornerback. He played just 59 snaps on defense last year with only seven of those coming in the last 11 games of the season so much of their faith is based on projection. 

OLB Ryan Anderson—He was expected to take some time to develop and although he might be a little behind schedule he should be a regular part of the rotation and a strong contributor this year.

C Chase Roullier— When Spencer Long went out with an injury Roullier stepped in to start in Week 8 and did a good job. He did miss three games with a broken hand he suffered in the Saints game (it should be noted that he finished that game with the broken hand, which was his snapping hand). This year, Roullier will be with the starters from the beginning of OTAs on and he should take a couple of steps forward.  

TE Jeremy Sprinkle—He was the No. 2 tight end for much of the year with Jordan Reed missing extensive time with injuries. I don’t see Sprinkle become a significant part of the passing offense, but he should get more opportunities and improve his blocking ability as well. 

DL Jonathan Allen and S Montae Nicholson—These two players are together because they didn’t seem to be having a problem with the rookie learning curve, but their seasons ended early with injuries. Both now are 100 percent physically (Allen nearly returned late last year) and should be ready to go. Everyone will keep a wary eye on both of them, particularly Nicholson, and just like any other players they could get injured again. But if they can stay healthy they should impact two levels of the defense starting Week 1.

On 5/12/2018 at 8:59 PM, lavar703 said:

Wouldn’t we be better off having good players more so than compensation picks? Maybe I’m crazy but the obsession with draft picks is getting out of hand. Let’s let all of our good players go because we might potentially hit on another draft pick...or ya know, we could let Crowder walk and end up with another Matt Jones type pick. 

Exactly!

Out of all the acquisitions and new storylines that we have this season, I'm most interested in Ryan Anderson's development. Seems like the guy has always started slow but his attitude and work ethic overtime has pushed him through and he's succeeded at every stop. Hope that the case in the NFL, despite his lack of elite measurables/athleticism. 

Alex Smith said after Wednesday’s practice that the last few weeks of the offseason program have been great for his rapport with his new receivers and felt everyone was ready to go for OTAs this week. That was evident with another new weapon – Paul Richardson Jr. – who showed off his speed and route-running ability throughout the day. Jamison Crowder believes Richardson will provide a similar presence as DeSean Jackson, noticed on a deep ball down the right sideline that Richardson collected out of the reach of Greg Stroman. Their deep ball chemistry should be fun to watch as practices continue throughout the next couple of weeks. 

-- It should be noted that Guice, even without real pads on, looks like he will be an explosive and shifty player. From the snap, he fired out of the backfield and often found holes juking around defenders.

-- The defensive line has been run as a rotation in seasons past, and the trend seems to be continuing. 

Practice Notes: 2018 OTAs, Day 2

https://www.redskins.com/news/practice-notes-2018-otas-day-2

^ more good stuff in there... :) 

58 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Out of all the acquisitions and new storylines that we have this season, I'm most interested in Ryan Anderson's development. Seems like the guy has always started slow but his attitude and work ethic overtime has pushed him through and he's succeeded at every stop. Hope that the case in the NFL, despite his lack of elite measurables/athleticism. 

Yeah, I think Anderson is just a high motor type that doesn’t quit. He’s a stout run defender too. I hate to compare him to greats but he is the size of JAMES Harrison, Dumerville and Dwight Freeney. 

Not saying he’s going to be them, but if he can be half of them and take over for Kerrigan at LOLB in 4 or 5 years that’ll be good.

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Hearing Fat Rob has slimmed and toned right much. Any shots of him someone could toss up.

He did that last year too. I haven’t been able to find any confirmation on it though. I have a hard time believing he’s going to make the team other than the fact that he has seemed like a “Gruden pet” since they signed him as an udfa.

I guess his nickname could be “Robert Gruden” if he makes the team and Perine and/or Martez Carter outperform him this summer.

Cool. IIRC, he had plenty of injuries throughout. That's always a concern, but if he can impress his way onto the P-squad, more power to him. While the roster can't be considered loaded with "proven" talent at WR, I have to say that I really like the options we'll be seeing this season. If the TEs can stay healthy, we could be in for a great year! :) 

Archived