OTA Updates

ReggieCamp

21 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Depends if he is the best QB on the roster. If he is he should play. If he is terrible then you are right, he shouldn't see the field. Russell Wilson won the job as a rookie. So did Kizer. Tom Brady didn't and neither did Brady Quinn. There is no one way to do things. I prefer playing the guys who give us the best chance to win. If it is Baker, so be it. If it is Taylor, so be it. I don't not play someone because he is a rookie though.

I understand that but if it’s close or a tie. I would rather go with the vet. 

Yeah it could be like a russel Wilson situation but I think it be tougher because Tyrod is a better veteran QB than Matt Flynn. 

I just don’t want to rush a guy. They have basically rushed every young QB they have had and it never worked. If Baker shows he is the best, he is the best, if not, it’s not the end of the world but Tyrod is a really good QB 

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

I understand that but if it’s close or a tie. I would rather go with the vet. 

Yeah it could be like a russel Wilson situation but I think it be tougher because Tyrod is a better veteran QB than Matt Flynn. 

I just don’t want to rush a guy. They have basically rushed every young QB they have had and it never worked. If Baker shows he is the best, he is the best, if not, it’s not the end of the world but Tyrod is a really good QB 

Yeah, I agree with that. Even as the #1 overall pick, and that would be the same no matter which QB we took there, I would expect Taylor to be able to beat out a rookie unless he lights it up like Wilson did. I just don't want to eliminate him and say I want him to sit all year for the sake of not playing him, if he proves to be the best he should play. If he proves to be behind Stanton as a QB he should be 3rd string.

We haven't started every QB right away. Yeah they played as rookies because the season was lost but Manziel, Quinn, Couch, Kessler, McCoy all started their rookie season as 2nd or 3rd string. Injuries or terrible play or the season already being over for the Browns is why they saw time but none of them failed because they were rushed. Couch failed because he didn't have an offensive line. Kizer, maybe but unless he gets more accurate he was doomed to fail anyway. Weeden was almost 30 and played professional sports so he wasn't really rushed, he was aged before he was even drafted.

If Tyrod is our best QB to start the year he should be our QB. If Baker passes him up prior to the start of the season he should start. Practice means a lot to our staff that is one reason Kessler was inactive most of the year after playing decent as a rookie and why Kizer started even though he played terrible as a rookie... he looked good in practice.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

If Tyrod is our best QB to start the year he should be our QB. If Baker passes him up prior to the start of the season he should start. Practice means a lot to our staff that is one reason Kessler was inactive most of the year after playing decent as a rookie and why Kizer started even though he played terrible as a rookie... he looked good in practice.

This pisses me off, there are heas of guys that suck or look worse in practice and are ballers when things get real. Big armed guys always look better in practice than people like kessler. I believe in aiming ofr perfect practice , but it should also be like a lab where you try things. 

also i remember weeks where we played rugby and we would be awesome on thursday, and then on game day we would be awful. Or you could have a practice and things go terribly and then on game day you rock it. Practice and the games are different things. 

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

This pisses me off, there are heas of guys that suck or look worse in practice and are ballers when things get real. Big armed guys always look better in practice than people like kessler. I believe in aiming ofr perfect practice , but it should also be like a lab where you try things. 

also i remember weeks where we played rugby and we would be awesome on thursday, and then on game day we would be awful. Or you could have a practice and things go terribly and then on game day you rock it. Practice and the games are different things. 

Yeah, odds are if you are good in practice you will be good in games and vice/versa but it doesn't always work that way. I'm not a good practice player at any sport, I guess I need the adrenaline of the game to have 100% focus and effort. Made it hard for me to make teams sometimes but I stayed in games once I got in games.

26 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, odds are if you are good in practice you will be good in games and vice/versa but it doesn't always work that way. I'm not a good practice player at any sport, I guess I need the adrenaline of the game to have 100% focus and effort. Made it hard for me to make teams sometimes but I stayed in games once I got in games.

I agree generally it is true. 
But it is part of the problem with the combine, it rewards the people who look best in their active-ware. 
should we be surprised that Hue couldn't figure it out though?

On 6/6/2018 at 2:12 AM, Thomas5737 said:

You could be exception. I hate the term gamer. To me the term gamer was someone who was too lazy to practice or keep focus in meeting/practices. To me the guys who were gamers were the ones that made a mistake or missed a read that they should of had down because of practice or watching film. 

Couldn’t trust a player in a game if they proved nothing during practice. 

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

You could be exception. I hate the term gamer. To me the term gamer was someone who was too lazy to practice or keep focus in meeting/practices. To me the guys who were gamers were the ones that made a mistake or missed a read that they should of had down because of practice or watching film. 

Practice is mostly for the mental side of things imo.  If a guy doesn’t give 110% in practices, but is aces in games and knows his assignments, that’s all that really matters.

44 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Practice is mostly for the mental side of things imo.  If a guy doesn’t give 110% in practices, but is aces in games and knows his assignments, that’s all that really matters.

I viewed it as a time to work on things. Do things I wouldn't normally do in a game to see if they work better. They usually don't. Kinda like golf, I'm bad at golf because I'm always working on my game. Once I get good enough and don't have to do that (won't ever happen) I would probably be a better or more consistent golfer. Also, I liked to have fun in practice and clown around and show off, so there was that too. Nothing funny about a game but practice can hilarious.

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

Jeff Garcia was terrible in practice. It wasn’t for a lack of effort. Kessler wasn’t great in practice either, much better in games. 

I don’t think it correlates to effort, it can be the lack of external pressure in practice. The pressure of a game can sharpen people. 

Archived