Top 10 CB

Scout

William Jackson III is a name to watch this year. I’m not willing to crown him yet, but giving his small sample size last year he has the potential makings of an elite cover corner. I’ve never seen any corner cover Antonio Brown better than he did in their two meetings last year (two meetings, 7 targets, 0 passes allowed, 4 pass breakups).

Also: this...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-best-cornerbacks-in-the-nfl

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

If you combine half a dozen advanced cornerback coverage metrics you could make the case that William Jackson III had the greatest statistical season PFF has seen over the past 12 seasons.

Missing his entire rookie season due to injury, Jackson’s first NFL action came in 2017, and for some reason the Bengals didn’t employ him as a full-time player despite clear evidence he was the best coverage player in their secondary.

He allowed just 34.9 percent of passes thrown his way to be caught (the best mark in the league), a passer rating of 36.1 (the second-best), just 0.4 yards per coverage snap (by far the best) and went 26.4 snaps in coverage for every catch he surrendered – five more than any other corner.

Question: How much does the elite pass rushing unit in Sacksonville influence Bouye/Ramsey’s effectiveness? Are they really THAT good? Ramsey was as elite a corner prospect as you can produce, so his dominance is legitimate. But Bouye? What say you.

Also, Skins’ fans: how did Norman look last year?

Ravens fans: Jimmy Smith?

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Question: How much does the elite pass rushing unit in Sacksonville influence Bouye/Ramsey’s effectiveness? Are they really THAT good? Ramsey was as elite a corner prospect as you can produce, so his dominance is legitimate. But Bouye? What say you.

Bouye was great in Houston the year before when Watt missed a bunch of time. So as a starter, he's been about as good as you can ask for.

22 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

William Jackson III is a name to watch this year. I’m not willing to crown him yet, but giving his small sample size last year he has the potential makings of an elite cover corner. I’ve never seen any corner cover Antonio Brown better than he did in their two meetings last year (two meetings, 7 targets, 0 passes allowed, 4 pass breakups).

Also: this...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-best-cornerbacks-in-the-nfl

There's a lot of good stats out there for WJIII, excited to see how he does this year with the hype around him.  Never want to crown a corner after just one good season.

That said, the most impressive stat that I saw from WJIII was that from weeks 11-17, he averaged ~30 coverage snaps per game and allowed 8 receiving yards.  8 yards over the course of 7 games.

"Of the 68 CBs to play 175-plus coverage snaps in said span, Jackson is the only CB to allow fewer than 113 yards; he allowed eight".  Let's see how he does year 2 (technically 3)...

On 5/20/2018 at 11:23 AM, Elusive_Tiger said:

Top 10 CBs:

1. Jalen Ramsey

2. Casey Hayward

3. Patrick Peterson

4. Marshon Lattimore

5. AJ Bouye

6. Darius Slay

7. Xavier Rhodes

8. William Jackson III

9. Marcus Peters

10. Jimmy Smith

HM: Desmond Trufant, Richard Sherman, Tre White

This doesn't make much sense Lattimore is 4th but White is a HM. Those two rookies need to be much closer. White I think was just a tad below Lattimore. Both CBs were better at certain points of the season.

I'd go

1. Jalen Ramsey

2. Xavier Rhodes

3. AJ Bouye

4. Casey Hayward

5. Darius Slay

6. Marshon Lattimore

7. Patrick Peterson

8. Marcus Peters

9. Tredavious White

10. Richard Sherman

Archived