Battlefield V

Norm

Just now, Norm said:

Love the summary. Thanks! Though I do think bc2 still had the mortar strike for recon.. Pretty confident. But that's besides the point lol

Yeah, I mean I probably missed a few small steps but generally speaking snipers have been nerfed in every iteration of BF from BC1 to BF4 and have stayed relatively steady since then. As someone who religiously snipes in BF and is pretty damn freaking good at it, it's been sad to watch.

This game feels pretty good to me, but I've literally only been sniping. Last night I finally got my first 1st-place finish in a game at 42-6 in the city map. However, I'm already starting to see signs of this game going down the same path BF3, BF4 and BF1 did for me - and that is that I'll play it for maybe a month and then eventually get bored of it because there's no variation to how you can play the recon/sniper class anymore.

So unless there's some really good game modes or something, I fear this game is going to fizzle out pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This game feels pretty good to me, but I've literally only been sniping. Last night I finally got my first 1st-place finish in a game at 42-6 in the city map. However, I'm already starting to see signs of this game going down the same path BF3, BF4 and BF1 did for me - and that is that I'll play it for maybe a month and then eventually get bored of it because there's no variation to how you can play the recon/sniper class anymore.

So unless there's some really good game modes or something, I fear this game is going to fizzle out pretty quickly.

The recon class in BFBC2 was so good.  I have no clue why they messed with it. 

The game will fizzle out quickly because it's a reskinned Battlefield 1.  The only people who are going to play this for the long haul are hardcore Battlefield heads.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Play a different class..?

Sniping is what I'm very good at and what I enjoy. I don't enjoy doing anything else.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

The recon class in BFBC2 was so good.  I have no clue why they messed with it. 

The game will fizzle out quickly because it's a reskinned Battlefield 1.  The only people who are going to play this for the long haul are hardcore Battlefield heads.

Indeed it was, same with BC1. I used to be one of those hardcore BF heads, but this game has just gotten so stale lately.

31 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Indeed it was, same with BC1. I used to be one of those hardcore BF heads, but this game has just gotten so stale lately.

Agreed.  I was playing last night and just thinking to myself... This game is just the same thing every year.  What happened to the building and all that stuff that was hyped months ago?  I haven't seen a single person build anything in this game.  Nothing changes except the maps.  I guess the formula is considered good by the fans of the series, so I can't blame them for sticking with it.  I just want a change of pace with BFBC3.

I'm not trying to say this game is bad, but not living up to the hype.

Just now, showtime said:

Agreed.  I was playing last night and just thinking to myself... This game is just the same thing every year.  Nothing changes except the maps.  I guess the formula is considered good by the fans of the series, so I can't blame them for sticking with it.  I just want a change of pace with BFBC3.

I'm not trying to say this game is bad, but not living up to the hype.

Honestly I feel like the 64 player count thing is part of the problem. It's just way too casual and there's no real strategy that can ever be deployed in this game with that kind of stuff happening. Add in the fact that there's almost no incentive to communicate with your teammates ever.

I feel if they went back down to the maybe 8v8 or 12v12 that used to be BF and brought back actual incentives to communicate or opened the com lines you'd see a huge difference in the way the game is played. And also if they shrunk the overall map size and made the maps a lot more strategic rather than just huge sandboxes that look great.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Honestly I feel like the 64 player count thing is part of the problem. It's just way too casual and there's no real strategy that can ever be deployed in this game with that kind of stuff happening. Add in the fact that there's almost no incentive to communicate with your teammates ever.

I feel if they went back down to the maybe 8v8 or 12v12 that used to be BF and brought back actual incentives to communicate or opened the com lines you'd see a huge difference in the way the game is played. And also if they shrunk the overall map size and made the maps a lot more strategic rather than just huge sandboxes that look great.

Interesting you say that.  One of my Overwatch friends played the beta last night and one of the comments they made was, "This game is way too chaotic.  There's no order or team work in this game.  I spawn and then die shortly after from someone I can't even see.  I have no idea where I'm getting shot from 90% of the time I die."

I thought there was a game mode that was smaller that will be in the retail game?

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

Interesting you say that.  One of my Overwatch friends played the beta last night and one of the comments they made was, "This game is way too chaotic.  There's no order or team work in this game.  I spawn and then die shortly after from someone I can't even see.  I have no idea where I'm getting shot from 90% of the time I die."

I thought there was a game mode that was smaller that will be in the retail game?

I'm sure there will be smaller game modes with smaller maps, but even then Battlefield itself has always been about big(ger) maps and larger scale gameplay. That doesn't mean you need 32 players on each team, though. It really does make the game completely chaotic and unorganized.

Like, if they put these graphics on the BF2:MC maps with 12v12 gameplay on Conquest, it'd be freaking amazing. But instead they're trying to make these epic 64 player battles on sandboxes with no communication and I mean I can only handle so much of that.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm sure there will be smaller game modes with smaller maps, but even then Battlefield itself has always been about big(ger) maps and larger scale gameplay. That doesn't mean you need 32 players on each team, though. It really does make the game completely chaotic and unorganized.

Like, if they put these graphics on the BF2:MC maps with 12v12 gameplay on Conquest, it'd be freaking amazing. But instead they're trying to make these epic 64 player battles on sandboxes with no communication and I mean I can only handle so much of that.

I think PC has always been like that, though.  Wasn't 12v12 on BFBC2 only like that on console because back then it couldn't handle 64 players?  I remember when BF4 came out on Xbox 360, it was 32 players while the Xbox One version was 64 players and that was the first time Battlefield had ever been that big on console.

Speaking of BF4.  I like that game a lot better than BF1 or this BF5 beta.  The main issue with that game (and it was a massive issue) was that the servers were dreadful and it took them like 5 months to fix that problem.  Constantly couldn't find games, get dropped out of games, etc.

41 minutes ago, showtime said:

I think PC has always been like that, though.  Wasn't 12v12 on BFBC2 only like that on console because back then it couldn't handle 64 players?  I remember when BF4 came out on Xbox 360, it was 32 players while the Xbox One version was 64 players and that was the first time Battlefield had ever been that big on console.

Speaking of BF4.  I like that game a lot better than BF1 or this BF5 beta.  The main issue with that game (and it was a massive issue) was that the servers were dreadful and it took them like 5 months to fix that problem.  Constantly couldn't find games, get dropped out of games, etc.

To the bolded - Yes, and it was an unintended feature that ended up making the game perfect. Every player was important to the team - every vehicle had a specific role. There wasn't just 32 people wandering around the map doing nothing or doing something. You could actually do strategic things and make the game really fun. Now it's just mindless killing like Call of Duty, but on a larger scale.

I honestly think though that if Battlefield went back to the maps like they had in BF2:MC (Deadly Pass, Backstab, Bridge Too Far) - maps that were big but offered a lot of strategy, and went back to 12v12 Conquest, I think they'd get a lot better of a reception than they're receiving now where it seems like they're trying to just jam as many people possible into these sandbox maps with zero strategy or communication and saying "Have fun!".

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

To the bolded - Yes, and it was an unintended feature that ended up making the game perfect. Every player was important to the team - every vehicle had a specific role. There wasn't just 32 people wandering around the map doing nothing or doing something. You could actually do strategic things and make the game really fun. Now it's just mindless killing like Call of Duty, but on a larger scale.

I honestly think though that if Battlefield went back to the maps like they had in BF2:MC (Deadly Pass, Backstab, Bridge Too Far) - maps that were big but offered a lot of strategy, and went back to 12v12 Conquest, I think they'd get a lot better of a reception than they're receiving now where it seems like they're trying to just jam as many people possible into these sandbox maps with zero strategy or communication and saying "Have fun!".

That's what I do when I play.  I pretty much just run around and try and find people to kill.  Trying to cap flags is pointless at times because there's nobody else on your team with you and you're running into an area loaded with enemies. 

Just now, showtime said:

That's what I do when I play.  I pretty much just run around and try and find people to kill.  Trying to cap flags is pointless at times because there's nobody else on your team with you and you're running into an area loaded with enemies. 

And that's how they're marketing this game. 64 players in one game, just find and kill people. I usually sit on one flag the whole game and just kill people running to my flag or other flags.

This game is not designed/marketed to be a game where you strategically work with your teammates to take and hold objectives.

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And that's how they're marketing this game. 64 players in one game, just find and kill people. I usually sit on one flag the whole game and just kill people running to my flag or other flags.

This game is not designed/marketed to be a game where you strategically work with your teammates to take and hold objectives.

That's actually a good strategy.  Just sit on your flag and you're bound to get plenty of kills from enemies running into you, instead of you being the one running around aimlessly getting shot in your back or the side constantly. 

One of the big things about this game that people were hyped about months and months ago was that you can build cover, fortifications, etc.  Nobody uses it.  Another thing people were super hyped for is that every class can now revive.... People don't even know about this.  There's countless times I see people run past people they can revive and they have no clue they can do it because they're not playing medic.  People just have it so ingrained that they have to play this game a certain way because of how the past 3-4 titles have been.

I think this beta runs into early next week, so I'm going to try to play more and more over this weekend.

Archived